im back,

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx.pavne

Sep 23, 2017
manila
i boought my 1st mechanical mod on 2012. then i stopped.
since last june i just started again..i just really wanna stop smoking..

i bought a VGOD full mech, RDTA..
it went good for a month..i wanted it to produce more vapors...so last week i bought a twisted wire. nichrome .55.. but my mod heats up really fast fast..and my battery heats up also and im worrying now that it could burst in my face..

can i use twisted wires on my VGOD..?
if so.. how many loops..?
what instruments do you need to check resistance of coil..?

thanks..:) KEEP ON vaping.

Reactions: BrotherBob

maxx.pavne

Sep 23, 2017
manila
i really need to ask..:) sorry. not a pro..:)

Attachments

• samsung-18650-battery-2500mah-25r.jpg
    samsung-18650-battery-2500mah-25r.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 31

maxx.pavne

Sep 23, 2017
manila
I use those batteries too in my mech mods.

Maybe the threads on the mod need a good cleaning.

what threads..? the cotton threads..? or the coil..?

i just put some new coils on it.. 1st i made a 4 loop wire..i noticed it fires up really fast..
and here i am on my new loop.. i made 7 loops.. but 4 the 1st and 2nd built my mech heats up and the battery 2.. i double check the wires.. the negative dont touch the positive..

do u think that maybe because of the wires that my mod heats up too..?
that there's no problem within my mod..?
i already spend too much on this thing..:(

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I have heard surface area plays a role in how much "power" it takes for a coil to heat up, so it is possible that more simple builds might work for you. Apologies, I know almost nothing about mech mods, but that did occur to me as a possibility. It could be completely in error. Just be careful! And welcome back, congrats on giving up cigs again....

Anna

Reactions: maxx.pavne

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
You need something--anything--that can tell you the resistance of the coils youre building.

You don't mention wire gauge, wire type, coil diameter or what atomizer you're using.

A mech mod is not something to experiment with!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Get an ohmmeter. A 521 Tab is about the best one at a reasonable price right now, but you can get an El Cheapo on eBay for 5 bucks that's better than nothing. Your VGod is a one-battery tube. Don't coil it below about .5Ω until you know exactly what you're doing, and are certain enough of that you're willing to risk blowing your face off if you're wrong. Never--never-- put a coiled topper on a mech mod without measuring the resistance first. On a mech, the only safety device lies between your ears. A battery getting hot on a mech-- on any mod-- is a very bad sign. It means you're stressing it to and maybe beyond its limits. And yes, it very well might blow up on you.

Your VGod has a faux-hybrid top cap, by which I mean there's no center pin in the 510 connector; the atty base makes direct contact with the battery. I hate the nappy things like poison and will not have one in my house, seeing as how I don't want to burn it down. It is very easy to get a dead short right there at the positive post. The atty you're using must have a well protruding 510 pin to keep the outer, negative 510 threads away from the battery. Battery rattle adjustment is critical in such mods. If the mod is adjusted too short, you can dent or push in the top contact of the battery. Do not use a battery so mistreated in a faux-hybrid mod under any circumstances. The depth of that dent reduces your safety margin by bringing the outer threads that much closer to the positive contact. If that happens, there won't be any warning, as in milliseconds. When they go, they go fast. If possible on your mod-- I don't know, I don't (wouldn't) have one-- try reversing the battery so the bottom contact is up toward the atty. Those are harder to dent in.

Welcome to the board, and please try to stick around a while by putting safety first.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, if you have no way of knowing the resistance of what you are coiling to put on your mod, that would be a bad thing. I really like my mini-tab coilmaster kit, and it's a nice stable base to build on as well. It's really worth it for the safety issues, IMO.

Mods getting hot from the batteries are just bad news generally and often a good reason to stop vaping and troubleshoot the mod anyway, if your unregulated mod that particular thing is true times a million... Please be safe and get the tools you need to use your mod safely, and if you don't want to do that, perhaps a regulated mod might be a better option. They've come a long way, to be sure.

I've been vaping a while now, and I very much doubt I will be entering the land of mech mods, not unless I am absolutely PUSHED there by some type of huge problem, IDK.... And even then, I'd probably make the husband do my builds for precision and safety. I don't mind putting a funky coil on a regulated mod, provided it glows evenly and whatnot, but past that point, I doubt I'd venture far without some serious research and care, and I *still* wouldn't be that happy about it....

Anna

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
It hasn't been explicitly stated: stop right now.

What you've described are the classic symptoms of an overstressed battery. What you've presented is a lack of the appropriate basic tools and understanding absolutely necessary for the safe operation of a mechanical device.

You are in the right place to learn everything you need to know about the safe operation of your device, so make sure you read up while you wait for an ohm reader to arrive. Honestly, I might suggest you get a regulated mod instead; if you decide you don't want to go through the trouble of understanding mechs, at least the ohm reader is also a useable vape.

There is absolutely no reason someone "has to" use a mechanical device. I understand you already invested into it, but your health is far more precious than money.

There's no sugar coating this stuff and there's no quick solution. We care about your safety,so please keep asking questions and please, stop using that device (for now), or at the very least stop using that build.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, you don't have to have a mech mod. But having hands and a face that doesn't require a LOT of reconstructive surgery are nice things to have. Maybe you could get an inexpensive tube mod while you learn the ins and outs of vaping your mech and coilbulding? It's always good to have a backup mod, and you can get a regulated, internal battery mod that would probably suit your needs for vaping while you learn more.

I guarantee that you can learn the required safety to use mech mods, fairly rapidly if you try hard. Really, anyone can, and I probably could, if I so desired. But, you aren't going to be doing any of that from the hospital.

Even I think mech mods (some of them) are incredibly cool, and I completely understand your desire to use one, but vaping isn't going to be of much use, period, if you do wind up in the hospital. Please don't think people are picking on you, they are worried about your *safety*.

Anna

Reactions: maxx.pavne

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
thanks.. ill check on it..:)

Dirty threads are the least of your concerns, my friend, but do get in there. You want your threads to be nice and clean and there should be absolutely no debris anywhere.

You need to inspect your battery and it's wrap to ensure it is not damaged at all. Any tiny nick in the wrapper is a potential short

You need to ensure the positive pin (the part that contacts the battery) on your atomizer is protruding from the negative contact (the part around the pin that screws into your mod).

You need to scrap that build and get an SOMETHING to check for shorts and read resistance as your first order of business.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
OP started with mech mods in 2012, before most here joined ECF, had the VGOD running for a month without issue, and now has a heat issue.

Ever had a weak spring in a mech? Button gets hot. Ever had a dirty mech? It gets hot too.

One reply suggests flipping the battery. Ever had a hard short? That's a great way to create one.

Coil is 0.55 according to OP.

Help out first maybe instead of climbing up to the soapbox where "mech mods are bombs" on the back of this thread.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
OP started with mech mods in 2012, before most here joined ECF, had the VGOD running for a month without issue, and now has a heat issue.

Ever had a weak spring in a mech? Button gets hot. Ever had a dirty mech? It gets hot too.

One reply suggests flipping the battery. Ever had a hard short? That's a great way to create one.

Coil is 0.55 according to OP.

Help out first maybe instead of climbing up to the soapbox where "mech mods are bombs" on the back of this thread.

No one is soapboxing, there was enough to glean from their posts that this should be tackled from a safety first standpoint. He bought a mech 5 years ago and stopped. Starts again with a mech and is getting a hot battery, no way to measure their builds...

Anyway, not sure what part of any of the subsequent posts showed a lack of willingness to help, but to each their own.

Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
i boought my 1st mechanical mod on 2012. then i stopped.
since last june i just started again..i just really wanna stop smoking..
i bought a VGOD full mech, RDTA..
it went good for a month..i wanted it to produce more vapors...so last week i bought a twisted wire. nichrome .55.. but my mod heats up really fast fast..and my battery heats up also and im worrying now that it could burst in my face..
can i use twisted wires on my VGOD..?
if so.. how many loops..?
what instruments do you need to check resistance of coil..?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Sounds like you need a little direction.
Might like to read:
(8) A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod | E-Cigarette Forum
(15) Inexpensive Mechanical Mod/RDA Setup | E-Cigarette Forum
http://best-e-cigarette-guide.com/e...cigarettes/sub-ohm-vaping-perks-and-problems/
What is Sub Ohm Vaping? Our Sub Ohm Vaping Guide & Tips
All About Sub-Ohm Vaping
Battery safety
Care and Use of 510, eGo and Variable Voltage Batteries
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
ECF Sub-Ohm Advisory

maxx.pavne

Sep 23, 2017
manila
Well, I have heard surface area plays a role in how much "power" it takes for a coil to heat up, so it is possible that more simple builds might work for you. Apologies, I know almost nothing about mech mods, but that did occur to me as a possibility. It could be completely in error. Just be careful! And welcome back, congrats on giving up cigs again....

Anna

i already made a math on that.. surface vs resistance..
made my buddy believe that i need an ohmeter.LOL..:)

Anna[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread