Help needed for new PT2 coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
I'm using a Protank with an MVP2, and am wanting to begin building my own coils. As I'm in China, finding the exact coil for my needs will take much work due to the language barrier. Getting by in Chinese is fine, discussing electronics isn't!

I like a 2.5ohm coil in my PT2, running at 3.3/3.4v. I think that to make a 2.5ohm coil, (I'll experiment with the wraps), I need around a 28-32 gauge, (though in China I believe wire is measured in mm, not gauge - I may be way off here, it's all new to me).

I have found this resistance wire online, I'd like your thoughts:

ELECTRIC RESISTANCE WIRE
Name: Cr20Ni80-Nickel-chromium wire
Wire diameter: 0.2mm
Resistance per metre: 33.9 w/m
Highest temperature: 1500 ° c
Life expectancy: dry 500h 20,000 times

... and just to double check, I do need resistance wire, NOT non-resistance! Correct!?

As for a wick, I have found some 2mm and 2.5 mm online. Any experience with these? Or I may just buy some drug store cotton balls and boil anything untoward out of them.

If you have any thoughts, I'd be very grateful!

cryptic

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
A2, MI
For that high resistance I'd think 32g or maybe 30. I think 3mm silica is a bit big and you may choke it if you use it for the flavor wick but you could always make it a bit thinner.

I've done quite a few and use microcoils and cotton. One of my favorites is 2 wire twisted using 32g in the 1.6 realm. I like the 2.2ohm on a PT2 and that seemed pretty comporable if not better. If using cotton, just keep it light especially for the flavor wick. It does seem to "thicken" up a bit. I put some of the microcoil specs in here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZEtmY0pPYzBvdUw2blJHVjdkc1E&usp=sharing#gid=0

This is a pretty priceless resource as well:
PV Web Apps

Exbat

Apr 21, 2014
Beaverton, OR, USA
Check out powerstream.com/Wire_SizeDOThtm for help with wire sizes (sorry, can't post links). It looks like the one you are looking at is ~32AWG Nichrome.

For wick, be aware that it will be very difficult to thread silica through a beautiful coil AND have it be a snug fit. I bought 32AWG Kanthal and 2.5mm wick to build coils for my brand new shiny Igo-S RBA. I used a short length of 12 gauge solid copper wire (= roughly 2mm in diameter) as a jig and 4 wraps got me to around 2.0 ohms. I somehow managed to thread the wick through the coil, after moistening but found I needed to squeeze the coil slightly to snug it around the wick. This would not be an issue if you used cotton. The other approach would be to wrap the coil around the silica wick using a pin, paper clip etc. for support but your wraps likely won't be as evenly spaced.

Hope this helps, and YES, you need resistance wire. :)

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
You will not fit a 2.5 ohm coil wrapped with 28ga wire in a PT head. Ain't gonna happen. I would use 32ga, try 6 wraps on 2mm silica if you are not going to build micro coils. I use cotton as wick myself, so I am just guessing there, but it should be close if you are using 2mm silica wick. I would use Kanthal A-1 wire.

If you decide to wick micro coils with organic cotton, then use 30ga. Wrap 9 wraps on a 1/16" mandrel for 1.8 ohms. I run my PT's with this very coil, and they are superb both in vapor production and flavor. I vape them at ~3.7 volts + or - according to juice. Good luck.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I am trying to rebuild protank coils right now and having terrible results.. I've tryed 28 gauge, 12 wraps on a 5/64 drill bit and it is reading 1.6 ohms and its terrible. barely any vapor at all.. I have 32 gauge but its so flimsy it is difficult to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32ga. is very springy. Try running the wire through a flame (a lighter, candle or even a gas stove will work) before wrapping it. This will help remove the spring and help the wraps keep their shape.

As for the wraps, 12 wraps on a protank head seems a lot - I don't know how you managed to squeeze them in there. If you use 32ga, try about 6 wraps to start - that will give you around 1.7 ohms.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Really? Ok I will try that. I've been wrapping, squeezing, torching. But if I heat before wrapping it won't be so damn springy?

Yes sir, when you heat it you'll see it physically change and become much easier to work with. Let us know how you get on.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Ok, and as for the organic cotton. Should I be using as much as I think I would need. More than? Less than?

Less is more.

As far as gauge of Kanthal to use, I've been using 30ga and it works very well. There are also some threads in the Clearomizer subforum that can help a lot.

Here is a fuzzy pic of some coils I made earlier for a dual coil experiement. 11/12 wraps around a 18guage needle, somewhere around 2.3Ω individually. Fit fine in a PT3 head, one of them would have fine in a PT2 head.

dualcoils.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread