The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Joyetech Cuboid 150 watt

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by Btsmokincat, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Btsmokincat

Btsmokincat Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    • Like Like x 3
  2. spalife

spalife Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 13, 2014
    It appears to utilize the same eVic VTC Mini Firmware (3.0).

A different form factor then vtc mini but price is tempting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    I'm really liking the size: 42 X 91 X 28. For a dual 18650 that is tiny. I love my EVIC VTC Mini so having similar software and interface is awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  4. AtmizrOpin

AtmizrOpin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    that's a wicked pissa

• Like Like x 1
  5. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is there any info on what the price point might be?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

6. Btsmokincat

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I've been wanting a two cell mod with temp control. This may be it. I'm aware of the serial vs paralell battery arrangements. Apparently to get higher power like 150 watts the batteries have to be wired serially. I never go above 40 max watts in TC mode so paralell would be fine. Does anyone know the tradeoffs better than I do? Is paralell safer or easier on betteries or give longer endurance?

I like that it will go as high as 1.5 ohm resistance in TC mode. My understanding is the higher the resistance the more efficiently power is turned into heat. What I'm looking for in a 2 cell mod is endurance, not higher power.

The other interesting feature is using stainless wire. Do I have it right that a stainless build can be run in either TC or watts mode?

8. Croak

Croak Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2012
    Right behind you...
    Dual series mods can give excellent battery life, nearly as good as dual parallel at your wattage range, and definitely better than a single 18650 at the same wattage. And yes, stainless can be run in either mode, hence the appeal.

9. sofarsogood

Oct 12, 2014
    If stainless works in watts mode what's the advantage of kanthal in watts mode?

10. coilburner

coilburner Account closed on request ECF Veteran

Jul 3, 2015
    That battery door looks like a reason not to buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Croak

Nov 13, 2012
    Right behind you...
    Kanthal has a higher resistance, which can be advantageous depending on your build goals. Stainless gets less and less practical the higher resistance you're shooting for.

Just to cite your 1.5 ohm example from above, 28ga 316SS would need 16 wraps on a 2.5mm rod to do what you can do with 28ga Kanthal with 8 wraps. Provided you could even fit a 16 wrap coil in your atomizer of choice, to get the same heat flux on the two, you'd need 32 watts on the stainless build, 17 watts on the Kanthal build, and the Kanthal build would heat up and cool down almost twice as fast.

But lets say you're just worried about fitting an 8 wrap build in your atomizer and weren't concerned about keeping your resistance high. You'd have a 0.8 ohm SS316 build that had the same heat flux and heat capacity as the 8 wrap 1.5 ohm Kanthal build at the same wattage (give or take).

With regulated mods, other than some irrational fear of "sub-ohming", SS can be made to work just as well as Kanthal in most cases, if you build for space/size rather than resistance readings. With mech mods, it becomes more of a problem material since you rely on the coil itself as the only real control of how much voltage you'll apply.

• Like Like x 7
  12. jstrong

jstrong Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2014
    Virginia
    Stop posting these lovely dual temp control mods, Geez! I just got married in October and at the rate I have been buying devices I won't be married by next October. :lol: Enablers you are. I bought a VTC Mini, Then a VS DNA 200, Then 2 SX Mini ML Classes, A iStick 100 for cheap power, 3 IPV D3's, IPV 3 Li, A VT200, A Reuleaux RX200 and DNA 200 and maybe a few more plus a few RTA's like the Crius, Griffin and some other stuff. Thank God my wife and I don't have a joint checking account. This just got added to to list along with the new Sigelei Touchscreen 150 and a Sigelei TC Plus so I can have a 26650. I am now officially spending $50 more to get this. :thumbs: Besides my vape habit I have a shave gear habit as well. I don't know which is more expensive the vape stuff or all my scuttles, shave brushes, razors, creams, soaps and aftershaves. I have one shaving brush that is a limited edition that I paid almost $500 for and a vintage Gillette Fatboy that was still new in the box that I shelled out $600 for just to shave my face :D I haven't even used it. I am too scared to take it out of the box. and ruin it. Between this forum and the Badger and Blade Forum I am gonna be in a poor house at some point.

• Like Like x 4
  13. spalife

spalife Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 13, 2014

5 Stages of ...........

impulsion - (i know what i need and i need that)
    compulsion - (just do it....done)
    passion - (i have to ...something in me tell's me so)
    confusion - (damn if i do...damn if i don't....should i)
    confession - (i did it)

(the rare enlightened 6th Stage)

Acceptance - (this is me...me i am)

What's your interpretation :blink:

• Like Like x 4
  14. Phassat

Phassat Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Wish to see this side by side with the vtc mini... Vtc mini has been great for me

• Like Like x 2
  15. jstrong

jstrong Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2014
    Virginia
    A
    All the above

16. sofarsogood

Oct 12, 2014
    The main question I have about this device is the tradeoff or compromise, if any, that's created by wiring in serial instead of paralell. Is the serial wiring less efficient at the lower powers I vape? The only pupose I have for having a two cell mod is two have twice the endurance compared to a single cell mod.

17. Croak

Nov 13, 2012
    Right behind you...
    We answered this already, but stand by for some math.

In terms of watt hours compared to a parallel, it's the same with the same batteries.
    Lets say a pair of 3000mAh LG HG2 are used.

In the series mod you add the nominal voltage of each battery (in this case 3.7 each), and then multiply that by the mAh of a single battery, then divide by 1000

In a parallel mod, you use the nominal voltage of a single battery, then multiply that by the total mAh of all the batteries in parallel, and then again divide by 1000.

So, two batteries in series: 7.4 volts *3000mAH /1000 = 22.2 Watt Hours
    Two batteries in parallel: 3.7 volts * 6000mAh /1000 = 22.2 Watt Hours.
    And for comparison, a single: 3.7 volts * 3000mAh /1000 = 11.1 Watt Hours (no surprise there!)

Now, how you USE those 22.2 Watt Hours is what matters, and in your case, at under 40 watts, you won't see but maybe a few puffs difference in longevity between a series or parallel dual 18650 setup, all else being equal. There's some efficiency issues that can effect either configuration depending on how they're set, but a good rule of thumb is that its more efficient to buck (reduce voltage) than it is to boost voltage.

• Like Like x 3
  18. NHXJer

NHXJer Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2013
    United States
    Gah!
    Why Joyetech do you do this to me?!
    I thought I had finally found my go to device with the VTC Mini, but now a dual 18650 150W device with all the software features (assumedly) of the Mini in a only marginally larger package?

Oh - my wallet - it burns!

• Like Like x 2
  19. sofarsogood

Oct 12, 2014
    This is just a few seconds but shows the device in someone's hand. It's predictably tall but won't be so bad with an rda. I'm sure I'll have one unless something else comes along before this one is available to buy. I hope there can be a silicone sleeve available.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CorallineAlgae

CorallineAlgae Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2014
    Washington, LA
    Oh, this one looks like it may be inevitable. I never preorder a new device without seeing a few reviews so I'll still wait a bit.

Edit to add: I'd love to get a tidy single 26650 mod with the Joyetech VTC Mini board. It needs to happen.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.