Status
Not open for further replies.

ancientgeek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
San Antonio, TX
my 2 month old v3's threads are almost gone... my UDCT still works, but nothing else that is not ego threaded will work. Thinking about trying to build my own ego to 510 adapter.. the ego-w head looks promising... if not, I'll be ordering a v5, and building a vamo box mod! then replacing the connector will be a breeze!

You might want to look at a ProTank Mini base. The threads for the coil are 510 threads. You would have to cut down the base to get the 510 end to make contact.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
Now this is just weird. I'd used my Vamo for a couple months and just today it wouldn't vape so I clicked the button 5 times and it wouldn't come on (or turn off). Then it started flashing a white light in the display about 3 times, every 5 seconds or so two or 3 times. I tried another battery, that didn't work. I shortened it and tried a 350 and that didn't work either. So I sat here for a while ignoring it. When I picked it up I shook it sort of hard for about 2 seconds...now it's vaping again. What do you suppose went wrong?

I'm not complaining, sure was an easy fix. But I don't like the idea of it acting like that again.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
I just made a discovery. I took the atty off and shook the Vamo like you shake a thermometer. I was thinking maybe the top pin was sunken down too far? And it worked, for a few minutes. So I did it again and it worked again, for another few minutes.

So does anybody know what's going on with this thing?

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
So looking through all these responses, we're lucky to have a VAMO go longer than a year.

So why do people always compare them to Provari's? I'm a Provari owner and I don't get why people stack these up next to each other as rivals, because they aren't.

Now that I've lit some fire underneath everyones butts, I'll say that the VAMO is a nice device, I was considering one before I bit the bullet for the Provari. But I researched and came up with the recurring threading issue so I quickly steered clear. Just my humble opinion, and I can see the merit of 6 vamos being the same cost as a single Provari. But I'll say the I've never seen a need to buy a backup to my Provari

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
So looking through all these responses, we're lucky to have a VAMO go longer than a year.

Most people that post here is because their Vamo is dead, not because it's still running, it's the wrong thread to get the numbers on how long a Vamo last.

FWIW my Vamo V2 is now 4.3 months old :)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Well, I won't compare my Vamo, multiple Vamos, to a Provari. I will say I'm at nine months of daily, heavy use with two of them. Both had 510/Ego adapters on top so thread problems have not happened with them at all. My older one is actually an original or V1, I guess, and it works as well now as it did in February. The V2 is the same way and has been since March. Both do show some wear in the finish around the fire button, but that's it. They work really well, as well as my 134 and VTR.

I think that comparing a Provari to a Vamo is like comparing a Ferrari to a Camaro. They both do the same things basically, provide variable voltage and wattage or get you from A to B pretty quickly. It's just a question of fit, finish and being a little more custom, LOL.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Most people that post here is because their Vamo is dead, not because it's still running, it's the wrong thread to get the numbers on how long a Vamo last.

FWIW my Vamo V2 is now 4.3 months old :)
Since this thread is in the Vamo forum, and the title is "How long has your Vamo lasted?" and not "How quickly did your Vamo die?", I'm surprised to see as many "My vamo died..." posts as there are.
So why do people always compare them to Provari's? I'm a Provari owner and I don't get why people stack these up next to each other as rivals, because they aren't.
Same reason every android phone brand is compared to the iPhone. (I hate the analogy, but it fits). I didn't come here to bash on the Vamo, so I'll leave it at that. The Vamo is a very good mod for it's price point.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
"How long has your Vamo lasted?" is a good title that asks info from both those who can say "two years and going strong" and those who say, "Mine died after a week of use".

I love my Vamo's. I got two of the stainless steels at VaporBreak for less than $60 and as far as I know they're not 'clones'. They have a CE branding with Logo at the top but I don't know what that means. Mine work very powerfully and I like them, but had an issue last night with one, which I've since discovered is probably a pin at the top problem with an easy fix on YouTube. I was glad to hear this is a sort of common problem that can be fixed by the user.

I also have Provari Mini's and they are undoubtedly ultra-superior. I have other Mods too but all work well and just are what they are. I really love the tube mods, but got a little Opus for its size. Wish I could use rechargeables in it though.

So all these mods have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think this thread was probably meant to sort of find out how reliable the Vamo's are in general. I'm not sure that can be answered with any real validity, because no one seems to know who made the original (if you know, please tell me) and everybody in China is making the clones these days. All I know is that Vamo's get great reviews for good reason, they're just a power house that's fun to vape. I use the iTaste 30 on mine, and I get a strong snap, crackle, pop with every single vape.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...no one seems to know who made the original (if you know, please tell me) and everybody in China is making the clones these days...

This IS the original manufacturer(Seller)
Vamo VV Mod, eGo Variable volt/watt APV - RainbowHeaven (China Manufacturer) - Other Electrical & Electronic - Electronics & Electricity

How can I be sure? I got mine in a First run coop before any US dealers had Stock.
Contrary to all the Cons on Vamo V2 going on - V1 was the clown face colored buttons and eventual Release of the Chrome with Chrome buttons. The Spring and Washer were Updated on the second release of V1 and many replacement Springs were shipped to update existing models.
V2 was the Release of the Stainless Steel Version. and (useless Black Chrome)

All others are The same piece from Different Companies or very nasty knockoffs. Some don't even have the same 2 (up/down)buttons on the face.
RainbowHeaven is the original manufacturer. Some people have speculated that Vision created the original design for the Vamo, but didn't produce it. Even the name "Vamo" is open to speculation. I heard the name originally came from the phrase "VApe MOre," but now most people seem to think it stands for "VAriable MOd." Who is right? Who knows?

At the time the V2 Vamo came out, some people were still calling the Vamo the "Ego VV APV," or the "Bamboo," which makes tracking down the point of origin even tougher.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Thanks PLANofMan! Now I know who made the Vamo. Can you also tell me how to change what they say is either the RMS or AVG, which on mine says something like NO 1 or NO 2? Also, do you know what the CE and Logo are that appear toward the top on the side of the Vamo opposite the screen?
Hold one of the small buttons in for about 10-12 seconds it will change to either to NO 1 or NO 2 depending on what it was set at.
No 2 is the RMs setting.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Thanks PLANofMan! Now I know who made the Vamo. Can you also tell me how to change what they say is either the RMS or AVG, which on mine says something like NO 1 or NO 2? Also, do you know what the CE and Logo are that appear toward the top on the side of the Vamo opposite the screen?
The short answer is those are certification marks to allow the Vamo to be sold in Europe.

The one on the left is RoHS, the European directive on the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) holds electrical and electronic equipment companies directly responsible for the chemical compliance of their products. This means all products have to conform to strict standards, extensive compliance documentation and ensure that electrical and electronic products sold in the EU don’t contain lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs), and polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) above the legal threshold.

It is mandatory for many products to get the CE certification to enter the European market. If a product is CE certified, it means that it satisfies all the norms of European health, safety and environmental directives laid by the relevant legislation. Foreign companies must get their manufactured products CE certified in order to sell them in the European markets without any rechecking.

The initials CE, on the right, stand for the French words “Conformite Europeenne”. There are certain conformity tests which need to be cleared by the manufacturers for their products. Once they clear the conformity assessment test, they can affix CE on their products. CE certification provides product access not only in the 27 countries of the EU but also other countries that share a close proximity with the European market.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
No, PLANofMAN is just smart! Thanks you for that great answer.

I wish I could take the credit, but I remembered reading about this stuff (I was an early Vamo adopter) back when my Vamos still worked, so I had a starting point to work from. Back then, the buttons, spring and center pin were the only issues...no one had owned one long enough for the threads to wear out. :D

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
My first one lasted about two months. It had a defective screen. It still vaped but I could not see the display to see what my settings were. I sent that one back and received a new one. This one has lasted for around 6 months so far with heavy use. Regardless of how long a mod lasts, get a backup and a backup for your backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread