Prospective first mods, shopping at Madvapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik_Bear

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Claremont/Pomona, SoCal
Work day is just about over.
Great job with leaning electrical crap tonight.

Learn one little something everyday of your life.

Rocket
(yup, that's what is in the little keychain flashlights)

Ahh, so you browse around at work?

And yeah, it has been great, thank you so extremely much for everything you have provided me with, and you're little test8-o Felt just like I was back in school again with my notebook busted out and answering trick questions. Never thought I'd miss learning so much.

But alrighty then, guess I know what my next step is, back to the drawing board! Errrr... MS Paint... :confused:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
TBH I only made it 470 Ohms because that's what MadVapes sells.. lol. I actually did some research into LEDs and learned how to calculate the resistor value.

Resistor value for an LED (in Ohms) = (Power supply voltage – LED voltage drop) / LED current rating

I think green LEDs typically have a forward voltage of 2.1, and I'll probably want to put about 20 mA through it. Using a 3.7V battery setup the resistor I would need is:

R = (3.7V-2.1V) /.02A = 80 ohm

The nearest rated resistor acording to ledcalc.com is 82 ohms. I'm surprised how much less than 470 that is. Why is everyone using 470 ohm resistors for their LEDs??

Blue LEDs require even more voltage (typically 3.4 I've read) so we'd need to use an even smaller resistor (18 ohm).

These numbers seem small.. am I doing something wrong?
As was mentioned most just want an indicator, not a flat out light. I had picked up a number of blue/red bi-color 3mm LEDs. I run the blue side with a 470Ω (3.7v mod) and it's just right for my needs. I would not want it any brighter. Pretty much like a Joye battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread