Introducing... my bottom feeding mod (MyMod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
should have something up by Friday. Hope you guys are having a nice Spring

Excellent!

Well, Spring of 2015 is off to a rough start for me...

1. 46" TV died (replaced with bigger screen)
  2. HTC One M(8) phone died (replaced under warranty)
  3. Sirius Stratus 6 satellite radio died (replaced with Stratus 7)
  4. Vaporshark DNA30 is weirding out
  5. Oven element died (replaced)
  6. Lime tree died (replacement already purchased)
  7. Lawn pump getting too weak & will require professional service or replacement
  8. Exterior house paint peeling

...but...

1. We're nearly done prepping my friend's boat for Cobia season (they've already started appearing)
  2. Cobia season is nearly upon us!
  3. Fishing soon!
  4. Hoping to bring a rugged mod out fishing - MyMod!
  5. Cobia!

P.S.
ECF is weirding out this morning for me! It took me multiple tries in various browsers to post this.

Last edited:

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Spring break was a blast.

I was able to finish designing the mod. Here are a few pics.

APULRGc.png

A few changes from the original design:

1. The most significant change is that I decided to use a common 6ml bottle rather than the specialized 10 ml bottle. The 10ml bottle was originally made by me for prototype purposes and was not a production bottle. Going forward with that will require a mold. Using a 6ml bottle would also benefit users as it's easier to get replacement, because bottles do wear out. But most importantly, the door mechanism for the 10ml bottle did not work as well as I wanted. It was not as convenient to remove and replace the door with that huge 10ml bottle in place. I also did not find too much enthusiasm for the 10ml capacity, in that it's not the main reason why ppl like the mod. On balance, I decided to use a common, off the shelf 6 ml bottle.

2. The firing button is made bigger for better comfort. It will be a machined metal piece, so I'm sure it'll boost the aesthetics. The mod is made with sub ohmers in mind so there will be a ceramic piece where the button meets the contact spring.

3. The door can be taken off and put back very easily. You merely pull it off and push it back on. This is very important to me because I refill a lot and swap batteries a lot. When I used other mods, I find myself not putting the door back on due to laziness. I was also able to solve the play problem.

4. The 510 connector will be made in house with SS, and the mod is designed to accept pretty much all atties.

That's pretty much it as far as significant changes go. You still have your auto fuse for safety. Speaking of safety, there is a silicone piece that insulates the battery from the aluminum housing near the negative terminal. The mod is designed so that it's pretty much impossible to short circuit.

M7cCdD9.png

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
As you can see above in the 2nd pic, the door can be directly pulled off. This is the part I like the best.

Overall, even though mod is conservative, a lot of thoughts went into it to make it as user friendly as possible. I was able the enlist the help of my father, who is a professional mechanical engineer to double check the design and CAD drawings. I want this prototype I'm about to make to be the final one. Those experience and lesson from the past few months of using my original prototype has to be count for something!

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Spring break was a blast.

I was able to finish designing the mod. Here are a few pics.

APULRGc.png

A few changes from the original design:

1. The most significant change is that I decided to use a common 6ml bottle rather than the specialized 10 ml bottle. The 10ml bottle was originally made by me for prototype purposes and was not a production bottle. Going forward with that will require a mold. Using a 6ml bottle would also benefit users as it's easier to get replacement, because bottles do wear out. But most importantly, the door mechanism for the 10ml bottle did not work as well as I wanted. It was not as convenient to remove and replace the door with that huge 10ml bottle in place. I also did not find too much enthusiasm for the 10ml capacity, in that it's not the main reason why ppl like the mod. On balance, I decided to use a common, off the shelf 6 ml bottle.

2. The firing button is made bigger for better comfort. It will be a machined metal piece, so I'm sure it'll boost the aesthetics. The mod is made with sub ohmers in mind so there will be a ceramic piece where the button meets the contact spring.

3. The door can be taken off and put back very easily. You merely pull it off and push it back on. This is very important to me because I refill a lot and swap batteries a lot. When I used other mods, I find myself not putting the door back on due to laziness. I was also able to solve the play problem.

4. The 510 connector will be made in house with SS, and the mod is designed to accept pretty much all atties.

That's pretty much it as far as significant changes go. You still have your auto fuse for safety. Speaking of safety, there is a silicone piece that insulates the battery from the aluminum housing near the negative terminal. The mod is designed so that it's pretty much impossible to short circuit.

M7cCdD9.png

It is obvious you have put a lot of thought into this. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the prototype!

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
I like the door arrangement, but see no dimensions in the pic.

I think he meant the proportions pictured represented the dimensions he gave, not that the pics had dimensions marked.
He then noted that he plans a 2nd prototype with a slightly different size (and thus different proportions from what was shown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread