Status
Not open for further replies.

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
What type of cotton are you running in your atties? I love cotton and every type performs completely different depending on its form or how it's wove.

I have yet to venture from cotton gauze (didn't care for that wick) and cotton balls (so far so good!). I still need to boil some cheesecloth. And hit the stores this weekend for some rounds and some yarn.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Looked at the bottom around the grommet and yes, there were small pieces of the kanthal hanging out. I'm building again now and this time I'll snap them off rather than using nail clippers to clip them off. Thanks!

Well, on the bright side, it did give you a reason to build yet another coil didn't it, Miss I just love to build coils? :D

(just teasin) :vapor:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
.....the tricky part is stuffing the wicks through the 4 wick holes. Two of mine just broke off while trying to get them down into the holes.. I figure 2 will be enough so rather than tear the whole build down I left it like that. .....

Just had a thought. Why not experiment with an over wick. Might be worth a try.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
JD1 good point on breaking the wire by bending up and down and not twisting. I do the same thing, twisting can move the legs around where you don't want them and can break off in odd spots.

Adeline if you're enjoying cotton balls you will definitely like using the rounds. Basically the same cotton wool type but a lot stronger and easier to cut to shape.

Donna, glad to see you find where the short was. You can make really long wicks by cutting the rounds in a spiral, and you can make them a lot stronger by cutting wider and rolling the cotton really tight (it will expand after soaking). Does the 4 wick holes seem to help with juice flow?

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
JD1 good point on breaking the wire by bending up and down and not twisting. I do the same thing, twisting can move the legs around where you don't want them and can break off in odd spots.

Adeline if you're enjoying cotton balls you will definitely like using the rounds. Basically the same cotton wool type but a lot stronger and easier to cut to shape.

Donna, glad to see you find where the short was. You can make really long wicks by cutting the rounds in a spiral, and you can make them a lot stronger by cutting wider and rolling the cotton really tight (it will expand after soaking). Does the 4 wick holes seem to help with juice flow?

Yes, it's wicking very good. Although I think I can tell a difference with this build where two of the wicks came apart as I was trying to thread them through the holes. If I tip it too much, loose juice can come up through the empty holes and flood the cup and I get decreased vapor as a result. But after figuring it out, I'm not having any problems keeping the moisture balanced.

And yes, JD... once I figured out what happened to cause the short, I was thrilled that I "had" to recoil it LOL. :D

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Update: It's been vaping great yesterday evening and all day today! Awesome flavor, just as good as the SS mesh in my vulcan. Perfect draw, tons of vapor. Much more purse friendly than the vulcan. I don't see any air hole though, unless it's down on the 510 threaded part but I'm having no trouble with stiff draws. I'm kinda afraid to say this... but so far, this is everything I hoped it would be :D

Mack... did you get yours yet?

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Update: It's been vaping great yesterday evening and all day today! Awesome flavor, just as good as the SS mesh in my vulcan. Perfect draw, tons of vapor. Much more purse friendly than the vulcan. I don't see any air hole though, unless it's down on the 510 threaded part but I'm having no trouble with stiff draws. I'm kinda afraid to say this... but so far, this is everything I hoped it would be :D

Mack... did you get yours yet?

Nope not yet, tracking says friday.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Nope not yet, tracking says friday.

I've got some new (to me) flavors coming tomorrow also. It's liable to be fogged in from here to Michigan lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the new flavor is RY4 double from TFA. (It's all Macks fault, he keeps talking about it over in the diy section) :vapor:

Last edited:

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I've got some new (to me) flavors coming tomorrow also. It's liable to be fogged in from here to Michigan lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the new flavor is RY4 double from TFA. (It's all Macks fault, he keeps talking about it over in the diy section) :vapor:

Ha! Sorry about that, once I figure something out I can be a little persuasive :"> lol.

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
I've had my drunker tank for about a week now, the only problem I've had is the 510 connection at the bottom came loose. It is a pressure fit connection, took the whole thing apart to clean it and then tapped it back in tight.

Did it go back in easily? I haven't had any issues yet, thankfully.

CVS didn't have cotton rounds. They were sold out apparently. That means I need to boil some cheese cloth and try a new wick on my Drunker! We're getting a fair amount of snow and ice right now, so I'm stranded for the time being.

I'm patiently waiting for WL to reopen so I can put in another flavoring order.. Bunch of TFA flavors I haven't tried yet. Apparently Double RY4 has to be on the list! Just blew $100 on FA stuff today.

Thank goodness for the weekend. I can sit back and DIY some juice and wrap some coils and vape myself silly! Going to my first vape meet on Sunday.. Going to bring my RBAs and some of my DIY and meet some local vapers!

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Did it go back in easily? I haven't had any issues yet, thankfully.

CVS didn't have cotton rounds. They were sold out apparently. That means I need to boil some cheese cloth and try a new wick on my Drunker! We're getting a fair amount of snow and ice right now, so I'm stranded for the time being.

I'm patiently waiting for WL to reopen so I can put in another flavoring order.. Bunch of TFA flavors I haven't tried yet. Apparently Double RY4 has to be on the list! Just blew $100 on FA stuff today.

Thank goodness for the weekend. I can sit back and DIY some juice and wrap some coils and vape myself silly! Going to my first vape meet on Sunday.. Going to bring my RBAs and some of my DIY and meet some local vapers!

I was thinking the same thing... nothing to do this weekend but play with my vape stuff :) You said you were going to a local vape meet... is it somewhere close? I've never been to one. Madvapes had one in charlotte a couple months ago but I couldn't make it.

I noticed the pbusardo did a review of a tank atty called the v-core It looks a lot like the insides of the drunker. Apparently he thinks it is supposed to have replaceable "heads" but noticed that the store didn't list them. He also gave it a thumbs down because he said it didn't wick fast enough and wasn't chain vapable. On the drunker, the heating coil looks to be a lot closer to the juice. I have no problems at all with wicking, have yet to get a dry or burnt hit. And I really don't do much tilting. Even with only two wicks down in the juice ( the other two broke off trying to stuff them down through the holes) I get great wicking. from looking at it and then looking at the drunker, I believe these tanks are meant to be true rebuildables and have no replacement heads. I wasn't too impressed with the stock coil and wick that came with it, I didn't like the flavor that the wicks gave off. But the cotton rounds.. WOW! The flavor is so pure and rich I almost got sick last night. (I don't know if it was the footlong hotdog I had eaten earlier or the nic)

I really love this thing (so far) and it makes me want to throw rocks at my vivi novas LOL

A PBusardo Review - The V-Core CE Style Tank - YouTube

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
.......CVS didn't have cotton rounds. They were sold out apparently. That means I need to boil some cheese cloth and try a new wick on my Drunker! We're getting a fair amount of snow and ice right now, so I'm stranded for the time being....

Cheese cloth wicks just as well as the pads imo, and might even work out to be easier for those long wicks.

I'm patiently waiting for WL to reopen so I can put in another flavoring order.. Bunch of TFA flavors I haven't tried yet. Apparently Double RY4 has to be on the list! Just blew $100 on FA stuff today......

If you want to try Macks recipe you'll need some brown sugar as well, and I think something else, but I can't remember. I just tried, but couldn't fine his post. Maybe he'll pop in later and give us a link.

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
I was thinking the same thing... nothing to do this weekend but play with my vape stuff :) You said you were going to a local vape meet... is it somewhere close? I've never been to one. Madvapes had one in charlotte a couple months ago but I couldn't make it.

This one is at the Hibernian Pub in Cary. Very close to me.. Not so much for you. :)
It's being hosted a guy who owns/runs(?) a Volcano shop in Raleigh. But apparently he's a really nice guy, and is bringing material to build a wick(!) so I won't let the brand name keep me from going.

I noticed the pbusardo did a review of a tank atty called the v-core It looks a lot like the insides of the drunker. Apparently he thinks it is supposed to have replaceable "heads" but noticed that the store didn't list them. He also gave it a thumbs down because he said it didn't wick fast enough and wasn't chain vapable. On the drunker, the heating coil looks to be a lot closer to the juice. I have no problems at all with wicking, have yet to get a dry or burnt hit. And I really don't do much tilting. Even with only two wicks down in the juice ( the other two broke off trying to stuff them down through the holes) I get great wicking. from looking at it and then looking at the drunker, I believe these tanks are meant to be true rebuildables and have no replacement heads. I wasn't too impressed with the stock coil and wick that came with it, I didn't like the flavor that the wicks gave off. But the cotton rounds.. WOW! The flavor is so pure and rich I almost got sick last night. (I don't know if it was the footlong hotdog I had eaten earlier or the nic)

I really love this thing (so far) and it makes me want to throw rocks at my vivi novas LOL

A PBusardo Review - The V-Core CE Style Tank - YouTube

I was looking for a pbusardo video on the drunker, and passed by the vcore. This is a true rebuildable.. but I would love the ability to order replacement parts.. Specifically the ceramic cup and the rubber gromets. I wonder if we can pester the suppliers for them.. :)

My stock wick/coil was okay. Better than the stock crap in the A7 I bought. But moving to cotton was natural and easy. I haven't been able to pick up rounds yet. Disappointing! I have a bunch of silica that's sitting here gathering dust, and I'm happy it is. I can't get it to work, and have little desire to keep tasting that crap!! :p

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I just got mine in the mail!

Just got done removing the silica and 2.4ohm coil... it was square shaped. Used my same method as the vivi nova medium sized sewing needle coil 4 wraps 33 awg kanthal. Cut thin strips of cotton rounds, rolled them tight. Ran the main wick through the coil, cut the other in half one for each of the 2 remaining wick holes then slid them into the slots over the main wick yet not over the coil. Letting it sit to soak the cotton for a couple hours now.

It actually looks really nice even without an added drip tip and you can use the beer bottle top comfortabley. I love the bigger grommets, feels alot stronger than the vivi nova. I really like it already, it has a lot of potential. Also the ceramic cup makes it so I can experiment with thick gauge r-wires as you can't in the metal vivi nova head. Will report back after vape testing, and maybe some pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread