Not open for further replies.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Making Drip Tips

Sometimes I get a little squirrely and attempt to make something that is easily and inexpensively attainable for the fun and challenge of it. Just for giggles, I thought I might try to make drip tips.

The first step is to remove the rubber o-ring from a drip tip. Then clean the drip tip off carefully removing any nicquid from the exterior and interior.

I liked playing with Playdoh when I was a kid, and Amazing Mold Putty is even more fun. You take equal parts of the dough and squish them together until it no longer has yellow and white zebra stripes. Do this quickly because it doesn’t take long before this stuff begins to set up. I usually knead for less than a minute. You have approx. 3 minutes after that to make your mold. That’s not much time.

First I created a longish “worm” and filled the interior of the drip tip. In future attempts, I will handle this differently (I’ll explain later). Then I added a pad of putty at the base of the drip tip, making sure it connected to the worm. I also squished putty into the O-ring track of the drip tip. After that it was just a matter of creating a “surround” for the entire drip tip. Make sure that the putty is snugged up to everything well, especially the base that goes into an atomizer or cartomizer. It seemed best for me to leave a thin shell over the top to be sure that the putty couldn’t contract away from that section.

A-MakingMold.jpg

The instructions say to let this harden for 25 to 30 minutes, but my putty was kinda old and didn't really completely harden for about 3 hours. The mold will remain quite rubbery so that you will be able to remove the drip tip. Before I removed it I scraped the thin shell off of the top.

Click link for pic (I'm only allowed so many inline pics) Trim the top

I then carefully pushed down the mold at the edges of the drip tip – working out the o-ring channel. This is where “the worm” first became a problem. I had to push down on it too in order to keep it from tearing. Anyhow, with great care I removed my drip tip from the mold. The final mold now looked like this:

C-RemoveTip.jpg

My resin of choice is EnviroTex Lite two part polyester resin. Even a dufous like me can mix two equal parts of resin and hardener. All sorts of nifty things can be added to it. There are coloring agents that can be added as well as PearlEx powders. The only problem with PearlEx powders is that they can prevent the resin from completely hardening. I did use PearlEx in this experimental drip tip – Antique Copper color.

Mix the two equal parts of resin together quite well and then add whatever colorants you choose. In a mold this small, you can’t really pour it in – you drip. Very slowly, one gooey drop at a time. This is where I ran into more trouble with “the worm”. The little devil wanted to lean to one side which would have made my drip tip structurally weak. I solved the problem (kinda) by piercing the mold at the opening with a straight pin with the point of the pin propping the worm into position. What a pain! Next time I’ll spray a cocktail straw with a mold release agent and push it into the center. *I think* Maybe a better idea will occur to me.

D-PourResin.jpg

Now I let it harden all night (about 12 hours). I tested to see if the resin was set by peeling the dribbles off of the side of the mold. They were no longer sticky at all. The drip tip seemed firm. Another good way to check for hardness is to check the mixing cup remnants to see if they are good and hard.

Now I repeated the same procedure that I used to remove the drip tip Master – carefully removing the tip from the mold. It’s normal for the drip to have some mold material cling to it. You could use a mold release, but it would be difficult with such a small mold.

E-RemoveTip.jpg

Okay – so it turned out pretty much as ugly as a mud fence. That’s to be expected. I set about locating a file, some coarse, medium, and fine emory cloth and steel wool. Then I got to work eliminating as many of the imperfections as I could until it looked fairly respectable.

It was quite difficult to get rid of the snags in the o-ring channel so I didn’t really knock myself out trying to. This would have been much easier to accomplish if I’d had a Dremel to trim, sand, and buff. Experience has taught me not to loan my tools to anyone – just not soon enough to still have a Dremel. :glare: I would highly recommend using one if you masochistically decide to try making your own drip tips.

Click link for pic: Trim & sand & buff

Okay – I’m nearly done. Now I put my new drip tip on the end of a cocktail straw and loosely taped the straw so that it would securely support the drip tip. Then I gave the drip tip a light srpray coating of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating. A couple hours later, I gave it a second coat. I let that completely dry and added the rubber o-ring to the channel.

Click link for pic: Straw mount

This is the finished drip tip:

H-Finished.jpg

Certainly not perfect, but no bad for a first try. :p

Reactions: Shadowtao

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Hey thanks everyone! I'm working on another one. *must be a glutton for punishment*

If you keep this up your going to have to join DM as a "Drip-Tip" Supplier to SI . . .

Matter of fact, if you need a tester - you can send me a couple :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Hi Hunter - That could work. On my newest mold, I used a cocktail straw in the center of the master and pushed it into the center of the mold a bit to give it a "seat". The black cocktail straws at Walmart are almost exactly the same inner diameter as a standard 510 drip tip.

I-CocktailStrawCenter.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: The materials that I am using are questionable as far as safety goes. I only use drip tips in SR cartos (no high voltage or LR) and I would never use these for direct dripping. The EnviroTex Lite may very well be fine once completely cured unless a higher heat is applied, but there is that doubt. Use at your own risk. I'm not sure about the warnings on the acrylic coating that I use either. I would think that once it's cured it would be okay, but I'm no chemist. Many of the drip tips currently on the market are acrylic - but once again: Use at your own risk. I've attached links to the product spec sheets.

http://eti-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Envirotex-Lite-Resin2.pdf

http://www.stmarytx.edu/environment...ring_proto-prod/BordenAcrylicSprayCoating.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread