Ethyl Maltol crystals question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
I got my EM crystals today. I put 1/4 tsp into 9ml's VG, placed the mix into a shot glass and nuked it until the crystals dissolved. I then immediately placed the shot glass in the freezer until it cooled a bit. None of the crystals recrystallized. I don't know if the freezer thing did it, but that's how we keep the sugar from recrystallizing in sweet tea.

All in all, the flavor is a bit week. I may see if I can get some more to dissolve in there tomorrow to kick up the strength a bit.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I was going to post the same topic
I just got Chrystals today too
Now how the hell do I divide my table spoon into 8 sections??

use a measuring spoon like the one in the bottom left of this pic ... cost a buck at the dollar store ... 1/4 tsp dissolved in 10ml of PG

gear.jpg

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
use a measuring spoon like the one in the bottom left of this pic ... cost a buck at the dollar store ... 1/4 tsp dissolved in 10ml of PG

View attachment 270674

What he said ^^^^.
My measuring spoon set has a 1/4 teaspoon on it. I just filled it and dumped into the shotglass for nuking. I was surprised how well it dissolved into VG.

**EDIT**
Scratch that... it recrystallized. It's not a problem once it's been added to juice though. Looks like I'll have to warm it up a bit before I use it again.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Rather than heating until it dissolves I use a heat gently and stir method. I usually mix 30ml, so that's 3/4 teaspoon, at a time and use a small pyrex 50ml beaker to mix in. I heat for five seconds or so at a time then give it a good stir and repeat until it all dissolves. It usually takes four or five cycles, but I've never had any crystals reform in the mix.

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
Rather than heating until it dissolves I use a heat gently and stir method. I usually mix 30ml, so that's 3/4 teaspoon, at a time and use a small pyrex 50ml beaker to mix in. I heat for five seconds or so at a time then give it a good stir and repeat until it all dissolves. It usually takes four or five cycles, but I've never had any crystals reform in the mix.

Are you using PG or VG?

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
I'm mixing with PG, it won't dissolve well in VG from what I've read elsewhere here on ECF.

It worked for me when heated. When it cooled, though, it solidified, but not on the bottom like sugar in tea. It solidified evenly, making an extremely thick VG. It is a bit foggy with the consistency of wood glue now, but clears and loosens up nicely when heated just a bit.

I'll make the next batch with about 10% distilled water and see if that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread