Hey guys, I really need some advice! (New Member)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
What's up everyone, I came across this forum after researching Vapes and judging from what I've read on here, this place is very akin to the FC forums.. only for E cigs Moderated! Much like that forum, this place has a wealth of information! :)

Anyhow here's my story:

I'm 41 years old and have been smoking cigarettes off and on when since I was 16 to cover up Moderated at the time (doesn't everyone?) and I guess to fit in.. I dunno lol! I can't remember the frequency I smoked from the ages of 16 to 18 but I'd say I really developed a habit right out of high school in 92 when I began to work.

Now here's the kicker.. somewhere in 1996 or so I quit the habit for 3 years then picked it back up again in 2002 or 2003. Then, I started and stopped again for another 3 years or so. In 2006 or 2007 (sorry I didn't keep track on the dates) I started up again after going back to school and have been smoking ever since.

Each time I quit, I quit cold turkey.. no patch, no gum, nothing but just never buying a pack again. I didn't find it all too difficult really except for the first week and of course getting used to not having a cigarette when I drink and use Moderated on occassion. To sum it up, I quit smoking 3 times already and each time was for roughly 3 years give or take.

So why am I here.. well.. It's been more difficult this time and although I probably don't need to use vaping as crutch to stop cigarettes, I wanted to see what the whole vaping trend was all about and after reading testimonials from others who have quit through vaping, I thought I would give it a shot.

I talked to a lot of people at vape shops and through my research I decided on the Joyetech Ego One Mega Vape since it has a large tank, good battery and produces flavorful and much more than adequate sized clouds of vapor for anyone trying to quit. Hell compared to the Protank I had with my Vision Spinner 2 before this thing is a beast and from my standards those are some thick clouds!

Anyhow I'm really happy with the flavor and density of my Pineapple and Butterscotch Vanilla Custer Ejuices out of the Mega Tank and although I mainly use the unit at home, I do take it with sometimes in the car and in my pocket and I've never had a leak yet. Anyhow I need to get a back up vape and was thinking of either just getting another Ego One Mega or a kit that is very similiar. By similiar I mean easy to use with one button and although I may get flak for saying this.. I'm not keen with the idea of vapes that deal with wattage, volts, temperature control and all that stuff. I don't know about any of it at all and my only experience with variable voltage anything is with my Vision 2 Spinner battery.

I'm not saying I'm not open to the idea of something like a Kangertech Subtank Mini or Evic but right now I would prefer a system without all the options. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I was thinking of this thing I came across just yesterday that is basically a larger Ego One but from a different company. And since finding out that they share the same coils it seems like this would be a no brainer. What do you guys think?

Wismec Venti Kit - Joyetech Wismec - Starter Kits

I also noticed that there are new Ego Ones with Variable Temp or Temp Control as they call it with Nickle and Titanium heads? While it sounds nice I prefer simplicity and to be honest I don't mind the battery charge dictating the temperature of my juice. Even on it's lowest charge before it blinks 40 times, the vapor and density is just fine and I have no problem with the quality of the vapor towards the end of my batteries's charge.

I look at things like the Evic and Subtank Mini and Honestly it just seems like a headache.. I'm a vape and go kind of guy and I don't really want to have to learn about wattages, volts, and think about what head I' using. In the end, while I'm curious about these devices, I actually don't plan on vaping forever as I don't plan on trading up cigarettes for vaping the rest of my life. My goal is to vape for a little while, maybe 6 months to a year and after that, I plan on quitting vaping cold turkey just as I have done with cigs 3 times before.

My reason for posting.. can anyone recommend any other vapes that are similiar to the Ego One in function? Or should I actually consider one of these fancier box type styles? As I said, right now I just need a backup vape.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Can I be honest?

You don't need to buy a complete kit. I prefer small box mods over almost any form factor these days, so would rather vape that than a fat and stubby battery with a tank on top.

I think of 'parts' as - you buy a mod and a tank. Going up or down with the watts is up to your taste. Everything else is unnecessary or for tweakers or hobbyist or fun.

The trouble with the eGo ONE and the new Wismec is there is less control over the vape. I like to vape at 12-18 watts and if I walked into a shop and bought, say, an iJust 2, then I'd be vaping at some stupidly high power. These kits are just so one dimensional. You start at high power than it just gets weak (presumably)... so if you got used to vaping at 35 watts, then two hours later, you'll be down to 30, then 20 then it's as good as dead.

For me, a 1.0ohm coil on a non-adjustable battery might work out about right.
BUT, I'd rather have a 1.0hm coil on a mod that does 5-50 watts so I've covered all the bases.

I can rebuild and do drippers and mechs and, well, most things, but 95% of the time, I just vape and go. Doing that without some adjust-ability is just wrong to me.

Having said that, I would LOVE to have an iJust or eGo ONE, I just feel I'd be disappointed not to have an option to set my vape to my power.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
Thank you a so much for taking the time out to reply and try to help out. I prefer complete kits and not mixing and matching components unless I'm 100% sure they are compatible or ask around first.

When you say one dimensional what exactly do you mean? Is it because there is no temperature control and the volts that this puts out is dependent on the battery's current charge level. If my memory serves me right, the Ego One is supposed to start out at 4.2 and then drop down to 3.2 in which case it blinks 40 times and we absolutely have to charge it. Also I was told that the EGO ONE, Ijust and Venti are un regulated? So un regulated means that the we simply don't have a Variable Wattage or Voltage or that it doesn't maintain it? I would go for the latter but I'm really not sure.

The two that people are telling me to get are the Kanger Subbox Mini or the Evic Mini. But again I don't know about wattage, or anything like that. There appears to be a guide on Kanger's and Joyetech's websites that gives you the wattage or temperature range for different coil types? I'm really confused and would really like to decide on something by tomorrow just in case there are any Cyber Monday sales going on online.

Would one of these be better? It seems to me like I have a whole lot more to think about with different coil heads, and now wattages and temps thrown into the mix. If you can let me know if these 2 that I mentioned are indeed beginner's devices I may consider it but I'm still intimidated by all this and very confused.

Thanks again, and let me know what you think.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
The Kanger Subbox Mini kit would be the way to go here if picking different items is not your cup of tea. Although you still need to pick a battery and a reliable charger.

As far as unregulated goes - your belief about them is correct. The battery starts off (usually) @ 4.2V and slowly works it's way down to 3.7V, all the way down to 3.0V (depending on the battery used). When it hits the dead zone - it stops. You then have to charge the device whereas with the Kanger kit, you pull the dead battery, install a charged one and back to vaping (if you have multiple batteries). Almost all batteries perform this way - however regulated devices will attempt to pull what you have set until the battery can't handle the power draw.

This is where the REGULATED items come into play. Regulated devices are becoming the norm with a lot of people over there unregulated counterparts. First off, they're generally safer - due to the components in them - second, they can perform a wide variety of functions, and last they give you the ability to tailor your vape needs as you see fit. They will also help you identify a problem with your atomizer should one arise. Usually with on-screen warnings like "NO ATTY", "CHECK ATTY", "SHORT", "WEAK BATTERY", "CHECK BATTERY", "CHARGE BATTERY", etc. Don't worry too much about the wattage (too much), voltage, or temperature stuff for now. As the Kanger Subbox kit uses standard Kanthal coil heads - so Temperature Control (TC) is out with this one - which is good for a beginner. As far as wattage is concerned - wattage is just a power setting - you set it, it adjusts your voltage automatically against the set resistance and applies it as needed. My advice here, start with your wattage turned down and adjust UP until your voltage hits 3.7V (since the device has a screen that displays your info) and then adjust UP if you need more and DOWN if you need less. Don't sweat the settings here. Variable voltage is more fine tuning. Variable Wattage (VW) devices are replacing Variable Voltage (VV) devices in mass quantities. So opt for a VW device.

TC units are a completely different beast altogether as they use Nickel (Ni200), Titanium (Ti01 / Ti02) and Stainless Steel (SS) to regulate temperatures that help prevent burnt hits. These usually have a pretty high learning curve (depending on where you're coming from) and also are more user intensive with the "Enter menu here, select material there, adjust temperature here, adjust wattage there..." before you can even THINK about vaping. Once you've played with it long enough though, you get used to navigating through the menus and it becomes second nature.

Now as to why I suggest the Kanger kit: First it's going to offer an AMPLE amount of power for you - again don't worry about the settings, start low, adjust up to what YOU think is good - second, it can fire a wide array of atomizers / resistances, and last - it's an all inclusive kit at a reasonable price (with the exception of the batteries and charger). The tank that comes with it is an absolute joy to work with and the device itself isn't bad at all. All you do is drop a charged battery into it, select your atomizer head (.5Ohms and 1.5Ohms), fill your tank, slap that bad boy on your device, power it up and vape away.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Don't be too worried about all of this - it is a massive amount of information to take in at first, but you'll get it. We're here to help.

Welcome to ECF by the way.

Last edited:

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
Or should I actually consider one of these fancier box type styles?
Of course you want a fancier box type style mod! A Scott's Mod RapGod with a lifetime warranty (excluding damage sustained by water and accidental drops) is a great choice. Adjust the potentiometer to where you prefer your vape and go. Couple that with Vicious Ant Kraken v2 and an Avid Vaper Wide Mouth Ultra Wide Bore Drip Tip (15mm). A simple, easy to use and absolutely compatible setup.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Thank you a so much for taking the time out to reply and try to help out. I prefer complete kits and not mixing and matching components unless I'm 100% sure they are compatible or ask around first.

When you say one dimensional what exactly do you mean? Is it because there is no temperature control and the volts that this puts out is dependent on the battery's current charge level. If my memory serves me right, the Ego One is supposed to start out at 4.2 and then drop down to 3.2 in which case it blinks 40 times and we absolutely have to charge it. Also I was told that the EGO ONE, Ijust and Venti are un regulated? So un regulated means that the we simply don't have a Variable Wattage or Voltage or that it doesn't maintain it? I would go for the latter but I'm really not sure.

The two that people are telling me to get are the Kanger Subbox Mini or the Evic Mini. But again I don't know about wattage, or anything like that. There appears to be a guide on Kanger's and Joyetech's websites that gives you the wattage or temperature range for different coil types? I'm really confused and would really like to decide on something by tomorrow just in case there are any Cyber Monday sales going on online.

Would one of these be better? It seems to me like I have a whole lot more to think about with different coil heads, and now wattages and temps thrown into the mix. If you can let me know if these 2 that I mentioned are indeed beginner's devices I may consider it but I'm still intimidated by all this and very confused.

Thanks again, and let me know what you think.

Okay, as a beginner I can understand a variable anything in vaping can be information overload. However, adjustable airflow, adjustable voltage and/or wattage, and the newer adjustable Temperature Regulated mods coming out now can fine tune vape in such ways ideal to the end user it makes it that more enjoyable as well as can be that much more addictive. However, a pocketable little box mod with decent power output range with a decent set of tanks from say a nice mellow low powered vape Aspire Nautilus tank to an Ego Mega Tank (you already posses this type) to a rocking dripping atomizer for fogging and flavor galore is a very powerful arsenal with a wide power output range from 12watts, to about 20 or so watts, to 40 to 60 watts, throw in Temp Regulation on there for the Ego Mega Tank and the RDA as an option, sky is the limit as a strong angle for the Evic VTC Mini. Getting the mod now, doesn't mean you have to use the features now, the mod can grow with you as your knowledge grows at the pace you are comfortable with.

I get the same questions of "But I don't know what is the best settings for me, do you know??" Answer is, a step at a time, start low power (lower temperature ceiling) test a couple vapes, not right bump it up a couple notches or watts (couple more degrees for TC), test a couple more vapes, a step at a time until the flavor, vapor output, and throat hit just reach out and grab you just right with that sink back in your chair going "AHHHHHHH...." moment, to harsh or tastes a bit burnt, drop it back down a couple notches, there are your settings for that particular flavor and atomizing attachment, not that hard, just a bit of experimenting and tweeking a couple settings.

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
Changing to a bigger MaH is prolonging the battery life. I always use mines on 7watts (The lowest they can give)
In my educational times (ages ago) teachers used to say if something is working dont mingle.
Only thing vaping does, you can not smoke a stinky after a while. It is disgusting.
I agree 1 ohm users. 1 is an interesting number you multiply or divide it is still the number you divide or multiply.
I roll 4 folds of 0.3 mm wire on a 2mm and this is it. Sometimes it becomes 0.8 ohms and this is my sub-ohm. (any resistance under 1 ohm is called sub-ohm) (Still 7 watts)
So dont be dazed about terms and developments. What makes you satisfied, it is your rule.

Reactions: Izan

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
What's up everyone, I came across this forum after researching Vapes and judging from what I've read on here, this place is very akin to the FC forums.. only for E cigs and not ! Much like that forum, this place has a wealth of information! :)

Anyhow here's my story:

I'm 41 years old and have been smoking cigarettes off and on when since I was 16 to cover up (doesn't everyone?) and I guess to fit in.. I dunno lol! I can't remember the frequency I smoked from the ages of 16 to 18 but I'd say I really developed a habit right out of high school in 92 when I began to work.

Now here's the kicker.. somewhere in 1996 or so I quit the habit for 3 years then picked it back up again in 2002 or 2003. Then, I started and stopped again for another 3 years or so. In 2006 or 2007 (sorry I didn't keep track on the dates) I started up again after going back to school and have been smoking ever since.

Each time I quit, I quit cold turkey.. no patch, no gum, nothing but just never buying a pack again. I didn't find it all too difficult really except for the first week and of course getting used to not having a cigarette when I drink and use medical ........ on occassion. To sum it up, I quit smoking 3 times already and each time was for roughly 3 years give or take.

So why am I here.. well.. It's been more difficult this time and although I probably don't need to use vaping as crutch to stop cigarettes, I wanted to see what the whole vaping trend was all about and after reading testimonials from others who have quit through vaping, I thought I would give it a shot.

I talked to a lot of people at vape shops and through my research I decided on the Joyetech Ego One Mega Vape since it has a large tank, good battery and produces flavorful and much more than adequate sized clouds of vapor for anyone trying to quit. Hell compared to the Protank I had with my Vision Spinner 2 before this thing is a beast and from my standards those are some thick clouds!

Anyhow I'm really happy with the flavor and density of my Pineapple and Butterscotch Vanilla Custer Ejuices out of the Mega Tank and although I mainly use the unit at home, I do take it with sometimes in the car and in my pocket and I've never had a leak yet. Anyhow I need to get a back up vape and was thinking of either just getting another Ego One Mega or a kit that is very similiar. By similiar I mean easy to use with one button and although I may get flak for saying this.. I'm not keen with the idea of vapes that deal with wattage, volts, temperature control and all that stuff. I don't know about any of it at all and my only experience with variable voltage anything is with my Vision 2 Spinner battery.

I'm not saying I'm not open to the idea of something like a Kangertech Subtank Mini or Evic but right now I would prefer a system without all the options. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I was thinking of this thing I came across just yesterday that is basically a larger Ego One but from a different company. And since finding out that they share the same coils it seems like this would be a no brainer. What do you guys think?

Wismec Venti Kit - Joyetech Wismec - Starter Kits

I also noticed that there are new Ego Ones with Variable Temp or Temp Control as they call it with Nickle and Titanium heads? While it sounds nice I prefer simplicity and to be honest I don't mind the battery charge dictating the temperature of my juice. Even on it's lowest charge before it blinks 40 times, the vapor and density is just fine and I have no problem with the quality of the vapor towards the end of my batteries's charge.

I look at things like the Evic and Subtank Mini and Honestly it just seems like a headache.. I'm a vape and go kind of guy and I don't really want to have to learn about wattages, volts, and think about what head I' using. In the end, while I'm curious about these devices, I actually don't plan on vaping forever as I don't plan on trading up cigarettes for vaping the rest of my life. My goal is to vape for a little while, maybe 6 months to a year and after that, I plan on quitting vaping cold turkey just as I have done with cigs 3 times before.

My reason for posting.. can anyone recommend any other vapes that are similiar to the Ego One in function? Or should I actually consider one of these fancier box type styles? As I said, right now I just need a backup vape.

Thanks guys!

Sorry wanting to quit.

You are not doing yourself any favors.

Every vaper's vaping style changes. I should know. I started with a Clearomiser then went to tanks then to RDAs then to RTAs

The first person to reply is right about the ego one being one dimensional.

You cannot adjust it to improve your vaping experience.

I recommend the following

Eleaf istick60tc
IPV D2
Evic VTC MINI
Koopor Mini. Smok that makes the Koopor Mini are running a contest for 200 Koopor Mini and 200 Tfv4 tanks. Contest runs til Dec 10 if memory serves. You may win one of them. FREE GEAR!

ANOTHER problem with the Ego One. When the battery dies and it will sooner or later. Then back to the analogs.

I say get yourself one of the mods above. They all use external 18650 batteries. S battery dies your mod doesn't die too. Dispose of the dead battery install another and keep on vaping.

Another thing all of those mods can power up to 60-75 watts. Enough power to drive almost anything unless you start participating in cloud comps.

If you like the Ego One Mega put it on any of the mods listed above. The 510 threads on the Ego One Mega can safely be used on ANY or ALL of the mods above. 510 threads are stsndard across the board.

Better to get good gear once than outgrow the starter hitbsnd have to buy another mod a month later because it isn't powerful enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd stick with what you know and are comfortable with... but also would suggest you try something like the Tesla 100w - it only has one button and if you're vaping "style" remains the same then it will last you for ages. And it's very affordable at the moment if you look in the right places - like Gearbest!

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
It comes down to what you are after. If an eGo One Mega keeps you from smoking, there is no real reason to change anything unless you want to get more into the hobby side of things or you find that it no longer satisfies you. If you are happy with your current setup, then stick with it, buy a 2nd one as a backup. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I'd stick with what you know and are comfortable with... but also would suggest you try something like the Tesla 100w - it only has one button and if you're vaping "style" remains the same then it will last you for ages. And it's very affordable at the moment if you look in the right places - like Gearbest!

He didn't want to deal with voltage wattage, or TC.

I agree with you I think he is making a mistake but it is his mistake to make.

No reason to get a 100 unless he gets into cloud comps.

The IPV D2 will Fire up to 75 watts on a single 18650 and isn't as heavy or as big as the 100 watt mods that have to use two 18650s

The mods I recommended will all Fire 60-75 watts external batteries and not much bigger than his ego One.

With wattage he could set the wattage once lock the device then it would fire with 1 button just as he wants.

Then when he wants more power unlock it find the new sweet spot and lock it again.

Some people are intimidated by tech.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
He didn't want to deal with voltage wattage, or TC.

I agree with you I think he is making a mistake but it is his mistake to make.

No reason to get a 100 unless he gets into cloud comps.

The IPV D2 will Fire up to 75 watts on a single 18650 and isn't as heavy or as big as the 100 watt mods that have to use two 18650s

The mods I recommended will all Fire 60-75 watts external batteries and not much bigger than his ego One.

With wattage he could set the wattage once lock the device then it would fire with 1 button just as he wants.

Then when he wants more power unlock it find the new sweet spot and lock it again.

I used to be intimidated by tech - and you're right, some people just are. Then I started dabbling in the dark magics of tech. Look at me now, going to school to get an electronics engineering degree. Because tech changes lives.

The scariest tech I've worked with to date - are Provaris and Semovars - 1 button menu operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: haleysdadda

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
I've taken 10 months to go from an eGo 650mah with a simple carto to an IPV4s (120w with Tc) With a Mutation X MT with a dual nickel build! Vaping for me has been a very personal experience! As it should be for you! Gather all the information you can get and apply it to your needs. For me moving up to the more adjustable rebuildable gear was what worked because vaping has become a life saving hobby. Heck I'm even starting to make my own juice. The big reason I went to adjustable mods was because my preferences for the optimum vape change throughout the day and I hate to be stuck with a vape that's not working for me. For instance; this morning I got up & what I was vaping last night was working. By the time I got to work I needed to make my vape warmer. I tried Cigalikes once & that lasted about a week for me because I wasn't enjoying them. If what I'm doing isn't satisfying me I'll quit doing it. Since going back to analogs isn't an option for me I'm (at this point) continually changing up my game. I would recommend the Kanger sub box kit because the Sub tank mini is a good tank to start with because it offers quite a few options.:vapor:
WELCOME TO ECF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Stick with what you know, is my advice. If you like it, and it's working for you, no reason not to. When you get ready to plunge deeper into the arena, come and talk to us. We'll try to help you figure out what would best serve your needs. Welcome to the board.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I've taken 10 months to go from an eGo 650mah with a simple carto to an IPV4s (120w with Tc) With a Mutation X MT with a dual nickel build! Vaping for me has been a very personal experience! As it should be for you! Gather all the information you can get and apply it to your needs. For me moving up to the more adjustable rebuildable gear was what worked because vaping has become a life saving hobby. Heck I'm even starting to make my own juice. The big reason I went to adjustable mods was because my preferences for the optimum vape change throughout the day and I hate to be stuck with a vape that's not working for me. For instance; this morning I got up & what I was vaping last night was working. By the time I got to work I needed to make my vape warmer. I tried Cigalikes once & that lasted about a week for me because I wasn't enjoying them. If what I'm doing isn't satisfying me I'll quit doing it. Since going back to analogs isn't an option for me I'm (at this point) continually changing up my game. I would recommend the Kanger sub box kit because the Sub tank mini is a good tank to start with because it offers quite a few options.:vapor:
WELCOME TO ECF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.

The Subtank mini has decent airflow. OCC HEADS he can start rebuilding Rip Trippers has a stupid simple rebuild for a horizontal coil in the OCC head.

Then if he wants to go a little deeper there is rebuilding on the RBA.

I'm not trying to push him into other options. But I also don't want him to get the wrong gear and regret later.

In Survival training I tell them Don't be a cheapskate on your knife. The knifd is the most important tool in your pack. You can cut corners on your pack, sleeping system, tent, etc.

The mod is the most important piece of gear in your vape kit. If your mod isn't powerful enough the rest of the gear is useless.

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England
If I were to turn the clock back and do it all again, and our circumstances are pretty similar, I'd go online and pick up an inexpensive basic mod like the eleaf istick 100w. For $30- $40, it's as much power as I either of us likely to use anytime soon, although it does not have temp control. Add a charger and 2 batteries. You could then start with something like a Kanger sub mini or Silo Beast.

I have an issue with the mods in the 50-80 watt range, because they are borderline with many of the popular mainstream tanks, except for the above ohm mouth to lung coils, and RBA's, which might be more than you want to deal with as you prefer to "vape and
go" at this point. A little money buys a lot more capability, as opposed to starting too low.

Also, I found it took a few months to break the mouth to lung habit thing, and running tanks with 1.2 and 1.5 coils resulted in hot vapes, coughing, and burning coils as I tried to replicate a smoking experience. Things got better when I stopped overthinking it, and put a new 0.5 vertical coil in the Kanger sub mini. That's when I started to enjoy vaping, rather than just using it as a medical device to quit. I then started picking up maybe 1 new tank a month for the next few months, and was glad I had the IPV 3 Li by then, but I could have saved money by getting what I needed in a mod without the overkill, and without starting too low (istick 40). There are plenty of very capable mods that can be found for small money these days, many mentioned in replies above. Once you have a mod that can power most of what you might want to try at some point in time, it's just a matter of moving along at your own pace with the tanks.

Some tanks require more priming of the coils (e.g. Crown), and the coils may or may not last very long. Others, like the Atlantis V2, are dead reliable, though the flavor may be ok, not great. Something like a TFV4 will eat much more juice with most of the coils, which are a bit more expensive. This in return for big clouds and big flavor at higher watts.

The Kanger is about as easy as it gets for a starter tank. Though in my case, I have a few others with higher power for when a craving hits and the kanger isn't quite enough. There's plenty of middle ground, such as the Arctic and Herakles--- inexpensive, and they get the job done. Found in most vape shops and online vape sites. Coils are cheap and easy to find too.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
Ok.. guys, I want to clarify a few things.. I'm familiar with Variable Voltage from my Ego C twist and Vision Spinner 2 batteries. I'm also not intimidated by Tech! I'm actually quite the opposite actually but my post didn't reflect it. I just don't care for the hobby aspect at this moment. Although I doubt I ever will, I'll leave the door open for now. In the meantime I wanted to thank everyone who replied. I still get confused by the terminology so some of the things you guys are referring to sounds very foreign to me.

The Kanger Subbox Mini kit would be the way to go here if picking different items is not your cup of tea. Although you still need to pick a battery and a reliable charger.

As far as unregulated goes - your belief about them is correct. The battery starts off (usually) @ 4.2V and slowly works it's way down to 3.7V, all the way down to 3.0V (depending on the battery used). When it hits the dead zone - it stops. You then have to charge the device whereas with the Kanger kit, you pull the dead battery, install a charged one and back to vaping (if you have multiple batteries). Almost all batteries perform this way - however regulated devices will attempt to pull what you have set until the battery can't handle the power draw.

This is where the REGULATED items come into play. Regulated devices are becoming the norm with a lot of people over there unregulated counterparts. First off, they're generally safer - due to the components in them - second, they can perform a wide variety of functions, and last they give you the ability to tailor your vape needs as you see fit. They will also help you identify a problem with your atomizer should one arise. Usually with on-screen warnings like "NO ATTY", "CHECK ATTY", "SHORT", "WEAK BATTERY", "CHECK BATTERY", "CHARGE BATTERY", etc. Don't worry too much about the wattage (too much), voltage, or temperature stuff for now. As the Kanger Subbox kit uses standard Kanthal coil heads - so Temperature Control (TC) is out with this one - which is good for a beginner. As far as wattage is concerned - wattage is just a power setting - you set it, it adjusts your voltage automatically against the set resistance and applies it as needed. My advice here, start with your wattage turned down and adjust UP until your voltage hits 3.7V (since the device has a screen that displays your info) and then adjust UP if you need more and DOWN if you need less. Don't sweat the settings here. Variable voltage is more fine tuning. Variable Wattage (VW) devices are replacing Variable Voltage (VV) devices in mass quantities. So opt for a VW device.

TC units are a completely different beast altogether as they use Nickel (Ni200), Titanium (Ti01 / Ti02) and Stainless Steel (SS) to regulate temperatures that help prevent burnt hits. These usually have a pretty high learning curve (depending on where you're coming from) and also are more user intensive with the "Enter menu here, select material there, adjust temperature here, adjust wattage there..." before you can even THINK about vaping. Once you've played with it long enough though, you get used to navigating through the menus and it becomes second nature.

Now as to why I suggest the Kanger kit: First it's going to offer an AMPLE amount of power for you - again don't worry about the settings, start low, adjust up to what YOU think is good - second, it can fire a wide array of atomizers / resistances, and last - it's an all inclusive kit at a reasonable price (with the exception of the batteries and charger). The tank that comes with it is an absolute joy to work with and the device itself isn't bad at all. All you do is drop a charged battery into it, select your atomizer head (.5Ohms and 1.5Ohms), fill your tank, slap that bad boy on your device, power it up and vape away.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Don't be too worried about all of this - it is a massive amount of information to take in at first, but you'll get it. We're here to help.

Welcome to ECF by the way.

Wow that really helped. I think I learned more from your single post than I did reading the entire thread when it comes to the concrete general answers I was looking for. Thanks for confirming my suspicions on the difference between a regulated and non regulated mod.

I just want to be sure of something. The standard Coil heads are called Kanthal? While the only ones that offer TC are Nickle, stainless steal and two different types of Titanium? Am I right on this? I'll be honest, I just looked at the new Ego One VT and CT and I'm really confused by all of this. I just want to know if the Kanthal is the general standard and if that's also what my ego one uses? Is it what ego style batteries were designed to power?

So when it comes to Variable Voltage VV and Variable Wattage.. the Variable voltage is really the fine tuning? I used variable voltage with my old ego batteries like the twist and vision 2 spinner.

I think I'm going to decide on this but I just want to be sure on a few things (anyone please feel free to answer):

1. After reading about the product on their official site and various vendors it looks like all I'm really going to be dealing with is wattage which is basically the same idea as VV which gives the end user the ability to tailor the taste of their vapor depending on how warm and thick we like our vapor if I'm not mistaken? The way I see it, it pretty much determines how much vapor we get in addition to what ohm the coil head is. Am I right?

2. It seems the only thing I have to think about besides finding the sweet spot for the wattage is staying within the watt ranges on the guide that comes with it and is also imprinted on the coil heads but there is some conflicting information according to Rip Trippers from You Tube. So basically all I really need to really think about besides finding the sweet spot of wattage is staying within the suggested ranges of each coil head? If that is the case.. then the decision has been made and this is what I'll get. You're right this is too easy!

3. You mentioned having to buy a charger for the Subbox Mini. Doesn't the Subbox Mini have a mini usb to charge that single 18650? I'm pretty sure you mentioned this because it's a much better idea to get the charger and an extra battery so I can always have a fresh battery on hand right? I was thinking of this and I probably will but If the Subbox Mini charges the cell and if it is indeed a pass through where I can charge and vape at the same time I might be able to get away without the charger and the 2nd cell for the time being if money is tight. You got to remember that this will be my at home vape while My Ego One Mega will become something I bring in the car. Seeing as how the Sub box Mini only charges one cell, the only way to have a fully charged one on hand is to get a charger. Just want to confirm this!

4. The kit comes with 2 coil heads a 0.5ohm and a 1.5 ohm. I really dig the 0.5 on my joytech ego one mega heads and I bought a pack of 5 with it. I found the 1.ohm coil head to be very restrictive.. much like my Vision 2 spinner was in comparison with my protank 2 on it. Should I get extras of these to be on the safe side?

5. Speaking on the topic of coil heads. The one thing I noticed when I did use my 1ohm coil head for my Ego One Mega is that while it was very restrictive, it didn't seem to go through a whole tank of juice nearly as fast. I thought I read somewhere that the general rule of thumb is that the lower the ohm.. the more flavor you get and more juice you use up while the higher ohms can actually conserve and use less juice. LOL I understand everyone loves sub ohm these days but depending on how much I vape I may consider going to the 1.5 coil if money becomes tight. Seeing as how the 1.5 coil is even a high ohm than 1 isn't that going to be an even tighter draw due to the higher ohm?

6. The kit also comes with an 2 RBA coils, 2 RBA desk screws, 2 cover screws, 1 mini screwdriver and some Japanese cotton. It also comes with an RBA Mini Plus base. What is this called again, the deck or atty? I watched the review from Rip Trippers and it looks pretty easy. He did say though that he got a lot of spitback though. If the manual gets a little into detail on how to use those coils with the cotton and screwdriver I'm definitely will not let that stuff go to waste but in retrospect.. I can just ignore all that if I want to and buy more of the pre made coil heads if I choose to I'm sure right?

7. Is there a specific type of 18650 cell I need to buy? Do they vary in Mahs at all or are there other factors I need to look into? Basically I'm asking all you experienced vets on here. What specific batter type would you recommend? What brand? I'm probably going to go ahead and get two but I might wait on the charger depending on what I can afford.

8. And finally. It's 8:30Pm pacific time here in Cali and I was wondering if anyone here happens to know any last minute cyber monday sales? Otherwise I plan on getting this from sweetvapes for $50

Pretty sure I'm going to go for this if I like your answers to the above questions. Thanks again bro, you really cleared a lot up actually with me!

I'm not one of them despite how I came off. But I will say this. I like simplicity that's for sure. Part of the reason why I prefer Chromebooks and MACS to Window's PC's.. but that's another story for a different forum! ;)

@Just Want To Quit,

I may have missed it, but what coils do you like best with the eGo One Mega? the 0.5 ohm or 1.0 ohm?

No you didn't miss it. The 0.5 Ohms by far! I used the 1 ohm up in the first day for some reason. The only downside is that I've noticed I can go through a tank twice as fast when using the 0.5 than my 1ohm.

I agree.

The Subtank mini has decent airflow. OCC HEADS he can start rebuilding Rip Trippers has a stupid simple rebuild for a horizontal coil in the OCC head.

Then if he wants to go a little deeper there is rebuilding on the RBA.

I'm not trying to push him into other options. But I also don't want him to get the wrong gear and regret later.

In Survival training I tell them Don't be a cheapskate on your knife. The knifd is the most important tool in your pack. You can cut corners on your pack, sleeping system, tent, etc.

The mod is the most important piece of gear in your vape kit. If your mod isn't powerful enough the rest of the gear is useless.

I think you are speaking about his actual review video right? If so I saw that last night and yes that looks ridiculously easy to do but do I have the right tools? It only comes with the screwdriver, 2 coils, cotton and some extra O rings. Just want to make sure I'm getting everything in the kit I need. to at least wick the 2 extra coils it comes with.

No you aren't pushing me at all and if anything I appreciate the extra push as long as it's done with respect! I know I came off as a bit too noobish in my post after re-reading it while I should have been flexible to ideas which I really am.

You also said something here that I can totally relate to and wholeheartedly agree with: the philosophy of buying the best at first rather than to regret your purchase and upgrade later thus costing us more. I totally agree and actually share the same philosophy as well... again despite asking for a one dimensional one button non VW/VV device. LOL :DMy apologies.. but yes I'm pretty flexible. I just don't think now is the right time for TC stuff for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread