How to make USB Passthrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recommend someone without an electronics background wiring a USB pass-through. If you make a mistake you could fry your motherboard or in rare occurrences even cause a lithium fire which is not pretty. It would be much safer making a transformer mod which I'm going to post soon as I have write permission to post a photo/url under mods.

HippyGirl

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Alabama
My home made 510 5v passthru:
DSC01438-1.jpg

DSC01435-1.jpg

Where can I find a battery charger like the one in the bottom photo?????

Me wants!

Thanks,

Sherry

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Voltage. Put one lead on the outside of the atomizer, then check for voltage on both sides of your switch and at the atomizer itself. Something's not right...
Okay, my working multimeter arrived. Here's what I get:

Outside of atomizer to far lead on the switch: 4.92v
Outside of atomizer to near lead on the switch: 0v, 1.38v when switch is pressed

I've tried different atomizers and different switches, and the results are pretty much the same. All my atomizers have around 2.7 ohms resistance.

Any suggestions?

mnealtx

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
Sounds like you've got a high-resistance connection in there somewhere - lets go back through it step by step.

Take the atomizer off. Put the common lead (black) on the atomizer threads (outside of atomizer connector).

Put the red lead on the supply side (USB cable side) of the switch, read voltage.

Put the red lead on the atomizer side of the switch, press the switch and read voltage.

Put the red lead on the center connector of the atomizer, press the switch and read voltage.

Then, unplug the USB cable, set the multimeter to ohms. Put the leads on both legs of the switch, read ohms.

Press the switch, read ohms.

Move leads to atomizer side of switch and center of atomizer connector, read ohms.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Sounds like you've got a high-resistance connection in there somewhere - lets go back through it step by step.
That is very much appreciated.

Take the atomizer off. Put the common lead (black) on the atomizer threads (outside of atomizer connector).

Put the red lead on the supply side (USB cable side) of the switch, read voltage.
4.92v

Put the red lead on the atomizer side of the switch, press the switch and read voltage.
4.92v

Put the red lead on the center connector of the atomizer, press the switch and read voltage.
4.92v

Then, unplug the USB cable, set the multimeter to ohms. Put the leads on both legs of the switch, read ohms.
Out of range

Press the switch, read ohms.
0.4 ohms

Move leads to atomizer side of switch and center of atomizer connector, read ohms.
0.5 ohms

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Ding ding ding...I do believe we have a winner, folks!!

I'm 99+% sure that's your culprit.

I don't have a multimeter to check mine to verify, I'll have to do it tonight and post back.
I don't know about that...every other switch I have in my box measures either 0.4 or 0.5.

mnealtx

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
opuscroakus said:
mnealtx said:
Weird - all mine measure dead short - 0 ohms.

How is that possible with the button pressed? Without the switch activated they should read zero but with it activated you should get something. All of mine measure .4 or .5 when pressed and nothing when not.

Nossir...the other way around. With the switch open, you should have an infinite reading - an open circuit. With the switch closed, it should read a short - 0 ohms.

You might want to short the leads together and see what you get - as boondongle shows just above, sometimes a 0.4 ohm reading isn't really a 0.4 ohm reading but meter error.

That's one of the advantages of a calibrated meter - I don't have to worry too much about stuff like that (although I always check beforehand anyway).

Last edited:

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
Nossir...the other way around. With the switch open, you should have an infinite reading - an open circuit. With the switch closed, it should read a short - 0 ohms.

You might want to short the leads together and see what you get - as boondongle shows just above, sometimes a 0.4 ohm reading isn't really a 0.4 ohm reading but meter error.

That's one of the advantages of a calibrated meter - I don't have to worry too much about stuff like that (although I always check beforehand anyway).

Damn, you're right again. I really should just sit back and watch sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread