Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah, we all know mines a dud but I'd say your 4v is bad too bombastinator.

Tests as safe. No swell. Holds charge for 24+ hrs. I generally keep using em as long as they do that while holding near 4v.
I haven't had a battery blow since I quit using mechs and that was mostly about the fact that the old smok pipe mod had no safety system what so ever and I put it in my pocket like an idiot.

I guess it depends what you consider to be an acceptable safety margin.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Tests as safe. No swell. Holds charge for 24+ hrs. I generally keep using em as long as they do that while holding near 4v.
I haven't had a battery blow since I quit using mechs and that was mostly about the fact that the old smok pipe mod had no safety system what so ever and I put it in my pocket like an idiot.

I guess it depends what you consider to be an acceptable safety margin.

Some batteries will drop from 4.2 others won't. Never seen a battery that stays at 4.2, most of mine drop to 4.15-4.18 after 48 hours+. Voltage sag is what you go by to determine if a cell is bad.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This was the post, which actually linked to another thread, which in my ignorance/sleepyness didn't notice linked to another thread. Hope I'm not going color blind. I'm about to READ that thread to find out. I think retired 1 thinks I'm an imbecile by now... I'm not sure I blame him :)

Which Battery Should I Buy?

Anna
IMR chemistry is high drain low power and is only helpful if you are using a mechanical mod because they melt rather than explode. Anything you can vary the voltage on is protected from over fire (accidentally leaving the button pressed in) so which particular chemistry you use doesn't matter that much. It mostly becomes a question of which manufacturer is most reputable. Back in the day before VV mods were powerful and cheap and basically everyone used mechanicals. IMR chemistry batteries were very sought after. Apparently some enterprising manufacturer named his company IMR to confuse the issue and sell more batteries. I personally am unsurprised that they turned out to be crap.
As to which brand and chemistry of battery to buy there is a whole thread section on it separate from "general vaping discussion" where we are now. Looking there might prove fruitful.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Illumn is probably the must trusted and legit battery supplier on the North American Continent.
They have a true brick and mortar store in California, and have been an industry leader in quality cells, for longer than vaping has existed. They have supplied high end flashlight enthusiasts for years.

Agreed. I order from them as well as Orbtronics, IMRBatteries, and RTDVapor depending on what's on sale. I hardly ever pay more than $6 and change for a Samsung, Sony, or LG 18650.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Agreed. I order from them as well as Orbtronics, IMRBatteries, and RTDVapor depending on what's on sale. I hardly ever pay more than $6 and change for a Samsung, Sony, or LG 18650.

this thread is quite critical of IMRbatteries it seems. Seeing as their very name is an effective attempt to mislead and defraud i am inclined to believe it. I will check out the other sites you mention

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No one's that critical of IMR batteries, really. That was an error on my part not being clear about the fact that I was recommending them as a vendor, versus battery maker. I like IMR batteries as I can order them through Amazon, taking advantage of my postage situation and they get here fast. I mean, use whatever vendor you want, but IMR batteries is fairly well known for relability. All my batteries came from them and they aren't fakes, and arrive for a decent price.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread