I need help finding a micro USB for the Joyetech Ego Aio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynter12

Feb 16, 2017
Hello, new here :)

Recently I broke the charger/USB to the pen. And from what I've read, you don't want to use just any charger with e-cigarettes. I have a micro USB from my external hard drive, but I'm scared to use it just in case it messes up the pen.

For some reason, I'm having a hard time finding a site with a dedicated Ego Aio micro USB. And any charger I find, you have to connect it straight to the battery. But, I don't believe you can get to the battery in this pen. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you :)

Wynter12

Feb 16, 2017
Yes, you are wrong. :)

Any old micro usb will do. I have 20+ cables and just use the first one to hand.

It's the adapter (wart?) on the end that matters.
Thank you for replying so quickly.

Ahhh ok, i see. So do I need to match the input watt of the pen then? Probably a stupid question, but just want to make sure.

Guess I'm saying should the adapter have an output that matches the input of the pen?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Gosh, @Wynter12

Where are my manners. Welcome to ECF.

The cable part of a charger is just a cable. People say "don't charge an e-cig with an iPhone charger" - well you can't charge an e-cig with a lightning cable or whatever apple call it.

The problem used to be people using powerful wall adapters with small e-cig batteries.
I don't use a computer USB (although it can be done) but I do use a 2.1a wall adapter. A quality one with all the required consumer licenses etc. Apple wall adapters pump out some unusual 'numbers' so I wouldn't use the wart. I have used various smartphone charging adapters though.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Apple wall adapters pump out some unusual 'numbers' so I wouldn't use the wart.

The issue with "Apple" chargers is there are a lot of "fakes" on the market being touted as OEM.

For example: iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony

And: More than 90% of ‘genuine’ Apple chargers & cables sold on Amazon are fake, says Apple

The basic take is if the equipment (charger) is truly OEM, it should be safe to use. However, with all the junk out there being touted as OEM, it's a crap shoot as to whether you have the real deal or not unless it came originally with the product it was designed to charge.

Reactions: djsvapour

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The problem used to be people using powerful wall adapters with small e-cig batteries.
Err...correct me if I'm wrong, but from everything I understand, amps are "pulled, not pushed." The problem then, would arise when you try to draw too many amps from a wall wart, not too few. A 1A wall wart won't "force" a full 1A through a device that only draws 500mA. On the other hand, a device that wants a full 1A will take a full 1A from whatever wall wart it's plugged into, whether the wart is rated to supply that much current or not. So if it's not rated to supply that much, but the device is taking that much anyway, things start to get hot where they're not supposed to. And that's when you get electrical fires.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello, new here :)
Recently I broke the charger/USB to the pen. And from what I've read, you don't want to use just any charger with e-cigarettes. I have a micro USB from my external hard drive, but I'm scared to use it just in case it messes up the pen.
For some reason, I'm having a hard time finding a site with a dedicated Ego Aio micro USB. And any charger I find, you have to connect it straight to the battery. But, I don't believe you can get to the battery in this pen. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you :)
Welcome and glad you joined. Best advice I can give, charge your battery only with the exact output as specified by the battery (pen) manufacturer. Not a good idea to be creative with batteries/mod/pen.
Might like to read:
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Welcome and glad you joined. Best advice I can give, charge your battery only with the exact output as specified by the battery (pen) manufacturer. Not a good idea to be creative with batteries/mod/pen.
Might like to read:
No, he's right actually. Better to have an overspeced (in amps) wall wart. Amps are pulled not pushed and a wall wart that is rated for more amps than the device that is being charged is safer to use.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Floss1962

Nov 30, 2015
Victoria
Might like to read:

I have loads of micro USB charger cords. You can have them and try them all. I have recently done a mammoth research of micro USB. The battery university is very helpful. I used a magnifying glass to look inside the female receptacle and compared it to the pictures that I had found on the web to indentify which micro USB type I had. If you download magnifying glass or zoom lens to your phone or pad, take a picture of the inside and post it to me I can look and match one of the cords that match your picture. There are many variations of the micro USB believe it or not and I consider myself as an expert now.

Floss1962

Nov 30, 2015
Victoria
I have loads of micro USB charger cords. You can have them and try them all. I have recently done a mammoth research of micro USB. The battery university is very helpful. I used a magnifying glass to look inside the female receptacle and compared it to the pictures that I had found on the web to indentify which micro USB type I had. If you download magnifying glass or zoom lens to your phone or pad, take a picture of the inside and post it to me I can look and match one of the cords that match your picture. There are many variations of the micro USB believe it or not and I consider myself as an expert now.

As an addition to my previous post it is important to make sure the out put of the USB/plug is 1 amp or less. I bought an energiser 1A wall charger micro USB kit. However I'm still micro USB obsessive and am keeping them all separate and marking them all. Probably over the top but I can't help my OCD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Floss1962

Nov 30, 2015
Victoria
Might like to read:

Just like to add that a 1A output charger micro USB is the safest. You can buy an energiser kit with a wall charger and micro USB cable that is 1A output.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
As an addition to my previous post it is important to make sure the out put of the USB/plug is 1 amp or less. I bought an energiser 1A wall charger micro USB kit. However I'm still micro USB obsessive and am keeping them all separate and marking them all. Probably over the top but I can't help my OCD!

Sorry, but the usb wall adapter should be rated at the same or higher than the mod requires. Not lower. A higher rated adapter will heat up less, whereas an adapter rated too low might overheat. The charger is actually built into the mod and will pull only what it needs, but it has no way of knowing the rating of the adapter.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread