How do I mix ethyl maltol crystals with NO alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
The specs give a solubility of 5.7 wgt% @ 20•C in PG and 0.2 wgt% @ 20•C in VG. That makes me leery of the apparant standard issue 10% PG solutions. A saturated or supersaturated solution may not be stable over time/temp and I always strive for reliably reproducible mixes.

I use crystal EM a small set of digital scales which can be had on eBay for little cost. There are so many assumptions in this process of really questionable accuracy, eg 20 drops = 1 mL. I don't really shoot for some percentage a calculator gives, but instead opt for consistency rather than some calculated % which is of questionable validity. Instead I record drops or volume in a syringe as appropriate.

To make a stable clear solution of EM I use 500 mg EM in 10 mL of 50-50 PG/VG base from a syringe.

That is something on the order of a "5%" solution. More important to me than making an accurate true 5% solution is the fact that it is easy, I can reliably repeat the weight and volume, and I get a clear, stable solution that is not sensitive to variation in temp.

If I want to follow a published recipe, I just assume double the EM in the recipe. I think a ~5% solution is more stable. My nic and base is 50-50 PG/VG. My only objection to graduated cylinders is you can control the final volume, but you have the aspect of you cannot fully drain a grad cylinder and the contents may not be homogeneous.

My philosophy is I am not too concerned that my final volumes, nic % and PG/VG ratios are allowed to float over a fairly small range for different mixes. This is a purely empirical, purely subjective endeavor.

I think it is more consistent to be careful with syringe volumes, free falling drops, careful record, and know that everything is in the vial and capped. Numbers from calculators that have inherent assumptions don't mean much to me.

I'm looking for a taste I like, made by a technique I can faithfully repeat. Exact nic or PG/VG ratios or some percentage expressed to three decimal places but with a serious assumption built in are not parameters I find useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread