Joyetech Cuboid 150 watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
Got mine today. Holy hell this thing is fantastic. It is by far the smallest dual 650 mod I have used (Aside from my Castigator but that is a mech).

This thing just rips, TC works awesome which I expected. What I love about it is that its just like my VTC Mini but now I don't have to worry about battery life. Dual 650's easily get me through work and I can just swap in a new set when I get home if needed.

Currently rocking a velocity with dual SS Claptons at 55W-500F and she is ripping. Also used my Twisted Messes at 65W-480 Degrees and is identical vape to my RX200 which also does not surprise me due to Joytech doing both boards. I gotta say, the TC on the joyetech boards is fantastic. I have a Snow wolf 200 and a Snow Wolf Mini 75 and I find the TC on those to be way off. And that is comparing Nickel 200 on each, I know the SW's cant run SS. Well, they can but you need the temps down around 212 and it still may burn.

Either way, I don't think anyone is going to be able to get a regulated dual 650 any smaller than this device. And that is what I love so much, it is small and has the board to make it better than 95% of the mods out there. I also love the fact that they are constantly releasing updates for us. I already upped it to 200W not that I need it as I never go over 120, but why not do it haha.
Did you get that one from Vaporizer Distributer? If not, what have you heard or done? I have yet to hear anything other than that email I posted.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
A nice, fairly complete look at it from The Vapor Chronicles (including a primer on how to update the firmware).

I agree with Brian on the Cuboid Mod. It's a bit heavy for its size, but there's a lot packed into this little package. It's taller than the Joyetech VTC Mini because the electronics are above the batteries, and it's a little thicker because the screen and up/down buttons are in front of the batteries. The small form factor is very nice. Some have dinged it for the position of the vape button, but I like it, and mine has no rattles at all. The battery door is easy to open with a fingernail when no batteries are installed. It pops open when batteries are in it, and closes firmly and securely, keeping the batteries well seated. Reverse Battery Protection works! I know that. :blush:

Adjusting the settings takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not hard to understand and the various settings are fairly easy to learn and remember. It's great to be able to set the Wire Type & Wattage and then set the Temperature with Up and Down. And I love that it remembers the last used settings for each different wire type.

I've been using it in Ni Mode with a Black SubTank Mini RBA and a 0.15Ω Ni200 single coil build. I think the Black Tank looks very sharp on this Mod, especially when looking at the screen side. While a Stainless tank looks OK, for me it's not a perfect match, and depending on how the light hits it, the "silver" look of the Mod can be much darker than the tank because of the brushed finish. But that's not really a big deal.

Cuboid%20and%20Cubis%201.jpg

Cuboid%20and%20Cubis%202.jpg

The first thing I did when I got it was upgrade it to Firmware 3.10. It was a very simple and fast process.

The Preset TC Modes are nice, and having 3 TC Memory settings for different wire types is a great feature.

After having been given the proper TC setting for SS316L by Jalcide, I started using it more reliably with a SS316L Triple Parallel Coil Head in a newly released tank. I wasn't crazy about the way it performed, so I put it down for a while and went back to my Reuleaux DNA200. I was using it with the same SubTank setup at 500°F and 60W, with a 100W Preheat. I decided to try the Cuboid's Ni Mode set to 100W with the SubTank to compare it with the DNA200 settings. I must say that it's working great. I'm glad I decided to try it this way. I'll try it later with UD SS316L in the SubTank and compare that to the DNA200, now that I have it setup for that. Thanks again, Jalcide! :thumbs: I'll try UD TA1 wire after that.

I'm using married VTC4. I noticed that the two battery bars discharged at different rates, but it never got to a 0.3V difference that would tell me Imbalanced Batteries. However, I did not have it connected via USB, either. That is a Charging error (according to the manual), and I saw this during Discharge as I vaped. I didn't think to check the battery levels with it turned Off. I will do that if I see it again on that pair.

I have been charging the batteries externally, but when they need to be charged again, I will do that via USB. I'd like to know how long that will take, and watch the charge rates of the two batteries. I also like to see if it will display the changes with it turned Off while set to look at both battery levels, or if that display will turn off just as fast as it does when checking battery levels while it's Off but not charging. And I want to see if I get an Imbalanced Batteries error if the discharge levels during normal use are different again. I will post that info when I have it.

The manual says that while in a TC Mode, it will automatically switch to Power Mode when a coil setup above 1.5Ω is attached. So I checked it. All I did was tap the vape button and it switched. The manual also says that if a non-TC coil of less than 1.5Ω is attached, it will switch to Power Mode after 2 seconds of vaping. So to test that, I put the SubTank back on, set it to Ni Mode, and took a few vapes. Then I put on a 0.3Ω Coil Head tank. I took a 4 second vape and it worked fine. I could not see how long it took to switch to Power Mode as I vaped, but it switched. :thumb: I could test it again without vaping, but I don't want to risk causing damage because the coil is not being cooled like it is when vaping. I'm satisfied that it switched.

I don't consider this Chain Vaping, but I often take another vape after 10-15 seconds, and sometimes sooner (not counting the exhale time). I have noticed that the Mod can get warm to somewhat hot. I'm wondering if this is normal. I have not read the entire thread to see if anyone else has noticed this. And I'm not going to torture test it to see if the board/chip Over Temp Protection kicks in.

All in all, it's a great little device, with a lot of power and features for all kinds of vaping styles. For a dual series 18650 Mod, it's very reasonably priced. I'm happy to have it!

The Cuboid Mod and Cubis Tank are for sale at Heaven Gifts:

150W Joyetech Cuboid TC Express Kit W/O Battery

Joyetech Cubis Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml

HDMontana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Montana
Thanks, HD. :thumb: I'll keep and eye on it (or a hand :D) and report it to the vendor if necessary.
Your welcome. Now that I have been pretty much chain vaping mine for about 15 minutes, it is just slightly warm. I would definitely pay attention to how hot yours gets.

HD

Reactions: 100%VG

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI
Have not noticed mine getting hot, or even warm. Have had it for about a week.

HD
Agreed. I have been chain vaping mine around 60-90 watts playing with a new coil setup and no warmth at all.
Did you get that one from Vaporizer Distributer? If not, what have you heard or done? I have yet to hear anything other than that email I posted.
The one I got yesterday was from cheap drips on eBay. After not getting shipment notifications from the two places in China I ordered from I ordered through eBay for 12 bucks more. So go figure, I started the claims yesterday and today vaporizer distributor emails me and says basically we are sorry for the delay, they basically didn't get enough in their shipment so I took a back seat. He sent me a tracking number which is showing origin post preparing shipment. I'm not closing the claim until I get it though, took almost two full weeks to just get that shipment status and I know I won't have it for another two weeks.

The other place I went through was 3fVape and they have done nothing but dodge my emails as well so I did a claim for that too. I'm done with China minus fast tech from now on this point forward. I'll spend the 10 bucks more to have English speaking people and 4 day shipping.

So In the event both of those orders come, I'll have three of these and a buddy of mine will take one off my hands. I did want two, one black and one silver. He will just give me the 40 I paid for one and I won't have to go through the hassle of selling it online. No worries from me, if they don't actually come PayPal has my back.

Reactions: 100%VG

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
Agreed. I have been chain vaping mine around 60-90 watts playing with a new coil setup and no warmth at all.

The one I got yesterday was from cheap drips on eBay. After not getting shipment notifications from the two places in China I ordered from I ordered through eBay for 12 bucks more. So go figure, I started the claims yesterday and today vaporizer distributor emails me and says basically we are sorry for the delay, they basically didn't get enough in their shipment so I took a back seat. He sent me a tracking number which is showing origin post preparing shipment. I'm not closing the claim until I get it though, took almost two full weeks to just get that shipment status and I know I won't have it for another two weeks.

The other place I went through was 3fVape and they have done nothing but dodge my emails as well so I did a claim for that too. I'm done with China minus fast tech from now on this point forward. I'll spend the 10 bucks more to have English speaking people and 4 day shipping.

So In the event both of those orders come, I'll have three of these and a buddy of mine will take one off my hands. I did want two, one black and one silver. He will just give me the 40 I paid for one and I won't have to go through the hassle of selling it online. No worries from me, if they don't actually come PayPal has my back.
I just saw tonight on my tracking app the same preparing shipment update as well. I saw a vendor on Amazon selling for $42 and was about to order from there since I have an Amazon gift card but, since the update in shipping and the time difference I'm sure if I try to cancel the order they will tell me it has already shipped out and I would have to go through the hastle of sending back and such. I too am done with China with the exception of efun.top where I got my VTC mini. They were pretty fast shipping for a pre-order from China.

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI
A 25 will fit, but will overhang the side. Basically the width of the mod will work as a 22-23mm rda has room on each side, but the edge of the mod (the fire button sides) the 22MM rda goes right to the edge. So while it fits one way it does not fit the other.. They needed to move the 510 inwards like 3mm and it would have been perfect.

Eyesore, yes Efun was also good to me for my Rx200. I forgot to mention them. So them and FT and that is it. Go figure, my order from 3F also is showing tracking working now. So it took 2 weeks and claims to be started for them to actually ship. What a shame.

Reactions: Joshd09

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
A 25 will fit, but will overhang the side. Basically the width of the mod will work as a 22-23mm rda has room on each side, but the edge of the mod (the fire button sides) the 22MM rda goes right to the edge. So while it fits one way it does not fit the other.. They needed to move the 510 inwards like 3mm and it would have been perfect.

Eyesore, yes Efun was also good to me for my Rx200. I forgot to mention them. So them and FT and that is it. Go figure, my order from 3F also is showing tracking working now. So it took 2 weeks and claims to be started for them to actually ship. What a shame.
In their defense I'm sure Joyetech did indeed short them on their initial orders. You can't ship what you don't have, but you can and should notify your customers who are waiting that you were shorted on your initial order in a timely manner and that you printed their shipping notices in anticipation of a delivery that never came. They didn't do that, and that I take issue with.

In that respect I can't blame you for not wanting to do business in the future. I would let them know that by sending a quick email though so at least they have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes!

Reactions: Tim Jenson

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country

It really is a shame. When I ordered mine virtually no one had them in stock. I was going to order from efun again but I saw someone on here mention Vaporiser distributer and no shipping fee so I was swayed and ordered from them because they showed them in stock. If I had ordered from efun, I'd be vaping on it now.

Reactions: PapaGeno21

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
In their defense I'm sure Joyetech did indeed short them on their initial orders. You can't ship what you don't have, but you can and should notify your customers who are waiting that you were shorted on your initial order in a timely manner and that you printed their shipping notices in anticipation of a delivery that never came. They didn't do that, and that I take issue with.

In that respect I can't blame you for not wanting to do business in the future. I would let them know that by sending a quick email though so at least they have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes!
That is EXACTLY my point. I did get an email after sending them one but, after 3 days of no updates after my email from them I sent another telling them if I didn't get some sort of correspondence shortly that I would contact Pay-Pal about getting my money back. After 3 days I got an update from my tracking app that "shipment is being prepared by shipper" and there have been no updates to that for a little over 30 hours. No email in response to my email.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
This may have been covered somewhere in the article, but will this mod accommodate a 25 mm wide rda?
I don't have a 25mm tank, but I marked a piece of paper at 25mm and folder it in half, then marked the center. I aligned the center mark with the center of the plus pin on the Cuboid. There would be a 1mm hangover. A 23mm tank would fit flush with the USB Port side.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Joshd09

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Charging two 18650s in the Cuboid via USB takes a looooooong time. I'm charging using a PC USB Port. I started late yesterday, but I think the charge stopped when I turned off the PC. I was surprised to see how low both batteries were when I turned on the PC today and checked. The charge is almost complete now.

It will not stay in the display mode that shows the Charge Levels while charging (with it turned Off) any longer than it does when not charging, but it does charge both batteries evenly. I checked periodically and the largest difference I saw between the two was only 0.04V, so I consider that to be a pretty precise balanced charge. The "Imbalanced Batteries" message will not show until there is a 0.3V difference.

It's still charging via USB, but it's getting warm just sitting there on charge, with no tank on it. I wish I had a way to measure the temperatures at different times and situations. I don't think this should be happening during charge, especially not at this slow charge rate. It's not Hot or uncomfortably warm, but this concerns me. When the charge has completed, I will post the charge levels of both batteries. I figured it would be slow.

I'll be charging the batteries externally now, but it's nice to know that USB charging is done with a pretty good Balancer when charging via USB is needed.

Does anyone know how good a 0.04V difference is while charging?

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
... but it's nice to know that USB charging is done with a pretty good Balancer when charging via USB is needed.
The fact that these two cells charged evenly is not indicative of a "pretty good balancer", or even that there is any balanced charger at all. It indicated two well-matched cells. The two cells in the circuit will always attempt to equalize their charge during charging or discharging unless the system isolates them. They are not isolated in this mod (the connection between the cells is the conductor on the battery door), and there is no balanced charger without independent connections.

Problems occur when there is one sub-standard cell. The stronger cell will discharge in an attempt to charge the weaker cell and reach an equilibrium. If there is a great difference between the two, the stronger cell may discharge quickly causing a high drain overheat situation.

Last edited:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Well, the final charge showed 4.17V (top) and 4.20V (bottom). I noticed that the levels during charge got to 4.16V and 4.21V. I thought it might overcharge, but I let it run. After seeing the first reading of a final charge at 4.17V and 4.20V, I swapped battery positions and checked again. This time it showed 4.15V and 4.21V.

Checking the charges with a Voltmeter, I get 4.08V on each one. I put them in my 18650 Charger to see what would happen. They both were low enough to take a charge. One only charged for less that a minute, but the other stayed on charge for quite a while. The Voltmeter reading after the external charging was

Another pair of fully charged batteries showed 4.21V and 4.26V, and reversed they showed 4.20V and 4.27V.

So on one set, the Cuboid shows:
.Top ....... Bottom.
4.17V and 4.20V - One way
4.15V and 4.21V - Swapped positions
In series, that would be:
8.37V (One way)
8.36V (Swapped positions)

x
My Voltmeter Readings:
Separately:

4.08V on each one (They were the same! :?:)
After external charger:
4.12V on each one
X
They were charged in a fairly new Efest LUC S2, 2-Bay Charger.
The slight undercharge is actually good for extending battery life, and very good for INR and NCM batteries.
INR and NCM are the same technology/chemistry, and they should only be charged up to 4.10V. A charge of 4.20V will decrease the expected battery life of 800 charge cycles to about 300.

On another set, the Cuboid shows: (These two have always been charged externally)
.Top ....... Bottom.
4.21V and 4.26V - One way
4.20V and 4.27V - Swapped positions
In series, that would be:
8.47V (One way) and
8.47V (Swapped positions)
x
My Voltmeter Readings:
Separately:

4.13V on each one . :?: Neither one is 4.20V or above!!!

So the Cuboid's Voltage Level Readings don't seem to indicate the two battery's charge levels correctly, and because of that, the battery bar charge levels do not display correctly. One often looks lower than that other.

My Cuboid seems to charge each battery to about 4.1V (which is fine), but it does not display the charge levels correctly. And USB charging took a very long time (most of a day). Considering that my Cuboid is in question because of heating up during use at reasonable power and temp settings, and also during USB charging, and this voltage level reading thing, I wonder if anyone else would be willing to duplicate this procedure and post their results. My Cuboid works very well while vaping, but there are things that don't seem right.

Thanks in advance,

VG

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
The fact that these two cells charged evenly is not indicative of a "pretty good balancer", or even that there is any balanced charger at all. It indicated two well-matched cells. The two cells in the circuit will always attempt to equalize their charge during charging or discharging unless the system isolates them. They are not isolated in this mod (the connection between the cells is the conductor on the battery door), and there is no balanced charger without independent connections.

Problems occur when there is one sub-standard cell. The stronger cell will discharge in an attempt to charge the weaker cell and reach an equilibrium. If there is a great difference between the two, the stronger cell may discharge quickly causing a high drain overheat situation.
The two charge levels are monitored, and I do see a connection from the battery door. There is a small spring-loaded pin that contacts the +/- battery connection when the door is closed. This would be the "independent connection" used for balanced charging.

Reactions: DRTMI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread