Prospective first mods, shopping at Madvapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik_Bear

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Claremont/Pomona, SoCal
Well, for my first two mods I want to start with the basic(maybe add a LED in) NicoStick, and then make a sort of USB capable flashlight mod with either a straight bypass to USB or make it have a built in charger.

So for the first and simplest, the NS, I would just need everything he has in his guide. I totaled it out and it comes to about $28 with an extra battery and the cheapest charger.
Now I also want to get the AC and Car to USB chargers(in the passthrough section), so I can get the corrcect amperage for vaping a 5v passthrough on the go. I might also purchase the 510 Sit and Go USB Passthrough to either use or tear apart for my own passthrough.

Now I get the general wiring for it, I just have to make the circuit complete.

but if I wanted to add the LED in to light up after I press the button to fire the atty would it be as simple as the nicostick attachment?
Or is there something I have to add in there so the LED will work? Hopefully its just simple =\

Now for the second one, I'm not sure if my crappy version of the wiring diagram makes sense, but I'm wondering if it would work(either one)

My goal is to make it work as a normal flashlight mod when un-plugged but when its plugged in, either make it go straight to a passthrough @5v, or make it charge the battery and work off of the battery as a passthrough like a lot of ones actually do. Or if I even could, have it plugged in and charge the battery, while vaping at 5v?(one can dream) But if it can't plug in, charge, and 5v vape, could I get it to work as a 5v pt while I take the battery out to recharge it seperately?

ECF should have never let me come to the modders forum, cause now you guys will never get rid of my extremely long questions =[

thanks in advance for any help =]

Attachments

• nicostick.JPG
    nicostick.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 52
  • usb idea.JPG
    usb idea.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 57

Erik_Bear

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Claremont/Pomona, SoCal
The LED needs to be parallel with the atty, not in series. The 2nd schematic needs a USB charging circuit that is smart enough to stop trying to charge the batteries when they're full.

Well, for the first, one, parallels run like the first one I'm adding to this one, I changing it based on what I've seen around. Pretty sure its right.

And for the second, I was thinking of using the Digipower quick cell phone charger you had in one of your threads. But is the schematic anywhere near right of doing what I "want" it to? I updated with a LED cause I want it in there, but I want to know if it will do what I want? Either just the straight bypass or the on-board charger?

Attachments

• nicostick.JPG
    nicostick.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 28
  • usb idea.JPG
    usb idea.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Digs

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
I'm also trying to build one of these and the schematic I made looks just like yours. I also drew up the way I plan to wire it. Does this look right?

firstschematic.png

One thing I'm worried about is the switch. With an LR atty on this I expect there to be about 2.5 amps of current. This exceeds the maximum current rating for most of the switches out there. So I can either get a big switch with a 3A current rating or come up with a way to protect a small switch. I've read a little bit about MOSFETs and most of the stuff is WAY over my head. But from what I understand these things can be used as an electrical switch allowing me to use a lower rated push button switch. Are these MOSFETs the only way to safely use a small switch with these boxes or is there something else that can protect the switch. Also, can someone better explain how MOSFET's are applied to electric circuits for PVs? How does it work?

Erik_Bear

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Claremont/Pomona, SoCal
yup, you been poppin in to the electricity 101 a lot =P thanks for the help there by the way, been great.

Now I think I just somehow drew up a plan for a 3v and 6v vaper... I'm just havin fun drawin stuff, once I post it, I'll just get shot down prolly, but at least its learning.

Trial and error, best way to learn. :)

Vap3rLov3r

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2010
Dunnellon Florida *near Ocala*
I'm also trying to build one of these and the schematic I made looks just like yours. I also drew up the way I plan to wire it. Does this look right?

firstschematic.png

One thing I'm worried about is the switch. With an LR atty on this I expect there to be about 2.5 amps of current. This exceeds the maximum current rating for most of the switches out there. So I can either get a big switch with a 3A current rating or come up with a way to protect a small switch. I've read a little bit about MOSFETs and most of the stuff is WAY over my head. But from what I understand these things can be used as an electrical switch allowing me to use a lower rated push button switch. Are these MOSFETs the only way to safely use a small switch with these boxes or is there something else that can protect the switch. Also, can someone better explain how MOSFET's are applied to electric circuits for PVs? How does it work?

yes that is right, I just made one but didnt want to wait for batt so I just scrapped an old keyboard and made it a passthrough

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
You guys are coming along pretty well.
I would like to offer a suggestion though.

get the box mod makin down first. then branch out to passthrus and chargers and high volts and low resistance. The high current draw of either HV or LR will wipe out an overloaded switch. Just how easy it is to replace might make a difference. It's not like you are going to void a warranty or anything.

Order a few (cheap and expendable) sandcast power resistors. a couple of 2 ohm, 1 ohm, half ohm, one tenth ohm 5 watt resistors, maybe like $5 worth to experiment with instead of $7 attys. Everybody did get their meter on order, didn't they?

Get the basics down. Then maybe learn a little about the Mosfet switch savers :)
And one spare battery on charge is simpler than a charging/vaping passthru.
Go for cool later.

And a question for the poster that drew the really pretty 470 ohm resistor. As part of the learning experience why did you pick 470 ohms, pretty color?, electrical requirement?, someone else did it, not my fault? :)
And would you use the same resistor for a blue LED as you would for a red LED?

Rocket

Erik_Bear

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Claremont/Pomona, SoCal
You guys are coming along pretty well.
I would like to offer a suggestion though.

get the box mod makin down first. then branch out to passthrus and chargers and high volts and low resistance. The high current draw of either HV or LR will wipe out an overloaded switch. Just how easy it is to replace might make a difference. It's not like you are going to void a warranty or anything.

Order a few (cheap and expendable) sandcast power resistors. a couple of 2 ohm, 1 ohm, half ohm, one tenth ohm 5 watt resistors, maybe like $5 worth to experiment with instead of $7 attys. Everybody did get their meter on order, didn't they?

Get the basics down. Then maybe learn a little about the Mosfet switch savers :)
And one spare battery on charge is simpler than a charging/vaping passthru.
Go for cool later.

And a question for the poster that drew the really pretty 470 ohm resistor. As part of the learning experience why did you pick 470 ohms, pretty color?, electrical requirement?, someone else did it, not my fault? :)
And would you use the same resistor for a blue LED as you would for a red LED?

Rocket

Probably directed at me :p and I drew them to the best of my ability on paint with the random colors so I would remember :oops:

Uhm, well that is what comes with the LEDs from madvapes, but from looking around it looks like you need to drop different voltages for the different colors? as taken from here

Standard Red : 1.7
Super bright Red : 2.2
Standard Green : 2.2
High intensity Blue : 4.5
High intensity White : 4.5
?

So I would need different resistors for all of those colors? do I need to drop the total voltage of the circuit DOWN to that voltage?

Digs

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
TBH I only made it 470 Ohms because that's what MadVapes sells.. lol. I actually did some research into LEDs and learned how to calculate the resistor value.

Resistor value for an LED (in Ohms) = (Power supply voltage – LED voltage drop) / LED current rating

I think green LEDs typically have a forward voltage of 2.1, and I'll probably want to put about 20 mA through it. Using a 3.7V battery setup the resistor I would need is:

R = (3.7V-2.1V) /.02A = 80 ohm

The nearest rated resistor acording to ledcalc.com is 82 ohms. I'm surprised how much less than 470 that is. Why is everyone using 470 ohm resistors for their LEDs??

Blue LEDs require even more voltage (typically 3.4 I've read) so we'd need to use an even smaller resistor (18 ohm).

These numbers seem small.. am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread