istick 50 watt exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    As far as you all know, is the problem unique to just the 50w models right now?

I have a few istick 20's and 30's but don't have a need for 50w. Every time I read something like this, it scares the begeebees out of me. I guess I'm a careful battery user, never leave anything on a charger, never vape it immediately and keep all charging units on a spare marble tile on top of my marble bathroom counter. Off to find battery bags to further ease my mind.

Steam from a shower wouldn't be good for that scenario. Someone here reported already they had one charging while using the shower and it exploded.
    The marble tile idea is good tho:)

Ms.Cruzer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 20, 2010
    Woodland Park, CO
    Steam from a shower wouldn't be good for that scenario. Someone here reported already they had one charging while using the shower and it exploded.
    The marble idea is good tho:)

Really? My bathroom has an outside room away from the where I charge. I guess it's more of a dressing room with a sink than a bathroom. Heck, there's more humidity outside in South Mississippi than there is in my bathroom. :D

Something else to be aware of.....

Reactions: r77r7r

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    Unrelated but do any of you know how to enter the security code on the eleaf website? It's in a weird format

Example
    0000 1111
    2222 3333

I tried it from top left to right and bottom left to right it says its not found, I bought it from vapenw, just wanna check authenticity just in-case mine goes boom, or it needs parts.
    Start with the top numbers. Left to right. Then the bottom numbers. It worked the first time for me. I bought mine from MVB.

Braddahbill

ECF Veteran
    Aug 18, 2012
    Hawaii
    From day 1 when I started vaping on my little e-Go batteries I made this charging box out of an old Army surplus ammo can. I drilled a hole in the side installed a rubber grommet > cut off the plug of a short extension cord, slipped it through the grommet, and reattached a new grounded plug > add the bricks to hold it down with the lid open. I am now running a Pila Intelligent Charger for my 18650s and never worry about charging, over charging, leaving the batteries in the charger while out of the house or sleeping.

I would say ANY device that has inboard charging needs a a lipo bag or some protection even if you have to make it yourself. I have seen too many posts about people leaving their device charging on a counter top and it catches fire - yes there are 1000s of people saying I do it all the time with no problems, but it does happen.

Do something, build something, protect yourself and feel good.

Charge box 2.jpg
    Charge box 1.jpg

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    Not the first time someone mentioned this with the actual charger itself. I absolutely refuse to use it. Even the eleaf brand wall adapter gets hot and makes the mod hot in a matter of 5 minutes. I won't use something that gets hot that fast. I charge mine using the USB cable and have it plugged into my laptop. Not once has it gotten warm. Glad you're okay though and weren't holding it.

I found just the opposite with my 30w -- using a regular USB-to-wall-adapter, it's fine, but when I plugged in the USB from my PC, I noticed that the iStick got rather warm, in a rather short time, so I unplugged it. Don't wanna risk my brand new PC! First laptop, and it's got 16gb of RAM! I'm a protective mother!!! :D

For this 30w, I just got the mod, no kit, so I'm using my 500mA charging cables, so it takes a while; I figure, I like it so well, next iStick I'll get the full kit, so I have the 1A charging cable.

Andria

Reactions: Bikenstein

Burn1ngChrome

Apr 17, 2015
    The iStick 50W is said to have Lithium Polymer batteries (LiPo). Those are said to be much less likely to explode or spew when being charged or in use. I wonder if the iStick circuitry failed and caused the problem. The picture posted definitely looks like there was extreme heat and flames.

I've dropped my iStick 50W a couple of times. You always wonder if something shifted inside, but it works just fine. Any safety conscious manufacturer would insert mylar inserts where components could shift and touch ground.

I think there was a grimm green video where he talk d about dropping his istick 50 into the ocean on vacation so he opened it up snd found two 18650 batteries within a sheath

Edit: i guess those were wrapped lipobatt ries

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Southern California
    The charger in the picture posted up topic had 1000mah on the side. That shouldn't be too much for a pair of 18650 batts. I've been charging several brands of 18650's on my Efest LUC 4 charger set to charge at 1A (1000mah) ]

isn't 1Amp considered a 'fast charge', tho?

but look at this:
    eciggity suggests (in bold and astericked) a 0.5amp wall adapter for the istick50
    Eleaf iStick 50W Battery - Eciggity
    Hoosier's ad says 'up to 1A'
    Ismoka / EleafUS website advert emphasizes a 1A rate.
    the 'replacement' USB cable, if it's to USB 1.0 or 2.0 specs,(and at $1.07ea/1000, it probably is) is rated for 500mah.

If nobody knows what the levels are, is it 0.5 slow charge or a 1A fast-charge or somewhere in between, it's easy to get in trouble - especially if the user has no control over which batts they're using in the first place.

Scary stuff

Mike Qin

Unresolved Status
    Sep 3, 2013
    www.vprocig.com
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    isn't 1Amp considered a 'fast charge', tho?

but look at this:
    eciggity suggests (in bold and astericked) a 0.5amp wall adapter for the istick50
    Eleaf iStick 50W Battery - Eciggity
    Hoosier's ad says 'up to 1A'
    Ismoka / EleafUS website advert emphasizes a 1A rate.
    the 'replacement' USB cable, if it's to USB 1.0 or 2.0 specs,(and at $1.07ea/1000, it probably is) is rated for 500mah.

If nobody knows what the levels are, is it 0.5 slow charge or a 1A fast-charge or somewhere in between, it's easy to get in trouble - especially if the user has no control over which batts they're using in the first place.

Scary stuff

I don't have one, but I just had a look at it online. It has a 4400 mAh battery which means it probably has two cells in it. I saw the 5 hour charge from a 1A wall adapter suggestion on the Eleaf website too. I consider 1A a really low and very safe charge rate for a 4400 mAh battery.

I charge my 18650 2100 to 2500 mAh batteries at 1/2A most of the time which is also about a 4-5 hour charge time if they are almost empty. I don't hesitate to charge at 1A if I need to sometimes. That is still at less than half the 'C' (capacity) value, in this case 1C = 2.1A at worst. Most of these batteries will handle 1C which in my case would be a 2.1A or 2.5A charge rate. I have a VaporShark DNA40 with a built in 2500mAh battery that charges from USB at around 2.5A. I bought a good quality 2.4A rated USB wall adapter for it which seems to handle it with just a slight temperature increase. The mod gets warmer than the adapter. I consider that a fast charge.

Last edited:

Jubei007

Apr 21, 2015
    Wow, glad your OK and were around to address the situation quickly. That type of event can burn a place down!

I have an iStick 30w for about 2 weeks, no issues and I'm always around when I'm charging it.

These types of events are bad for the industry / vaping. The Fed's may look at these cases in the future and may impose regulations on the Mod manufacturers, sometimes the regulations and restrictions are so stringent, that it makes the manufacturer quit producing them. That is one way to put the brakes on this industry...

Reactions: Bikenstein

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey guys long time lurker but since this happened I had to post. Me and my girlfriend bought an Istick 50 watt about 3 weeks ago, and last night I plugged if up to chatge, woke up unplugged it and went dang this thing is hot. 2 mins later it goes kaboom and catches on fire. Just figured I'd post this up to warn others. Don't trust the chargee to turn off the voltage to your batteries. I'm trying to upload pics but says file is too large.

I'm really glad you're OK! That was scary. From the posts I've read in this thread it seems Eleaf should really get their act together before someone does get seriously hurt.

This is also why I never leave a battery on charge when I'm not here and awake. That goes for all the batteries we have, vape batteries, laptop, cell phones, cordless phones, power tool, you get the idea. It doesn't happen often, but if a battery or charger causes a fire here at least I'm here and awake and I know exactly where my fire extinguisher is.

guht

Apr 26, 2015
    Hey guys long time lurker but since this happened I had to post. Me and my girlfriend bought an Istick 50 watt about 3 weeks ago, and last night I plugged if up to chatge, woke up unplugged it and went dang this thing is hot. 2 mins later it goes kaboom and catches on fire. Just figured I'd post this up to warn others. Don't trust the chargee to turn off the voltage to your batteries. I'm trying to upload pics but says file is too large.

You sure it wasn't the cigarette under the couch that started the fire?! :evil:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread