• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

How the FDA Debacle Down South Will Affect Canadians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Canadians already accept it from the providers such as Bell and Rogers, HC would be no different.

Not following you, I don't see the connection between Bell, Rogers and Health Canada.
I don't know what "it" Canadians accept from Bell And Rogers.

I do know that Canada told Fox "News" they could not call their programming news in Canada. Fox took their ball and went home. :w00t:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Considering the major providers have been using business models the US got rid of over 10 years ago, I'd say the majority of Canadians are rather accepting of the monopolistic practices. Rarely do you hear of anyone complaining about local calling areas, in country roaming fees and the lack of comprehensive plans that are good regardless of where you are in country.

If Health Canada adopts the FDAs stance on e-cigarettes, I predict most will roll over and accept things.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

Housedag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Canada
Considering the major providers have been using business models the US got rid of over 10 years ago, I'd say the majority of Canadians are rather accepting of the monopolistic practices. Rarely do you hear of anyone complaining about local calling areas, in country roaming fees and the lack of comprehensive plans that are good regardless of where you are in country.

If Health Canada adopts the FDAs stance on e-cigarettes, I predict most will roll over and accept things.

I think you are bang on, unfortunately [emoji20]. In general, we are a very passive society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
for the rest of canadians that do not vape or do not know [edited] it is, which is the vast majority, there will be no uproar.
as govt puts more restrictions to vaping products the more it will go underground.

as for current smokers they dont give a damn, they really dont know whats it all about, and the govt is fine w/that just as long as the smokers buy duty paid smokes and not that contraband stuff.
its sad, yes, they will continue to fill the govt coffers at their own peril oblivious to the true facts about vaping.

the old saying about "death and taxes" still holds true even today

Last edited by a moderator:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada

I sell big international networks for a US company but work in Toronto. I can say without a doubt that our Canadian infrastructure (particularly Internet) is truly 3rd world quality.

Internet is slow? We just reboot the router. In the US, people switch providers at the first sign of poor performance. We are too laid back for sure!

Reactions: Hitmetwice

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
for the rest of canadians that do not vape or do not know [edited] it is, which is the vast majority, there will be no uproar.
as govt puts more restrictions to vaping products the more it will go underground.

as for current smokers they dont give a damn, they really dont know whats it all about, and the govt is fine w/that just as long as the smokers buy duty paid smokes and not that contraband stuff.
its sad, yes, they will continue to fill the govt coffers at their own peril oblivious to the true facts about vaping.

the old saying about "death and taxes" still holds true even today
Keep in mind that most vapers don't give a damn. My wife is a good example... she quit smoking and loves vaping but she has zero interest in making her own juice or coils and actually doesn't even want to refill her tanks, change prebuilt coils or switch batteries. If I got hit by a meteor, she would likely be back to smoking. Also oblivious to potential taxation or regulation (Canada, Ontario or even the FDA mess).

I bet there are lots of people out there like her. If eJuice and mods are hard to source or are prohibitively expensive, DuMaurier here they come!

Last edited by a moderator:

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Keep in mind that most vapers don't give a damn. My wife is a good example... she quit smoking and loves vaping but she has zero interest in making her own juice or coils and actually doesn't even want to refill her tanks, change prebuilt coils or switch batteries. If I got hit by a meteor, she would likely be back to smoking. Also oblivious to potential taxation or regulation (Canada, Ontario or even the FDA mess).

I bet there are lots of people out there like her. If eJuice and mods are hard to source or are prohibitively expensive, DuMaurier here they come!
sad but true

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I can say without a doubt that our Canadian infrastructure (particularly Internet) is truly 3rd world quality.

It's not so much the infrastructure as it is the protectionism that most have no issues with. Heaven forbid a foreign competitor comes in and shakes things up by providing top notch, cheaper service that would force the oligopolies to get their act together. A good chunk of the infrastructure is in place. The companies don't want to undo the status quo as they're raking in the $$$ hand over fist.

The public's indifference to this practice will carry over when Health Canada brings the hammer down on vaping. I'd sure love to be wrong with this one, but I don't see this ending well at all for Canadians.

Reactions: BreSha6869

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
The big boys, like Mr.Rogers or Ballats buy up the little guys to get their market share. Used to be we could grab a 24 of Lakeport for a buck a beer. Then the Blue guys bought 'em out. Guess what a box of Lakeport costs now a days?...
Same as Blue does. Don't know why they even bother making the swill anymore, they probably won't, for much longer, dunno.

In Ont. there are small cable/internet providers but they piggyback on the big guy and while the price for consumers may be slightly less, the service, seeing as they still have to deal with Mr.Rogers, just adds another layer of BS for the consumer.

With vaping there is really nothing to buy up for the big boys. The only way for them to get market share would be better products at a better price. haha. Or shut down whats already there and move all in with the overpriced crap, sorta what the intent is down south.

Only current vapers will give a hoot and like has been already said only a small percentage of them to boot. Prolly 75% don't know, don't care, or both. Until they can't afford or find what they want.

It was the wild west for vapers in the past. It's big tobacco's turn now, if they even want it?
Make an inferior product (like Lakeport) and drive the consumer back to your original product (Blue etc.)

Not with any considerations of the pain they cause society and real people and families with the harms tobacco presents.

Too bad, so sad, don't care, get your bonus and fat pension, screw the rest. Cheers.

Yeah I know, preachin' to the choir. (the only ones that'll listen...or not!)

Housedag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Canada
BC has its reg's coming into effect on sept 1st. they are fair imo. sofar HC has let the provinces do their own thing, hope it stays that way...

I disagree. I believe we are being treated as smokers, and are being forced to conform to the rules that are put in place for them.

Vaping is not smoking!!! From the little I could find on the internet regarding Bill 14, they are lumping us in with cigarettes, and in fact making the rules stricter for both vaping and smoking in public (ie further away from public doorways and windows, as an example).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
i didnt read the new bc rules/laws but as it stands now i can live w/the restrictions to vaping in public places but only if vape stand alone stores are exempt.
and that vaping products do not fall under tobacco rules/taxation and are legal to use and sell as nrt or listed as a hobbyist classification.
if not it will be war, or at the very least it will just go under ground

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Vaping is not smoking and should not be treated as such.

In ten years no one can prove any harm caused other than a sore throat or dryness.

Asking people with medical conditions to go into a smoking area to vape (this Or that...) is wrong. imo.

But I am biased, I got emphysema from a 40 year tobacco habit. Can no longer handle Any smoke.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I have no issue with treating vaping like smoking when it come to vaping in public places. that's the way ive looked at it since I quit, I don't vape in stores, malls or any public venue for that matter.
You're forgetting that the ANTZ aren't done yet. Once vaping is covered under smoking regulations, it will also be subject to future changes. And they are coming. In some cities, you can't smoke in parks or on beaches, and that includes vaping. Eventually it will be any place except in your own house. You won't be able to do it on the streets or on the sidewalk or maybe even in your own backyard. The noose is still tightening. It's important to stress that vaping is NOT smoking, NOT harmful to bystanders and lumping it in with smoking is the equivalent of lumping chewing gum with smoking. If we're passive about this and just roll over, we'll be sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread