Indiana Call to Action: Multiple Indiana bills would threaten access to and use of e-cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Why do they always have to go way over board on regulations
Because then when they take out the really bad parts and leave in the somewhat bad parts, we are eternally grateful that they took out the really bad parts, which then leaves the door open to MORE really bad parts.

See where I'm going with this?? :grr:

Think about what they did with us as smokers.....

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I really do hope it goes to court over this, it could be a good thing if it did, they can keep the taxes, and the safety things on the bottles, and the underage stuff, just delete everything else. Why do they always have to go way over board on regulations, I am kind of freaked out about this, I DIY and have been for about a year, not really very good at it but good enough for me. I have about 10 liters of 100MG/ML nic in the freezer, and because of that I am a criminal now? I have always been a law abiding citizen, and I am mixing this for myself, I have shared a small amount with a coworker, just to see what he thought of it. Now doing that I am breaking the law again! I just can't believe this.

KAS

Me too. I'm a 42 year old married mother of three who drives a school bus for gosh sakes, I'm not a criminal. I DIY too and like you I'm not that great but a few recipes are definitely doable and I've never shared because the only vaper I know I don't see often enough to even have a conversation about it with her. I'll be adding more nic to my four liter 100mg/ml stash asap. I really do feel that all of this is wrong enough that the courts will change things I just hope it doesn't take to long, and you do know that lawsuits are already in the works right? So it shouldn't be to long before that ball is rolling.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Me too. I'm a 42 year old married mother of three who drives a school bus for gosh sakes, I'm not a criminal. I DIY too and like you I'm not that great but a few recipes are definitely doable and I've never shared because the only vaper I know I don't see often enough to even have a conversation about it with her. I'll be adding more nic to my four liter 100mg/ml stash asap. I really do feel that all of this is wrong enough that the courts will change things I just hope it doesn't take to long, and you do know that lawsuits are already in the works right? So it shouldn't be to long before that ball is rolling.

No I did not know that there were lawsuits in the works, that is good to hear, there could be a little hope for us after all.

KAS

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Yes, legal action is in the works. Can't file until the law is enforceable since there needs to be a standing as an injured party. Cannot suffer injustice from a law that is not enforceable, so it's all planning at this point.

DIY components are not covered, just the finished product. So nicotine is still fine. Once it is mixed to a vapable juice, it is a class A infraction to make it without a permit, labels, etc. Receiving it is a class C.

The Indiana ATC cannot do anything to people out of state except send nasty-grams. The entity that receives the juice from a non-permitted juice producer is committing the class C infraction. If that same entity were to sell it, they would be committing a class A infraction.

It's really tough to have an infraction lead to jail time. It's a fine. Removal of state permits and licenses is possible, but the fines are big. We are talking $1000 per violation minimum with no cap.

Enforcement is funded solely by permit fees, punitive testing fees with no cap either, and fines with no cap. (I have to read the bill Pence signed Thursday to see if there are caps on fines and/or testing fees. We know it was an amendment on the table and the bill with amendments for 1432 was passed in a rush of amendments late during final budget debates. So there many be caps that I don't know about yet.)

We are also holding a workshop for shops in June to go over all the aspects of the law as we should have everything mapped by then. So the immediate work is mapping out everything the law says with all amendments included and helping shop owners understand it.

Next is getting ready for the summer session debates require by 463 (honestly, I keep getting the number wrong, so don't bold me to this bill's number)

Third is the legal challenge.

We have just a handful of volunteer vapers to do this with, so we continue to work our asses off. We are very disappointed that posts about the bill passing get more comments than our calls to action. This is the reason advocates burn out.

Our biggest response was about 1000 people taking action on one CTA. Over 50,000 vapers saw the CTA. Calculate the percentage who acted. Now cut that down to a handful, and that's the percentage willing to work on the issues consuming their spare time. We've had one that had to step away or his wife was going to file for divorce. My wonderful wife calls herself a Hoosier Vapers widow.

Sorry, I'm probably ranting now. I'm unplugging for the weekend and spend some time with my beautiful bride and visit my mothers grave on mother's day where she's finally at peace and not struggling for every breath from smoking for 48 years.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Between your posts here and the info on Hoosiers Vapers FB page I'm learning a lot that I didn't know, thanks Hoosier for continuing to post updates and info here. I didn't realize the infractions would be applicable only to the person receiving the liquid from an out of state unlicensed vendor. So it literally can still be business as usual for these out of state vendors, they can sell as much liquid as they want to individuals residing in Indiana. It would be me taking the risk by ordering liquid from out of state. I'm totally down with that! :w00t:

So it looks like these bills really are targeting just the vape shops and of course setting the stage for a new cash cow. I've never felt much love for my local shop and it's prices but I want them to stay open because they are helping people and that matters so much. I will be off work from June 4th through mid August, I'm in the Northwestern corner of Indiana and would be willing to help if there is anything I can do from here, just let me know.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Just curious. I received an email from the Governors Office informing me the Bill had been signed into law. I think I sent three emails opposing the Bill which I guess is what prompted their email. Is this how everyone got the news?
Yep. That was the only response I got from his office.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Charly you may want to contact those vendors to see if they will still sell to you. I've contacted Nicoticket in Nebraska and they won't be selling to Indiana residents once this goes into affect. They have the facilities but not the security and I don't know if they are going to jump through all these hoops, time will tell but for now, no.

I emailed my supplier Wizard Labs, I just got off the phone with a Rep who called me. Talked to the Rep for about 20-30 minutes and he told me as of right now the law does not effect Wizard labs selling supplies to Indiana. The way they read the law, it only effects companies who make and sell ready-made juice not supplies used to make juice. He also told me until this new law is tested in court no one will really know its true meaning.

I was told until their lawyers tell them to stop selliing supplies to Indiana, they will still sell DIY supplies to customers in Indiana.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
I really do hope it goes to court over this, it could be a good thing if it did, they can keep the taxes, and the safety things on the bottles, and the underage stuff, just delete everything else. Why do they always have to go way over board on regulations, I am kind of freaked out about this, I DIY and have been for about a year, not really very good at it but good enough for me. I have about 10 liters of 100MG/ML nic in the freezer, and because of that I am a criminal now? I have always been a law abiding citizen, and I am mixing this for myself, I have shared a small amount with a coworker, just to see what he thought of it. Now doing that I am breaking the law again! I just can't believe this.

KAS

You actually have 10 liters of 100mg strength consentrate? Didn't know you could by 100mg in liters the largerest bottle my supplier sells is 500ml which is 16.9 ounces or 1/2 a liter. That would take up allot of room, same as haveing 5- 2 liter bottles of Coke.

Reactions: kas122461

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Every 2 Minutes in this Country, someone is Diagnosed with Lung Cancer.

And the Single Greatest way to Prevent Lung Cancer is to Stop Smoking.

I believe that in all the Hype and Taxes and Political Pestering that a Simple Fact is Lost. That using an e-Cigarettes has been shown to get people Off cigarettes. Period.

I understand the Allure of Easy Tax Revenue for Law Makers. And I would Never want to see e-Cigarettes Sold to Minors. But there is a Point when Regulations are going to do More Harm than Good. I believe that Indiana is going down that Road.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
This is what I find Baffling about Most of the Indiana Legislation.

It seems that All it does is Slam Indian Vapers/Vape Companies. While Reducing Indiana Revenue in the Process.

No they are just taking all the revenue from many and giving it to ONE BIG COMPANY who will be the only juice supplier suppling mom/pop tobacco stores. Thats called a monopoly in my book and I thought that was against the law.

This company funded the legislation that was past(or should I say filled CROCKED POLITICAINS pockets.)

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Every 2 Minutes in this Country, someone is Diagnosed with Lung Cancer.

And the Single Greatest was to Prevent Lung Cancer is to Stop Smoking.

I believe that in all the Hype and Taxes and Political Pestering that a Simple Fact is Lost. That using an e-Cigarettes has been shown to get people Off cigarettes. Period.

I understand the Allure of Easy Tax Revenue for Law Makers. And I would Never want to see e-Cigarettes Sold to Minors. But there is a Point when Regulations are going to do More Harm than Good. I believe that Indiana is going down that Road.

Government is addicted to the drug " tobacco taxes ". They DO NOT care about people smoking or quiting all they want is their kickbacks, tax dollars, and BIG COMPANY funds.

Reactions: four2109

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Government is addicted to the drug " tobacco taxes ". They DO NOT care about people smoking or quiting all they want is their kickbacks, tax dollars, and BIG COMPANY funds.

Individual Law Makers need to be Called Out on this.

And there should be a Public Record that they are Willing to Sacrifice Public Health in the Name of Tobacco Taxes.

Reactions: nicnik

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I don't think it's too early to start pressuring John Gregg and Karen Tallian for their stances on this type of legislation. I know Tallian voted for it, but I have been pretty impressed with some other things she has done. Is anyone here from her district?
I have no idea what Gregg's stance is on anything, because all he says is "I'm not Pence". I don't think this state will elect someone who looks like a walrus. So many voters are disengaged and vote for the candidate who "looks like a regular guy".

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
State Sen. Karen Tallian announces bid for governor

There is Zoidman. Votesmart.org gives you their voting history with links to bills and tons of other info. It's nationwide.

tks for the link. I checked on my county Rep Randy Head and out of the 15 no votes he was one of them. Maybe all the complaints I made to his office did help.

Said the vote passed 35-15, so 35 fricking idiots ruined the freedom to vape in Indiana.

Reactions: four2109

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
tks for the link. I checked on my county Rep Randy Head and out of the 15 no votes he was one of them. Maybe all the complaints I made to his office did help.

Said the vote passed 35-15, so 35 fricking idiots ruined the freedom to vape in Indiana.

To me, the 15 should be Contacted and Thanked.

And the 35 should be Remembered if they decide to Run for Office Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread