"I vape 4 substances instead of 599 in cigs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Take a pan of boiling water, you put one substance in the pan,(water) but there is more than one substance floating around in the steam coming off the water.

And then, PG is a compound made up of several substances,(C3H8O2) so is VG,(C3H8O3) and we haven't even gotten to the flavorings yet.

PG
    800px-PropyleneGlycol-stickAndBall.png

VG
    1024px-Glycerol-3D-balls.png

Last edited:

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 28, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    No doubt that getting off the cigarettes is a huge step towards respecting our bodies but total respect would be to quit ecigs and then you have no worries. Continually inhaling something other the clean air has a certain amount of risk.

Ummm, exactly WHERE does one find "clean air" to inhale? Do you have some stashed? Are you a Super Villain with hundreds of underground tanks holding the world's supply of "clean air" hostage?

'Cause otherwise, I think you need a time machine to find "clean air".

;)

Ken_A

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Florida
    Does anyone else want to chime in and say how many chemicals are in cigarettes? It seems to be more and more as I read through the threads. lol

There are over 4,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke and at least 69 of those chemicals are known to cause cancer.
    There are 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 27, 2013
    United States
    I need to eat
    I want to enjoy food
    I like stuff that isn't always good for me

I need to breathe
    I want to enjoy breathing
    I like to breathe flavored air

I need to remain hydrated
    I want to enjoy hydrating myself
    I like coffee, tea, and juice

I need to not kill people
    I want to kill people
    I like not being in jail

Flavored E-liquid with nicotine covers 50% of my needs, the world should be happy with that sort of result.

It is said that nicotine can elevate your blood pressure by restricting blood vessels, Take away my nicotine and take a look at my blood pressure, it'll go through the roof.

The total number of naturally occurring elements is 981, so if we want to get all douche baggy we could equate element content and likely make a claim that e-liquid is very nearly the same as a cigarette, but that would be a really douche bag thing to do.

The beauty of e-liquid is in the fact that you very well could make up a flavored juice with just four ingredients or three or two or one, the most simple version being just one of the two diluting liquids, for 2 both dilting liquids or one liquid plus nicotine, and so on.

Very simple e-liquids have a limited scope of molecules in their flavoring cotton candy for example, so the spectrum of how many molecules are in a flavor may be very few to very many.

It isn't particularly hard to research what molecules are bringing a particular flavor to the e-liquid http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flavor+molecules

Maurice

1http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfaqs/f/How-Many-Elements-Can-Be-Found-Naturally.htm

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    To my knowledge, there is no such thing as "clean air".
    In a city / suburban environment, there are all kinds of pollutants that can be smelled on the air.
    In the country, there is the dust from farming, the end product of animals eating, various molds, mildews, etc.
    Mountain environments have much the same issues.

Please don't say "clean enough" though. Ecigs are "safe enough" and that is what counts.
    I vape 4 to 5 ingredients and have never vaped 4 or 5 chemicals. As opposed to hundreds of ingredients and thousands of chemicals in smoking .tobacco.

I guess you missed my point
    If you use a vaporizer and inhale there is a certain amount of risk
    If you live in the city and inhale there is a certain amount of risk
    If you live in farm country and inhale there is a certain amount of risk
    if you isolate yourself inside and inhale there is a certain amount of risk

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Its a valid point. We don't really know.

But why do these "valid points" always have to be framed in a way that sounds like scolding fellow vapers? It puts the reader immediately on the defensive. Then, throw in your "holier than thou" crap , and lose the power behind the message completely. You're the one sounding holier than thou.

Sent while vaping the cajones off my diy vanilla custard containing God knows what.

Cstock

Jul 29, 2014
    Indiana
    Its a valid point. We don't really know.

But why do these "valid points" always have to be framed in a way that sounds like scolding fellow vapers? It puts the reader immediately on the defensive. Then, throw in your "holier than thou" crap , and lose the power behind the message completely. You're the one sounding holier than thou.

Sent while vaping the cajones off my diy vanilla custard containing God knows what.

He's not scolding all fellow vapers. He's scolding the ones that are spewing bull**** to the general public and giving those people the impression that all vapers are uneducated, blind, fools

InTheShade

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2013
    South Texas
    ahhh but I said when we smoked we didnt seem to care what was in ciggies, but now, people obsess over the stuff in Ejuice and question every aspect of it. I really dont remember any of the people I associated with who smoke/smoked question what was in a ciggie other than tobacco and menthol and an occasional bug.

No, I get where you are coming from and I know I have this discussion with others on this forum when talking about the merits (or otherwise) of cotton v silica wicks. Someone else made the same point as you, which is valid of course.

Just wanted to make the point that one doesn't preclude the other - particularly in my case I suppose. I smoked because I was stupid but now I don't want to be stupid any more and I care about what is in my e-liquid. The fact that I chose to poison my body with cigarettes doesn't mean I can't care what I am vaping now - that's all.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2013
    South Texas
    How Cigarettes Are Made: How Cigarettes Are Made - YouTube

Enough said.

Those chemicals they add to ciggs are for "smoothness".... "Smooooothhneeesss""

Geez will you guys ever learn???

And the added paper is to save "MON-EY"
    Screw everyones health.

I think the very fact we are talking about this in a vaping forum means that some of us, at least, have already learned.

But thanks for the link. I've seen that clip before - but I would recommend that everyone who smokes watch it at least once.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 27, 2013
    United States
    The fact that I chose to poison my body with cigarettes doesn't mean I can't care what I am vaping now - that's all.

I'm of the opinion that e-liquid vaporized is a slower poison than whatever else might kill me, that said a poison that isn't going to kill you before something else does is nothing to fret much over.

Maybe if a substantial number of folks donate their bodies to e-cigarette effects research we could get an answer or two about the long term effects, assuming we get the chance to do this long term.

Maurice

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    going tangent here... but why didnt "we" as smokers worry about all of the stuff that was in ciggies as we worry about the stuff in the juice now??

I actually did worry about it, all the time... just didn't figure there was much I could do about it, since I'd tried cold turkey 2 or 3 times, patch twice, and never could get free of cigarettes no matter how I tried. But yeah, I thought about it a lot... it's hard to shake the visual of your dad dying from lung cancer, attached to a respirator, with more tubes and wires going into him than a super-computer.

To the OP... you're probably right, there probably are more than 4 chemicals in most ejuice, because of the flavors. But I don't consider us "lying"... maybe exaggerating? Or maybe just ignorant, so you're right again, educating ourselves would be an excellent idea. But you know that most aren't going to do that -- most will not read anything, if they don't absolutely have to. Even a great many people on this forum, whom you would think are far more proactive on this subject than 99% of the population, won't read an entire thread about something if it's more than 2 pages long. Some, not even that much. It's spitting into the wind to think otherwise. Reading is too much like work, to them.

Andria

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    Austin,TX, USA
    You can't possibly explain everything to everyone who asks, all the way down to the molecular level. What on earth is an acceptable response to someone who asks what is in e liquid? Am I supposed to carry around a periodic table??? What's in a Dorito? If I did know what's in a Dorito, I sure wouldn't know what most of it is.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 27, 2013
    United States

swanysto

Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Illinois
    I don't think most vapers would honestly say that vaping is healthy, or non-harmful in any way. I don't fully understand what exactly I am inhaling, but I do know that my body feels far better, I breath better, sleep better, and overall have more energy. So I figure whatever I am putting in my body has to be less harmful. Of course, vaping is just a step towards getting completely away from all of this for me. Is, there are healthier way of doing that? I am sure there is. But until now, those have failed for me(and rather quickly). To be honest, I am far more worried about what is put in food nowadays.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread