Joyetech eVic Primo Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsP0721

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Denton, TX
Someone here mentioned before that the mod was getting really hot from the charging port... is that still an issue, or what happened with that? I let my mom have one of mine, but decided to trade her for my al85 (since she's used to the Pico) and it's doing that. It gets really hot out of the charging port immediately after firing it.

Last edited:

chief63

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Oklahoma, United States
Someone here mentioned before that the mod was getting really hot from the charging port... is that still an issue, or what happened with that? I let my mom have one of mine, but decided to trade her for my AL85 (since she's used to the Pico) and it's doing that. It gets really hot out of the charging port immediately after firing it.

Yes I have a couple Primo Minis and one of them gets hot through the charging port when you fire it in power mode. Hot enough you say WTF. Note, this happens in power mode, but not in bypass mode. I don't do temp control so no idea how it acts in that mode. It also cuts out with a "weak battery" error with over 50% remaining. I binned it as unsafe.

MrsP0721

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Denton, TX
Yes I have a couple Primo Minis and one of them gets hot through the charging port when you fire it in power mode. Hot enough you say .... Note, this happens in power mode, but not in bypass mode. I don't do temp control so no idea how it acts in that mode. It also cuts out with a "weak battery" error with over 50% remaining. I binned it as unsafe.
Yea, mine would get warm right at first, but it wasn't anything that concerned me, just thought that was the way it worked, but then I got another one, then 2 other mods after, so I gave it to my mom to replace her very old Pico. When I got the AL85 I just didn't love it like I thought I would so I traded her and when I fired it, it was HOT! But only by the charging port. I haven't tried it in any other mode besides power, so idk if it would act differently. All I know is I won't be using it! I tried to return it, but it has already been over the 30 days to return to the place I got it. So I'm returning my P80 instead bc it's misfiring anyway and getting a new Primo Mini. I've bought FOUR mods in a month and a half and I can only use 1 at the moment lol.

Reactions: Letitia

Mydixadryl

Aug 12, 2017
I have two Primo Minis and one of them (purchased in April) started acting up. I get a "weak battery" warning with over half battery life left. This causes the mod to reduce its power output and it sucks. The mod also has hot air coming from the usb port so it is benched as probably unsafe. The other Primo (purchased in June) is working fine. I'm vaping single coil around 35 watts, LG HG2s, external charging. Nothing unusual. I've updated the firmware, swapped coils, tanks, batteries with the same result. I've seen one owner on Reddit and one on Fastech reporting the same symptoms. I think this same problem occasionally popped up on the last generation evics. I have two minis from Oct 2015 that still work fine. Hopefully its a rare lemon.

I made an account just to post a finding after scouring the internet in search of a solution to the same problem.

If the battery door is loose, it doesn't make good contact with the internals. My battery door is loose and has a gap between it and the mod, and when I fire it (using a 0.4 ohm coil @ 60 watts), it either gives me a "weak/low battery" and reads about 6 amps. When I press my thumb on the battery door so it closes completely, it fires hard and pulls around 11 amps.

The poor design of the battery door on this mod may be causing this issue. I'm hoping there's a way to reinforce the battery door so it closes properly.

In exchange for my scientific rigor and tireless efforts, I'd like anyone to recommend a better compact, single battery mod.

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I made an account just to post a finding after scouring the internet in search of a solution to the same problem.

If the battery door is loose, it doesn't make good contact with the internals. My battery door is loose and has a gap between it and the mod, and when I fire it (using a 0.4 ohm coil @ 60 watts), it either gives me a "weak/low battery" and reads about 6 amps. When I press my thumb on the battery door so it closes completely, it fires hard and pulls around 11 amps.

The poor design of the battery door on this mod may be causing this issue. I'm hoping there's a way to reinforce the battery door so it closes properly.

In exchange for my scientific rigor and tireless efforts, I'd like anyone to recommend a better compact, single battery mod.
Maybe try this one??? SINUOUS P80

Reactions: MrsP0721

MrsP0721

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Denton, TX

You may be onto something there! I'm not at home now but thinking about it, the one having issues does have a battery door isn't as snug as my other that works perfectly.

MrsP0721

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Denton, TX
The P80 is a great mod if you don't have issues with your hands (ie arthritis like myself) some have reported misfiring, but that doesn't really seem common. Mine misfires, although it could be my hand strength (or lack of), either way I'm sending it back to get another Primo Mini and hoping I don't have the same issue as my other one bc I love the mod, it's hard to beat!

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

Try cleaning the 3 spring loaded contacts on the door, and the 2 neg contacts on the mod.

Reactions: hittman

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York

Mine has the gap, I've seen the low bat warnings as well, but I've had other issues, the mod just going off on its own, then not being able to turn it on. As I began trying different batteries I then started to suspect the door and latch. Last time it would not turn on, I addded a lot of pressure, and it immediately turned on. So I believe you are right, many if not all these problems are related to the battery door. I got mine China cheap, mod only so it's not a big loss, just a shame as it's a nice mod for larger tanks and the TC is decent. At first I thought the battery latch was cool, but it's now just a huge negative, and since it makes my mod totally unreliable and fussy, it most likely will end up in the junk pile! And YES, the contacts are new and clean, the door and it's connections are needlessly over complicated, never an issue with the older, narrower, square Evic Mini's I own a bunch of those.

Reactions: MrsP0721

MrsP0721

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2014
    Denton, TX
    Mine has the gap, I've seen the low bat warnings as well, but I've had other issues, the mod just going off on its own, then not being able to turn it on. As I began trying different batteries I then started to suspect the door and latch. Last time it would not turn on, I addded a lot of pressure, and it immediately turned on. So I believe you are right, many if not all these problems are related to the battery door. I got mine China cheap, mod only so it's not a big loss, just a shame as it's a nice mod for larger tanks and the TC is decent. At first I thought the battery latch was cool, but it's now just a huge negative, and since it makes my mod totally unreliable and fussy, it most likely will end up in the junk pile! And YES, the contacts are new and clean, the door and it's connections are needlessly over complicated, never an issue with the older, narrower, square Evic Mini's I own a bunch of those.
    I know I sold my 2 eVic V2 Minis before buying these 2 Primo Minis

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Just got another LOW BATTERY message, voltage of 18650 is actually 4.0v. I tried playing with a suggestion I saw someplace of tightening the tiny screw you see next to the battery door hinge on the bottom of the device that's inline with the USB port on side. A T5 TORX driver worked best. I was able to tighten it just a bit, and low battery warning went away. Now go counter clockwise on same screw and device SHUTS OFF. So this screw also has an effect, not sure if it's a ground point, or what's its purpose is, but as I mentioned in my last post above, I had issues with this device just powering off on its own along with the other issues mentioned.

Working better so far, but probably too early to tell if this is actually a "fix" or not for either my odd intermittent shut offs as well as low battery warnings.

If you have the proper TORX T5 driver, give it a try, making the screw as tight as possible, and report back on your findings. I'm on firmware 6.06, which was from March 2017, since they have NOT updated it since then, it's either an isolated problem, not reported enough to Joyetech, or it's NOT fixable through firmware and will just be ignored or fixed in new hardware runs and thus hidden from early buyers like me, or ignored with newer models later on!

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Almost 2 weeks from my last post, and NO feedback. I waited long enough, as I'm sure folks are too busy to add their experience. So until more get back, I'll say I have NOT had ANY of the problems posted, and I had as well, after I made the adjustment mentioned in my previous post above. It was not my solution, just something I read and shared. If and when it may happen again, next time I'll add some loctite to those threads so it can't back out.

JuiceJug

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2013
    Canton,OH

JAC VAPOUR Series B DNA 75W...awesome mod

Reactions: dobroeutro

dOhoUCH

Sep 22, 2016
    Ireland,SSW
    Almost 2 weeks from my last post, and NO feedback. I waited long enough, as I'm sure folks are too busy to add their experience. So until more get back, I'll say I have NOT had ANY of the problems posted, and I had as well, after I made the adjustment mentioned in my previous post above. It was not my solution, just something I read and shared. If and when it may happen again, next time I'll add some loctite to those threads so it can't back out.
    Thanks for posting :thumbs: your solution.
    Have done same "screw tightening" , just yesterday, but does indeed seem to have positive affect. Tanks that didn't work are now working. :banana:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Has there been many having this issue with theirs?

"Many" is a hard thing to quantify. But my online searches found quite a few with these multiple issues. Seems logical if these screws were not fully tightened in the factory or loosened a bit in transit, symptoms could appear.

nate77

Apr 27, 2017
    Just got another LOW BATTERY message, voltage of 18650 is actually 4.0v. I tried playing with a suggestion I saw someplace of tightening the tiny screw you see next to the battery door hinge on the bottom of the device that's inline with the USB port on side. A T5 TORX driver worked best. I was able to tighten it just a bit, and low battery warning went away. Now go counter clockwise on same screw and device SHUTS OFF. So this screw also has an effect, not sure if it's a ground point, or what's its purpose is, but as I mentioned in my last post above, I had issues with this device just powering off on its own along with the other issues mentioned.

Working better so far, but probably too early to tell if this is actually a "fix" or not for either my odd intermittent shut offs as well as low battery warnings.

If you have the proper TORX T5 driver, give it a try, making the screw as tight as possible, and report back on your findings. I'm on firmware 6.06, which was from March 2017, since they have NOT updated it since then, it's either an isolated problem, not reported enough to Joyetech, or it's NOT fixable through firmware and will just be ignored or fixed in new hardware runs and thus hidden from early buyers like me, or ignored with newer models later on!

Thank you,

I was at half battery, getting the weak battery error, and only firing at 28 watts, when I had it set at 50. I first tried holding the battery door closed, that had no effect, then I tightened the screw, even though the screw didn't move much, it is now firing at 50 watts with no low battery error.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread