Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I remember a time when I would scrounge for all the change I could find just to get a pack of cigs. Taking pop bottles back for the deposit, so I could buy a pack. Buying a carton of cigs was not an option even though I knew it was more cost affective.

Anyone else just picture a Robin flashback to 1977, with big hair scrounging for cigarettes? The post hippie days, either in some disco with the Bee Gee's playing while wearing a glittery dress or at a concert wearing a Fleetwood Mac t-shirt back by the concession stand collecting bottles and cans dreaming of the day when she would hopefully become Mrs. Vinny Barbarino?
:rickroll:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Anyone else just picture a Robin flashback to 1977, with big hair scrounging for cigarettes?

Big hair? Definitely. No taming curl products back then :facepalm:

back by the concession stand collecting bottles and cans?

More like scrounging empty beer bottles and pop cans from the area when Hubby (at the time) played in his softball tournaments. A lot of beer drinkers in the 20 - 30 year old crowd. ;)

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
To be fair to joyetech, they're not actually based in Shenzhen, so it's a little odd their joining a Shenzhen vape manufacturers' association. But, hey, it's the only one going so they obviously decided to eventually.

Thank you for the correction. I had thought they were based in Shenzhen.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
You seem to have missed the point. $50 a month would have meant that I would have to have gone 3 weeks out of every month without any cigarettes.

The $50 a month is only during the short time that it takes to put in a good stock. After that vaping becomes almost free. For example (to find out if I could) I went all of 2014 without spending a single cent to vape. As for lasting hardware; the mod I'm using this morning (a Mako) is 6 years old, and the atomizer (A7 mini) is about 4 years old.

I would also point out that many need to find more efficient (cost effective) ways to vape. Gone are the days that vaping 30-45 ml/day is sustainable. We've known for two years what the deeming regs would look like. So I have little sympathy for those that knew they were coming, and did nothing to prepare.
Stealth competitions will replace cloud competitions. :lol:

Well, I vape at an average of 2 ml per day at 18% nicotine strength. I was not trying to miss any point you were making. I do see that after you stock and are set with desired gear, vaping becomes near free. Still for some of us getting to that point is a bit prohibitive. It's not that we don't budget, rather we do and find ourselves coming up short from various factors, usually all falling under the heading of "oh, life happened".

I have mods and two yrs old too. I got some evod tanks two yrs old. Got an RSST which I think is about four yrs old. When I do buy gear it usually the cheap clones from Fast Tech, or it's on deeply discounted sale elsewhere. Nicotine at 100mg strength can be costly. Yes, I've looked around. Found some affordable nicotine, and some affordable pg & vg. Planning on DIY even if I only do make unflavored base juice. I am also planning to buy some quantity to store and have on hand. I'm not going to horde but rather keep a sensible pantry level stock. I think I do a fair job of being efficient, cost effective.

I've not really prepared. Mainly because I thought and still do think that beyond the regulation the consumer market does already to the industry, any government involvement is ludicrous & will not happen. Yes, I know the regs are a reality. I also know they are being challenged. I do not know for sure they will be rescinded, nor do I know that they will hold. No one genuinely does yet. I do not see them holding. Call it optimistic if you like, I'm looking at it rather realistically though & have valid reason to think my view is realistic.

I understand your point of view but do not appreciate the tone in how it is stated. You're no more superior to anyone than anyone is no more superior to you. Seems we're all in the same boat on this one. I am trying to maintain reason, not only for myself but for others. Having someone degrade me for not doing my level best to enjoy something which saves my life from tobacco use, well, it isn't pleasant. It inspires me to not be too pleasant in return. You've no idea of my life beyond the forum. I've no idea of yours either. I would think we both though could benefit being pleasant, maybe even reasonable. Thank you. :)

Reactions: ENAUD

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK
I am in disbelieve myself about the deeming, I thought surely someone in FDA or Congress would come to their senses and see how much vaping helps former smokers kick the habit.

If you can get at least one or two regulated mods and at least 1 or 2 rebuildables, some Nic base and VG, PG and flavor you can be set for quite awhile. It may or may not be what you use now, just think of it as a new adventure :)

On the DIY part, the most important part to get as much of that you can afford right now is the nicotine base. Everything else is food grade ingredients and have a variety of other uses besides making e-liquid for vaping. The nicotine base can be restricted to licensed vendors, taxed, or prohibited for sale to the general public if the FDA so desires. Everything else to make e-liquid can be gotten as you need it, so stockpiling it isn't really necessary.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I remember a time when I would scrounge for all the change I could find just to get a pack of cigs. Taking pop bottles back for the deposit, so I could buy a pack. Buying a carton of cigs was not an option even though I knew it was more cost affective.

Yeah, even getting those longer cig butts out of the ashtray. Just for something to smoke.

I remember those days and I totally get why, for some, they cannot come up with the cash to get started. Especially when they Just Don't Know if it will actually work.

Poverty is not fun. :(

I was hesitant about putting up the cash for my first ecig and I could easily afford it when I started! I had thrown my money away on other FDA approved methods. That really worked out well <insert sarcasm emoji here>

Planning ahead is not something everyone can even think about. Just getting through week to week, financially, is the norm. Hell, day to day is sometimes tough. Been there, done that.

Saying it only costs about a carton of cigs.....true but....

I still remember the hard times.

Thank you. We're not at poverty level yet. I'm meaning that coming from under the basement level of the poverty marker. I think it is like $15,000 annually for a family of two according to fed standards. Even if I did work, even if I had decent paying jobs, me and wife would still only manage around $11,000 annually. We did that once together. Both of us working, $11,000 for that year.

I dislike the idea touted out "Well, move to better work", it fails to understand you need money to move on. And then, what if you can not find shelter? Sure, I'll go live at work. Also dislike the idea that I got told from the disability administrator. "There's plenty of entry level janitorial jobs in your area." They consider my area to be six to eight states. I have looked locally, within 30 miles. If there are positions you've got 200 in line ahead of you.

I've looked into other fields as well with about the same kind of luck. Due to my nerve issues, not sure I could go back to working fast food. Can imagine me tossing a box of frozen French fries across a store for no discernible reason. "Sorry, my hands and arms just decided it was a good idea and did it on their own. By the way, can I get some ice for my black eye?" I have to go slow and easy at work, be able to let myself stay relaxed at it. Not because I want to slack. It just is what is.

This is why I'm hoping and looking forward to helping the wife by homesteading if/when we can get to that point via some help. I'll be the boss then, at least until the real BOSS checks in on me. Then, she can stand shaking her head and fussing at me for doing too much, for being a stubborn little boy. Excuse me, need to tend some stuff and I'm getting rather hot internally. Yay. "Go, go Gadget core heating nerves!" :)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Thank you. We're not at poverty level yet. I'm meaning that coming from under the basement level of the poverty marker. I think it is like $15,000 annually for a family of two according to fed standards. Even if I did work, even if I had decent paying jobs, me and wife would still only manage around $11,000 annually. We did that once together. Both of us working, $11,000 for that year.

I dislike the idea touted out "Well, move to better work", it fails to understand you need money to move on. And then, what if you can not find shelter? Sure, I'll go live at work. Also dislike the idea that I got told from the disability administrator. "There's plenty of entry level janitorial jobs in your area." They consider my area to be six to eight states. I have looked locally, within 30 miles. If there are positions you've got 200 in line ahead of you.

I've looked into other fields as well with about the same kind of luck. Due to my nerve issues, not sure I could go back to working fast food. Can imagine me tossing a box of frozen French fries across a store for no discernible reason. "Sorry, my hands and arms just decided it was a good idea and did it on their own. By the way, can I get some ice for my black eye?" I have to go slow and easy at work, be able to let myself stay relaxed at it. Not because I want to slack. It just is what is.

This is why I'm hoping and looking forward to helping the wife by homesteading if/when we can get to that point via some help. I'll be the boss then, at least until the real BOSS checks in on me. Then, she can stand shaking her head and fussing at me for doing too much, for being a stubborn little boy. Excuse me, need to tend some stuff and I'm getting rather hot internally. Yay. "Go, go Gadget core heating nerves!" :)
{{{{ hugs }}}}}

I was just trying to get people to realize why some truly aren't able to financially do some things, by sharing my situation when I was younger. :)

I hope you're able to get the solution of which you seek :nun:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
More like scrounging empty beer bottles and pop cans from the area when Hubby (at the time) played in his softball tournaments. A lot of beer drinkers in the 20 - 30 year old crowd.

Throw me back in time :glare: Scrounging behind the Coca Cola Pland through Piles of Broken Bottles to Collect enough Accidentally tossed Solid bottles, To take to the Market a Block away and Cash in.
Then standing around 7-11 waiting for someone of age that would purchases a pack of cigarettes for me........... I was 13 at the time, 1966 and (most)Stores in Va. did not sell to minors.:thumb:

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
On the DIY part, the most important part to get as much of that you can afford right now is the nicotine base. Everything else is food grade ingredients and have a variety of other uses besides making e-liquid for vaping. The nicotine base can be restricted to licensed vendors, taxed, or prohibited for sale to the general public if the FDA so desires. Everything else to make e-liquid can be gotten as you need it, so stockpiling it isn't really necessary.
This bears repeating. Just concentrate on getting as much as you can of the items that will be regulated. The rest you can add as you get the funds.

Meanwhile, I think it is time for ECF 2.0, the darknet edition. Set it up now and invite current members. New members then are added by a current member vouching for them ONLY. Then we have a place safely guarded from the FDA to discuss our black market needs, ideas, fixes and finds.

Whadda ya think, mods? Can we make it happen?

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Throw me back in time :glare: Scrounging behind the Coca Cola Pland through Piles of Broken Bottles to Collect enough Accidentally tossed Solid bottles, To take to the Market a Block away and Cash in.
Then standing around 7-11 waiting for someone of age that would purchases a pack of cigarettes for me........... I was 13 at the time, 1966 and (most)Stores in Va. did not sell to minors.:thumb:

Well, in 1985 when I was 13, they may not have been supposed to sell to minors. A few places did though to those they knew. In some ways I suppose they saw it as charity for the rough neck kids growing up in the boonies. "Hell, that boy works all day at a man's work, he :censored: sight can smoke if he wants."

Come forward 28 years, I see it was not exactly a charity by any means.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014

Kind of what I was thinking. Aiming to get 100mg nicotine ahead a little. Figured out the maths on doing the juice. Think I can manage to mix up 18%. May cut down to 6% in order to be more efficent, have the stores last longer.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
{{{{ hugs }}}}}

I was just trying to get people to realize why some truly aren't able to financially do some things, by sharing my situation when I was younger. :)

I hope you're able to get the solution of which you seek :nun:

Thank you again. :) I try to avoid seeming a victim. That is not my way. Sometimes though people frustrate a fellow and need a little reminding, people are human beings with all sorts of stuff going on.

Yes, I can own up to my fair share of faults, mistakes, bad choices. Yes, I can accept that responsibility. What I cannot accept though is responsibility for things beyond my keen or kin to be responsible over. Life happens even to the best of us. The best of us learn making do, with or without what is needed.

Always so love hearing folks, "that's not fair." I think, "compared to what, your last life in paradise?" We do what we need to do. We survive. :) And yes, I have hopes me andwife can get there. I think rationally, we will. Just a matter of timing, cards all lined up right, in short ... letting life be life. :)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Brought back some memories. I lived about a mile from the little store that would sell us kids cigarettes, and we needed to collect 17 beer bottles along the way to buy a pack. A pop bottle was a bonus, they were worth a nickle instead of a penny.

Just so you understand; I'm 74, the wife is 72. So obviously we are representative of that "senior citizen burden on society".
    The only differences is that I started "preparing" in 2010-2011, because doom & gloom was hanging over our heads as much then as it is now. And, it was as hard for me then as some are saying it is for them now. But ... we all have to start somewhere.

My first approach was that I would have to learn how to make almost everything vape related. Hell, I even tried to make an atomizer from a flashlight bulb. :lol: But, you would be surprised with what you can do with coax cable connectors.

Seems like a lot of others were like minded, and new ideas sprang up almost daily. Many even started marketing their products, and the advances in technology took off like a rocket as a result.

I couldn't afford to keep up with the latest & greatest, so instead I devoted my time to learning how to get the best reliable vape I could get from what I could afford.
    When I started stockpiling, I only stockpiled those same products that I knew worked, instead of buying one of this or one of that to add to a worthless pile of "stuff". As a result I have a dozen bricks of cartos (about a 50 year supply) & 14 A7 RDAs (that will last well past my lifetime) tucked away. Same goes for the mods I own. Nothing all that fancy, just stuff that will last. And, the vape is "good enough" to keep me from smoking.

Like many others, the big savings began when I learned to DIY, and I was no longer attached at the navel to the local vape store for juice. However, it's those that still buy juice that I target with many of my posts on here because I understand all to well why they can't afford to stockpile. I also regularly target those that don't yet understand what my signature is about, and are still buying "one of this or one of that" to add to that worthless pile of "stuff".

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    Just so you understand; I'm 74, the wife is 72. So obviously we are representative of that "senior citizen burden on society".

I couldn't afford to keep up with the latest & greatest, so instead I devoted my time to learning how to get the best reliable vape I could get from what I could afford.

Nothing all that fancy, just stuff that will last. And, the vape is "good enough" to keep me from smoking.

I also regularly target those that don't yet understand what my signature is about, and are still buying "one of this or one of that" to add to that worthless pile of "stuff".

Well, I'm not one of those what see seniors as burdens. Quite the opposite in fact. Got a poem in the form of a letter from my mom. She wrote it around the time I was six months old. Hang on second here.

Smile Little Boy

Smile little boy.

Be happy and have fun.
    Live your life to its' fullest.

In this day and age people often forget to smile and say hello. They
    often rush right through life, not taking time to see the beauty all
    around. When a raindrop taps you on the head in greeting - stop - look
    up and say "hello" right back. So what if your clothes become wet?

Look at flowers. In their own way they all smile - especially that cute
    little pansy. See their brightness - their simplicity of life.

In the sky there are many pictures. The clouds tumble around and form
    fluffly rabbits, indians, and once I even sawan angel.

Say "hello" to an old person. Watch them smile. Give them a part of your
    youth. Run errands or just listen to stories of how it used to be.

Smile little boy.

If you do these things it will put you in a small group of people. You
    may not recieve a lot of public notice, or make the headlines. But
    you'll be happy. And mommy and daddy will be proud.

Smile little boy.

I remain that little boy, or make diligent effort in doing so. To me those older are no burden. It is the duty of those younger to offer them support, it is a natural duty. Those older school those younger, sometimes those younger kind of surprise everyone and learn some of those older. It is rare but it can happen at times.

That's fairly around the area I'm in. Granted, yes, I am planning do some buying in the near future. What I am buying though will be stuff which I have seen to be durable, well functioning, good performing. It will be stuff that can last a while at least. Yes, I'm getting as cheaply as I can. Yes, it may seem cheaply made. I'm weighing the materials more so than how its made and this to me ensures more durability. Besides that, planning to take moderate and good care of the stuff. I don't like shopping, not even for clothes.

There is a scene in a recent movie called Hurt Locker, the hero's wife has told him to go to the store and get some corn cereal. He stands there in the aisle looking at a shelving display with about 18-20 different varieties of corn cereal. I kind of resonate with that as far as shopping.

Am reminded, flowers are simple. :)

Nothing all that fancy, just stuff that will last. And, the vape is "good enough" to keep me from smoking.

"Oh, really? How's that?" :) ;) Sorry. I had to do that. I understand exactly what you're expressing here. I'm not looking for fancy either. If it works and keeps me away from tobacco, great! Shoot, I want to build coils like a mad hatter having tea. I'm loving getting into doing that, learning to hit a target in how you make the coil. It truly is an art form in its own way. Granted you'll have many say "Bah, it's just winding a wire." Fine let them "wind wires" all they want.

I also regularly target those that don't yet understand what my signature is about, and are still buying "one of this or one of that" to add to that worthless pile of "stuff".

Grew up visiting grandparents a lot. It was a means to avoid the abusive step father. Pap grew up along the South Fork of the Shenandoah River and could recall the government men coming round to take his father's gold, what little he had. Pap grew up knowing the expression "waste not, want not" quite intimately. This was passed along to my Uncle "Buddy", me. I had a cousin who tried to understand the three of us but he never really seemed to fit into the cog. Now, I understand why. We were too simple for him. :)

I understand your signature well enough. It's what I try living by every day. I'm also practical though and know that you need seeds to grow trees. Then, you tend not mowing it off, keep bugs off it. Eventually you're out mowing and take a break under the old oak's shade. You remember when it was only an acorn and :).

I know too one doesn't love things, one uses things, loves people, loves the Earth & Nature, the Cosmos. While I may not believe in what some consider God, I do have some spiritualism in being atheist. I think you kind of need to if you accept life without any deity. You're stepping out into the flux and being aware. In that awareness there's a lot that can not yet be explained. Well, we're holograms they say. We're only particles. Are we though, when we desire freedom?

That's a different spotted horse though. I'll digress because it's not warranted discussion in public discussion of gathering vaping supplies. Excuse me, need to go puddle and piddle along. Need to do something even if it is wrong. *chuckles*

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Great post!
    Just have to comment on one thing.
    The mod that I use most is a 6 year old Mako. It uses those 'worthless' little bitty 14500 batteries.
    Sitting on top is a 4 year old A7 mini. AND, it's running at a whopping 2.1 amps.
    Folks say "might as well just go to 7-11 and buy a Blue", and I just respond with a little cryptic smile. Because there isn't an RDA on the planet that produces better flavor.

NOW, think for a moment about what I just said.
    I didn't find out that low power could produce a great vape, or that the Mako & A7 were durable products through osmosis!

Is the way I vape for everyone? Of course not! It just happens to work best for me.

Last edited:

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
    When this all unfolds, it may not be as bad as we think.

let me explain. If the government is OK with people killing themselves with cigarettes, as long as they get theirs along the way in the form of tax revenue (big tax revenue) why will vaping be different. The government doesn't care if you vape, they care that you vape tax free. Once they get total control and rename everything tobacco, they can figure out how to tax the be-jesus out of it and we can all happily go along vaping, just at the rate of tax high enough to balance out the tobacco shortfall.

Maybe so, maybe no, we will see.
    The problem with regulations is the fact that each product will need to be verified by FDA, which means a million dollar application for FDA approval for every product that was released after 2007. Subsequently this will amount to most if not all of the innovations disappearing and all previous products vanishing as well. A company can not operate with each product application at 1 million.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    Great post!
    Just have to comment on one thing.

The mod that I use most is a 6 year old Mako. It uses those 'worthless' little bitty 14500 batteries.
    Sitting on top is a 4 year old A7 mini. AND, it's running at a whopping 2.1 amps.
    Folks say "might as well just go to 7-11 and buy a Blue", and I just respond with a little cryptic smile. Because there isn't an RDA on the planet that produces better flavor.

NOW, think for a moment about what I just said.
    I didn't find out that low power could produce a great vape, or that the Mako & A7 were durable products through osmosis!

Is the way I vape for everyone? Of course not! It just happens to work best for me.

I see and hear what you're saying. Got a real good question for you too. I could just dig my heels in over it and not grant you a thing. Could say you're a silly old goat what knows nothing. ;) :)

No! I won't!

Where do you suppose a feller could find a Mako at an affordable cost now, or is that a stumper of a question? I've seen A7s, quite a few tither and yon & at good prices. Figure I kin find one of those well enough. It be the mod wot bring the wringing on to find. Dinae tell me Electronicstix either, looking right at 'em an they nae got 'em.

Way I see it, if'n ya keen to keep bringing up your gear like ye are, must be fer you spect it fairing well enough for any. Yea ya be saying it yer way and ya not spect it suit any one else. But ya keen to be tellin' me o' it. Kind of see ya reaching out to put it in ma hands. "Give it a try."

Found a place selling them. Not sure I will try one. Got mind & heart set upon squonking and eye on a cheap Reo clone. I'f I'm going to drip, it'll be without the dripping. I can appreciate that way and do see that it may be well and fine. I may well try the A7 or A6 though, looks to be they can be made to bottom feed RDA. That would do well for squonking, which is bottom feeding.

The Makos are fair enough in price, just not the way I'd like to drip. Not saying anything is wrong dripping, or the way suits you. I found the Reo type, or squonking suits me like your way suits you.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread