How to get a polished finish on KFL+?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by Blind Squirrel, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel Super Member ECF Veteran

I love my KFL+, but I'd like a polished finish to match the trim on my Stingray. Is this possible with a Dremel or will I have to put it on a lathe to get an even finish?

Note: I don't have a lathe. :unsure:

2. grobbins

grobbins Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

if it was me i would just got over it wet sanding working my way through the diffferent grits. end up somewhere high with like a 2500grit wet sand that should leave a really nice smooth surface. Then go to town on it with a proper buffing wheel and compound and that should do the trick.

I guess it could be achieved to with a dremel for the buffing part. I jusy have never used one for that but I know I have seen the attachments for it.

3. queevil

queevil Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sand it. Start with 1000 grit, then 1500, 2000, 2500 then 5000. You can buy these finer grits in the automotive paint and repair section at Auto Zone. That's how I polished mine. It's shiny.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

4. lightbud404

lightbud404 Serial Vapist Verified Member ECF Veteran

pictures would be nice :)

5. queevil

Ok. I'll try but I have to find a way to do it from my phone. I don't have computer access right now.

6. Cloud Junky

Cloud Junky King of the Clouds Verified Member ECF Veteran

Rouge wheel, basically the bench grinders with polishing wheels on both sides, you can take various wet dry sandpaper from 800-2000 and finally polishing it evenly on the wheels with a rouge bar. You can turn brushed look into chrome if you do everything correct.

7. queevil

Here you go. Tobeco Kayfun light plus. It started off with a brushed steel finish.[​IMG]

8. queevil

I could make it shinier with a little more work. This only took about 30 minutes. Tape the sandpaper to a hard surface and run the Kfl back and forth turning it slightly about every 10 passes. When it even, go to a finer grit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.