Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
View attachment 457609

It's a spice cabinet, made of 1x3 "furring strips". Should be really cheap and easy to make/have one made with shelves spaced however you like. I like how thin it is. Include the door or not, as suits your desires. This one's mounted on a cabinet, or it should mount nicely with minimal screws on any wall in your kitchen.

The plastic hot wheels cases are nice, but they're, ya know...plastic-icky.
That is beautiful! I would never have guessed furring strips could be made to look so nice! If I end up having one custom made this is a great pic to start a small collection of examples for showing to whomever builds mine. I could make that, but the only way that would happen is if some nice woodworker would let me use his/her woodworking space.

The hot wheels collector did a wonderful job at making his display, but I think my flavoring bottles deserve a proper kitchen cupboard now - and not so plastic- icky!

Reactions: jambi

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
I'm in the process of buying 4 of these on ebay. They'll take 96 of my 10ml flavours, which is less than I own but the most important ones can definitely sit there and hopefully I will be able to read the names without having to lift each and everyone of them out of the art box that now houses them.

24 trapezoid clear makeup display lipstick stand case cosmetic organizer holder | eBay
Those look really nice, Papillon. And they're a great buy too! Will you need to get a different art box or boxes from what you have now?

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Will you need to get a different art box or boxes from what you have now?

No, only one of those would fit inside my art box. I intend to use them inside a cabinet. I'm thinking if I can drill a couple of holes at the top of the back row without cracking the acrylic I could screw them to the back of the cabinet. Failing that I will get small metal brackets to sit them on. It should work.

Reactions: Janet

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
There is a way of doing it automatically - mine does. Not that I am any sort of IT and/or excel expert but I found a tutorial online that has a step by step way of doing it. And you don't even need to number your flavours, you can go by its name. Let me see if I can find the tutorial for you.

Here you go - I think it's this.

Excel Magic Trick 348: Formula for Unit Inventory Total SUMIF function Trick - Free Excel Tutorials & Help - TeachExcel.com

The way I have worked this is that I have entered recipes for 10ml of juices I like to make into my spread sheet. Then all I do is copy that recipe again every time I make it (multiplying by the quantity I make - also using simple ecxel formula) as stores do when you punch in whatever you buy. Works a treat. :)
Wow! It's been years since I've made serious spreadsheets, first in a college computer class and then at work during the 80's. The college class used Excel, but the one I had at work was a different program (don't remember now). I watched the tutorial and it kinda made my brain hurt.:blink: It would come back to me and not be very difficult I suppose. You would be a great mentor! Thanks for the thoughtful post!

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
No, only one of those would fit inside my art box. I intend to use them inside a cabinet. I'm thinking if I can drill a couple of holes at the top of the back row without cracking the acrylic I could screw them to the back of the cabinet. Failing that I will get small metal brackets to sit them on. It should work.
Will you be able to see the bottles alright if they are mounted at the back of the cabinet? Metal brackets are a good plan B - Just thinking you may want to take them out from time to time.

Reactions: aikanae1

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I love good labels and had a Brother label maker (bought years ago), but battery acid leaked in it so I threw it out. I think I should get a new one. Which one do you have? I'm a sucker for good office supplies. I've been using white electrical tape for labels - a fine point Sharpie works pretty good, but I would definitely like good labels from a label maker. I'm so glad you and others are responding to this thread!

I have and dearly love the Amazon.com: DYMO LabelManager Plug N Play Label Maker (1768960): Office Products It's USB so you can use your normal keyboard instead of those little buttons.
label makerlittle.jpg

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I was looking at these - sadly they are not cheap by any means and the running costs in cartridges make them even more unaffordable for me

I was actually looking at A4 sheets of self adhesive paper and a guillotine. Would probably work out better for me since it doesn't tie me down to a size, I can work from my PC and and even add artwork to the label. It would be very economical too.

Reactions: Janet

Dunder Mifflin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
California
Last edited:

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
I used to use the tackle box method but it was a nightmare for me to the point it could take me 20 to 30 minutes just to get the flavors out to do a few mixes. I just never could figure out an efficient method to keep them in order. It made me not want to mix. I have about 260 flavors as you can see from the pic below of my task of alphabetizing them to put them in the drawer.

4-XL.jpg

Then I found this box on Amazon but it was expensive for a piece of plastic but it looked like exactly what I needed so I bit the bullet and got one. It worked like a charm so I started looking for more of the same style but for some reason I could only find them in the UK. Purchased four of them from there and that worked out to like $37 per after shipping. Still expensive but perfect storage. The box holds 48 bottles, 24 in front and 24 in back.

1-XL.jpg

2-XL.jpg

Next I put everything in my tool box that sits on my lab bench. I liked that but I still had no place for my 4oz bottles.

3-XL.jpg

Next purchase was this four drawer tool chest. Works like a beast and it just fits under my lab table. I calculated the totals and each of the two drawers contains about 40lbs worth of glass/juice.

I keep about 220 30ml bottles in the top drawer and the about 40 others in the tool box drawer on my lab bench. By doing that I leave room for expansion in the main drawer.

5-XL.jpg

6-XL.jpg

7-XL.jpg

8-XL.jpg

I have seen this style of four drawer tool chest in Home Depot for right around $100 I think. This one I purchased on Amazon because I liked the stainless steel look. It literally takes seconds now to pull my flavors for a mix and very enjoyable and easy to put them back too.
And with the 4oz bottles now organized as well, I can refill my 30ml bottles in seconds. Very efficient now and doing mixes is a real pleasure as it should be.

Last edited:

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Dunder Mifflin, what a great post! I like your creative thinking and ingenuity. Thank you for sharing your creation and not only that, but for writing out the directions also! Hammerfly's DIY station is very impressive - I always appreciate the creative use of a small space.

Last edited:

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Went for a stroll through Home Depot last week. Stopped by the sheet rock stuff, but nothing jumped out at me - however I did not spend much time there (it was before I read Dunder Mifflin's post or else I would have). Looked at door frames and trim - didn't find anything that would work very well. Looked at a lot of beautiful wood, some already nicely sanded. Hoped to find medicine cabinet frames made for adjustable shelving, but they only had finished ready to install medicine cabinets - very expensive finished ones with mirrored doors (gave me an idea though that having a cabinet or two with mirrored doors in my dark kitchen with no natural light might be good to increase light for when I work in there). Looked in the custom closet organizer isle, but everything is just too large. I think it's best to just hunt for a carpenter. First, I need to focus on replacing my old printer and getting my computer fixed or replaced. Research, research, research! I am tired. Was hoping to take advantage of Memorial Day sales for the computer stuff. And now I have so many emails from e-cig supply vendors about their Memorial Day sales, which I feel obligated to at least scan through. As Rosanne Roseannadanna said - It's always something!
https://screen.yahoo.com/wf-channel.../roseanne-rosannadanna-smoking-000000279.html

I really like those condiment bottles too - I found translucent ones at Walmart for $1.00. I use them to store my bases (PG/VG/Nic)... I love good labels and had a Brother label maker (bought years ago), but battery acid leaked in it so I threw it out. I think I should get a new one. Which one do you have? I'm a sucker for good office supplies.
I got my bottles at WalMart, too. They are so convenient! I don't keep my nic in one, tho. Does it hold up ok? I only have a 125ml bottle right now,and it's in the drawer. Does freezing it change the consistency or quality?

I bought my label maker years ago. Apparently they aren't made anymore. Brother P-Touch PT-2700 But I love it!

FWIW, When I do make up my mixes, I put the date on a separate label. That way, when I refill the bottle, I don't have to make a whole new label. (I don't know how to post pics here, sorry.)
I'm still hunting for "just the right method" for storage.
:glug:
Is it best to keep the flavoring bottles in the dark? I do have a small box that I keep steeping bottles in, but I'm not sure what's best for flavorings. I know at the vape shops they keep the mixed bottles out in view, so, maybe it doesn't matter?

Too bad you're not closer. Hubby and I are carpenters. :cool:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Loving this thread. I need to go on a hunt for some ideas too. Very similar situation, more wall space than counter. I'd also like it moveable if needed. I'm frustrated by very poor internet at the moment so I can't waste too much time hunting things down - and I could easy spend days looking at stuff.

A couple of things, check the fishing dept if your looking or those plastic organizers. Much cheaper. I have a bead case that's actually sold for tackle that's soft sided, tons of pockets and on the inside it's possible to slip in 7 plano plastic cases - the exact same size they sell at Michaels. Only the tackle box ones had removeable dividers. That may work for some of the limited collections.

One idea I've seen for bead display was they took a deep frame, had hardboard cut to size (masonite) and tacked it on the back (permanet). Then they added narrow shelves to the inside; that could be done in several ways. Then they added dowels across the front a little ways up above the bottom of the shelf so the bottles didn't fall out. I was trying to think of alternates for that since I'd have a low trust level. I thought about attaching elastic to the side and streatching it across and attaching it with velco.

But they did 2 of these. Attached them together with a long hinge (piano hinge) and standard clasps on the other side. Screwed in a handle and viola - it looked like a wooden breafcase (in that case, filled with beads). They were able to stand it up on the table, in a V shape and be ready to go to work in seconds flat. Loved that!

I'm still thinking on it. Suggestions welcome. I've made cases, boxes before out of corrogated board from Michaels and just used E6000 glue that resulted in them being surprisingly strong and lasting. I just don't trust it for bottles of liquid. It might be something to do for a mock up to test out. Then hire someone.

I have also seen notebooks made for trasporting aromatic oils that hold bottles but they are usually expensive and would work for smaller collections. It seems professional nail artists would have more than just a wall display.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now. Happy organizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread