Installing Cotton in you Kanger T3s

Status
Not open for further replies.

floatingtrem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I've been replacing my T3 wicks with cotton. Some people have shown interest, so I thought I'd put together a quick tutorial to show how I do it.

With this method I am getting better vapor and have experienced zero leaks (I have also widened the metal tube at the top end, I think that also makes a difference).

I'm not recoiling the suckers yet, just replacing the wick.

Required Materials:
Kanger T3/MT3
Cotton Balls
Needle or Pin
Scissors

Disassemble your coil head and pull the wicks out of the coil gently (I use NN pliers). You'll want to remove any residual juice on the coils. I just hit it with some compressed air, but you can just as easily give it a good blow.
cotton1.JPG

Remove a piece of cotton from your cotton ball.
cotton2.JPG

Twist the cotton to form a taper. At the end of the taper give it a snip with some scissors, so you have a nice tip for threading the coils.
cotton3.JPG

Thread the cotton through the coils. Continue to pull through until taught. I find it helps to twist the cotton as you pull it through in order to jam as much cotton in there as necessary. If you don't pack the wick tight enough, you will have leaks.
cotton4.JPG

With your pin or needle, adjust the coils a bit. Try to space them evenly and make sure they don't touch the sides. Once everything is adjusted properly, snip the sides of the wicks. They need to be shorter then the section below, if not, they may get pulled out during assembly.
cotton5.JPG

Drop in a couple drops of juice and give it a test fire to make sure everything is working properly.
cotton6.JPG

Reassemble and you're good to go!

The cotton takes a little bit to break in, and the first few hits are a little cottony. I tend to puff on it for awhile, and after a bit it starts hitting like a champ.

DISCLAIMER: I've heard it's recommended that you boil cotton before using as a wick, but personally I'm more concerned about what's going to grow on the drying cotton ball, so I don't. Use cotton at your own risk.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Excellent post. Thanks.

With cotton balls you don't need to be concerned about the addition of sizing, wax, bleach, and colors as you would using cotton thread or string, so boiling cotton balls is not necessary.

I would advise boiling cotton or bamboo thread or string before usage, though.

Sizing and wax are used when cotton is made into thread. Sizing is to strengthen the cotton fibers to help prevent breakage in the machines and wax is used as a lubricant to help prevent jamming.

If you'll notice when using new wash cloths or towels they are not as absorbent as the are after a few washings and the sizing and wax has been removed.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yes, the original wick should come out fairly easily, unless it's super gunked up. If you have trouble maybe try giving it an alcohol soak to loosen things up a bit. Also, if your coil is fried, your coil is fried, and a new wick won't help.

This is a pretty easy process. I wish you luck!

Coils work great... I usually soak in alcohol and dry burn regularly.... but the wicks are dirty and no alcohol has helped! I'll let you know!

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
What is the benefit to flipping the cap upside down?
With the cap in its normal position it covers more of the slot while also pressing down on the exposed wicks. Reversing the cap will uncover more of the slot and relieve some pressure on the wick which might allow more juice to get to the coil lessening the chances of dry hits.

Removing one or both of the flavor wicks might accomplish the same thing.

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Queensland banana bender land of OZ
cheers floatingtrem.............I was abit scared to do this...but what the hell.....one of my...first t3 I got always leaked...no matter what I did ...so I given it a good soak put away.......I had it pulled apart...so the coil wick could dry well..........so I followed your pics...old coil wick slid out easy...new cotton taper..also slid in ok..it fired with a few juice drops...put back together...leaked after a few vapes..pulled apart again....flipped cap....still leaked...pulled apart again added..one top wick....and yes you ripper it vapes great....taste only took a little while to come through...so cheers....yes I know there only a few bucks to replace...but every cent you save..goes for something else us vapers need.........plus it was more of the fun.......just seeing if I could do it....:thumb:

I've been replacing my T3 wicks with cotton. Some people have shown interest, so I thought I'd put together a quick tutorial to show how I do it.

With this method I am getting better vapor and have experienced zero leaks (I have also widened the metal tube at the top end, I think that also makes a difference).

I'm not recoiling the suckers yet, just replacing the wick.

Required Materials:
Kanger T3/MT3
Cotton Balls
Needle or Pin
Scissors

Disassemble your coil head and pull the wicks out of the coil gently (I use NN pliers). You'll want to remove any residual juice on the coils. I just hit it with some compressed air, but you can just as easily give it a good blow.
cotton1.JPG

Remove a piece of cotton from your cotton ball.
cotton2.JPG

Twist the cotton to form a taper. At the end of the taper give it a snip with some scissors, so you have a nice tip for threading the coils.
cotton3.JPG

Thread the cotton through the coils. Continue to pull through until taught. I find it helps to twist the cotton as you pull it through in order to jam as much cotton in there as necessary. If you don't pack the wick tight enough, you will have leaks.
cotton4.JPG

With your pin or needle, adjust the coils a bit. Try to space them evenly and make sure they don't touch the sides. Once everything is adjusted properly, snip the sides of the wicks. They need to be shorter then the section below, if not, they may get pulled out during assembly.
cotton5.JPG

Drop in a couple drops of juice and give it a test fire to make sure everything is working properly.
cotton6.JPG

Reassemble and you're good to go!

The cotton takes a little bit to break in, and the first few hits are a little cottony. I tend to puff on it for awhile, and after a bit it starts hitting like a champ.

DISCLAIMER: I've heard it's recommended that you boil cotton before using as a wick, but personally I'm more concerned about what's going to grow on the drying cotton ball, so I don't. Use cotton at your own risk.

How long does cotton wool, such as the stuff you use, last before it burns ?. An educated guess tells me not long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread