Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
been picking up my regulated devices recently. It was quiet at night time and upon close inspection I could hear something from my istick 60. Really close to my ear and I can hear.
'Tick, tick, tick'?
I thought that's not good. Battery fine, tip top condition, Almost full voltage.
I got my pegasus reg out and put a new battery in.
Again 'tick, tick, tick'

Then I thought it's fine and it's just an internal counter. Like maybe puff counter or something?
Any body else?

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Pay closer attention ;)
No, I never have before.
Listen really hard. It's only slight
I put it right up to my ear and hit the power before juice started sizzling to much and still not hearing any ticking. If I never heard it before and suddenly did not sure what I would think.

Reactions: Zutankhamun

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I put it right up to my ear and hit the power before juice started sizzling to much and still not hearing any ticking. If I never heard it before and suddenly did not sure what I would think.

Well I've never noticed it before but considering its two mods I thought I'd just forget it.
I don't have to fire the device. Just turn it on and 'tick, tick, tick'
I feel safer with my mechs these days.

But I remember when I used to have desktops and when I was little I'd pull the PC apart to change something and there was clicking from an internal clock without the power on. Most likely on the motherboard. Damn, oh well.

Reactions: anavidfan

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Found this on the Joytech site "eVic-VT has some characteristic sounds in operation. These sounds are very low in volume, and can typically only be detected by holding the device close to the ear. eVic-VT boost circuit inductor emits a continuous high-frequency buzz, and the switching system that detects atomizer resistance produces an intermittent ticking noise rather like that of a quartz watch. These noises are normal, and should not cause concern in any device that is otherwise functioning normally. When the device goes into standby after a period of 3 minutes without use, or if the power button is pressed 5 times, all such noises will immediately cease."

Why does eVic-VT may have some slightly ticking sound and continuous high-frequency buzz during the usage? - Joyetech

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I used to use a KICK back in the day. On my Saber touch, it was quiet. Maybe the thickness of the device had something to do with it.

Then I got an ELA. Thats when I heard a faint "whir", not always but sometimes.

Ordered another KICK and it did tick. Since it had not had another kick do that I got an exchange, no more tick.

I did notice that the kick would make noises depending on the mod. Could be a flaw, or maybe it all depends on your vape style. How high the wattage is, how thick your wire is, how low your resistance is and how long your draw in.

Not having that device I can only hypothesize. What are your parameters. Did you get a new atty? Is the battery been used for a long time? Try a new battery.

Im sure you are not the only one. It would also worry me as my experience did with the Kicks. You just want to make sure yours does not go "boom"

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
K thanks guys

Found this on the Joytech site "eVic-VT has some characteristic sounds in operation. These sounds are very low in volume, and can typically only be detected by holding the device close to the ear. eVic-VT boost circuit inductor emits a continuous high-frequency buzz, and the switching system that detects atomizer resistance produces an intermittent ticking noise rather like that of a quartz watch. These noises are normal, and should not cause concern in any device that is otherwise functioning normally. When the device goes into standby after a period of 3 minutes without use, or if the power button is pressed 5 times, all such noises will immediately cease."

Why does eVic-VT may have some slightly ticking sound and continuous high-frequency buzz during the usage? - Joyetech

I'll go with that. :) House mouse replied to this thread and he's got that mod and it does it on his/hers. That's cool.

I used to use a KICK back in the day. On my Saber touch, it was quiet. Maybe the thickness of the device had something to do with it.

Then I got an ELA. Thats when I heard a faint "whir", not always but sometimes.

Ordered another KICK and it did tick. Since it had not had another kick do that I got an exchange, no more tick.

I did notice that the kick would make noises depending on the mod. Could be a flaw, or maybe it all depends on your vape style. How high the wattage is, how thick your wire is, how low your resistance is and how long your draw in.

Not having that device I can only hypothesize. What are your parameters. Did you get a new atty? Is the battery been used for a long time? Try a new battery.

Im sure you are not the only one. It would also worry me as my experience did with the Kicks. You just want to make sure yours does not go "boom"

Thanks AAF. Yeah but I've had the kayfun = tick, always 1.2-3 build different kanthal. Still tick. Just put a new expromiser I got on. Still click.

BTW, just got my Gus Lord in the post today. Beautiful, it goes well with the others

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
K thanks guys

I'll go with that. :) House mouse replied to this thread and he's got that mod and it does it on his/hers. That's cool.

Thanks AAF. Yeah but I've had the kayfun = tick, always 1.2-3 build different kanthal. Still tick. Just put a new expromiser I got on. Still click.

BTW, just got my Gus Lord in the post today. Beautiful, it goes well with the others

That Lord is a beauty... fancy without being too busy. Love the textures that GUS comes out with.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
@classwife
@anavidfan

I'm such a show off.
Terrible photographer though.
image.jpg

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Some mods use PWM at a lower hertz rate that can cause "rattlesnakeing". Where it sounds like a rattlesnakes tail when you hit the button. That may be the sound you're hearing.

The higher the hertz the smoother the signal. The lower the hertz you can audibly hear it cycling.

PBursardo said the istick fires about 48Hz where as the evic fires about 100Hz and the Provari fires about 800Hz.

Maybe that will help!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread