how bad of an idea is it to sub-ohm on the old contacts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I just got my shiny new to me Reo grand. It still has the old contacts in it. I know about the new berrillium gold or whatever the heck they are upgraded contacts that are supposed to help with sub-ohming, but i I cant get them for a couple weeks is it a huge deal? I have been building and building and cannot for the life of me get a good performing setup that is over 1 ohm... I guess I was spoiled by my 100W sigelei.... I find that I can get great performing builds, but they are all around .4-.6ohms.

I do plan on upgrading, but finances kinda arent in my favor right now. if my wife sees me ordering something right now she will probably shoot me.

So if I use the nolox or whatever its called, can I safely run .5ohm coils for a couple weeks? the batteries are Sony VCT-4 so I know Im good and safe there...

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
.5 is the absolute low you can go before the spring will give out on the old setup. If you go lower then you'll have to get the new setup!
If you want and have backups, send it up to Maine to get the new contacts and 510 connecter once you have the scratch for it. It sounds like your wife knows my wife!
At .5 your gonna want to hit it with nolox no less then once a week.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I realize your vape is very important to you. The REO will handle a .5 well with the new contacts. They are beryllium gold plated for better conductivity. The new contacts are not the only thing that is in the new kit. The new button is heat resistant also.

Many running sub ohm with the old contacts found the button would begin to melt from the arcing and heat. The old contacts needed frequent filing to remove the debris that would build up. Many found the spring would start to sag also.

Noalox should be used frequently if you are running under 1 ohm with the old contacts.

Expect to purchase a rebuild kit if you run .5 for a couple of weeks.

Of course you could just send the REO to reosmods now and get the upgraded 510 and new contacts installed.

That REO will last many years. Why push the limits now instead of getting it set up to run your preferred coils and ohms.

Last edited:

AU717

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Spring, TX
Id hit it with noA lox every battery change, thats what I found that I needed:vapor:

Do you also clean the contacts with alcohol on every battery change?
I've been curious about Deoxit Gold - does it clean and condition at the same time? It seems the Noalox would build up and collect debris..........

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
I dont clean the contacts every time, they are covered in noAlox,the top of battery anyway, which does build up and get messy, not really collect debris, I think some of it has to do with what battery you use, some battery tops just work better and I think what I use (orbtronic sx 30) are one that dont do well, arching, I heard some people not use noAlox and not have sparks or connection issues, If my battery top isnt coated in noAlox I get miss-fires , even still I sometimes have to spin the battery with my thumb

Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I dont clean the contacts every time, they are covered in noAlox,the top of battery anyway, which does build up and get messy, not really collect debris, I think some of it has to do with what battery you use, some battery tops just work better and I think what I use (orbtronic sx 30) are one that dont do well, arching, I heard some people not use noAlox and not have sparks or connection issues, If my battery top isnt coated in noAlox I get miss-fires , even still I sometimes have to spin the battery with my thumb

Spinning battery so it will fire is a sign of pitting in your batteries possitive contact.

When you do get the new gold contacts be smart and also buy new non pitted batteries.

Reactions: nerak

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Just a slightly different report -
I mostly vape around 0.5--0.6. All 3 Reos have the new contacts.
I dab a TINY coating of Deoxit gold on the battery ends and Reo contacts...every once in a while.
I'd guess maybe once a month or so...
I have NO arcing, no visible damage to the contacts, no pitting, no mess, and no misfires.

I save Noalox to clean threads on the tube mod I still use for vooping.
:eek:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I used to vape in the .5 range on the old contacts - never had a spring sag or a button melt, but then I was hitting for only about 2 seconds and not really chain vaping.

I'd suggest button top batteries and liberal use of noalox (maybe save the deoxit gold for the new gold contacts) to reduce arcing. Look to be cleaning every two weeks or so (YMMV), new noalox every couple of days (used to do it every time I rewicked).

But, I'd recommend getting the new contacts. They laugh at .5 ohm builds with far less maintenance, plus deoxit is less hassle to work with.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
welp, guess this reo will be getting upgraded soon... if the 510 in it works just fine, do I really need the new one?

The new 510 is adjustable, so you can seat your atty where you like, and it's gasketless, so less prone to leaking and potential shorts.

If you current 510 works, Rob recommends not fixing something that ain't broke. That said, you're in there for the contacts already - modest cost increase to upgrade the 510.

Reactions: JC Okie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread