Just got some 7.2% over my hands :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
I was just thinking about their choice of bottles for shipping nic. I know that a full bottle is more likely to break than an empty one just because the physics are different in the shock wave pattern, but I've dropped an 8oz and a 2oz Boston Round in the porcelain sink in our kitchen with nary a chip, much less a shatter. They were lighter and able to bounce. That's happened twice over time when I had wet hands.

They must be using cheaper glass bottles and probably need to know that two of yours broke inside bubble wrap in a cardboard box that wasn't smashed. Maybe saving a few pennies on bottles isn't good for their reputation with shippers.
Two of what eventually ended up being 16 bottles broke during shipping, so that initial breakage seems to have been the exception instead of the rule.

I don't think it was an issue of cheap bottles...NN's armor V2 is vacuum sealed with Argon, so the bottle has a higher level (EDIT: or should I say "lower level"?) of internal pressure. This probably made the bottles more likely to break.

You can be sure the vendor knew!!! :shock:

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Two of what eventually ended up being 16 bottles broke during shipping, so that initial breakage seems to have been the exception instead of the rule.

I don't think it was an issue of cheap bottles...NN's armor V2 is vacuum sealed with Argon, so the bottle has a higher level (EDIT: or should I say "lower level"?) of internal pressure. This probably made the bottles more likely to break.

You can be sure the vendor knew!!! :shock:

Well, there are bubble wrap envelopes with pull off tape seal flaps that wouldn't cost that much to use. Amazon sells those for a dime apiece (100 for $10). Bought in quantity they'd probably get them for half of that and save a lot of grief with customers and the USPS.

I'm betting that most USPS delivery people would write up a leaking package report with the sender's name at the top. They don't want that to happen.

Reactions: dcdozer

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
Well, there are bubble wrap envelopes with pull off tape seal flaps that wouldn't cost that much to use. Amazon sells those for a dime apiece (100 for $10). Bought in quantity they'd probably get them for half of that and save a lot of grief with customers and the USPS.

I'm betting that most USPS delivery people would write up a leaking package report with the sender's name at the top. They don't want that to happen.
It was packed pretty well with bubble wrap and completely sealed in an envelope like you mentioned. Not sure how the liquid made it out. The packaging looked solid, but it didn't work.

I'm also now remembering that for a while there we had an extremely grumpy mailman that would yell and curse and slam stuff around as he dropped off mail. (He didn't last long thankfully). He might have been the guy at the time and he may have slammed the package down when he dropped it off...

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    really? i've never had any splash in eye.. but now you've got me thinking...
    just normal goggles?
    Goggles or safety glasses would work. I wear glasses, so don't have to think about it.
    I've got some on the hands and just rinse it off, not so easy if you get it in the eye.

Reactions: Vesh

kiba

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2012
    Alexandria, Va, USA
    www.facebook.com
    Yeah I get 100mg/ml on my hands all the time while diy'ing, you get used to it after a while, your tolerance should be up from vaping it & you should be fine.

The real thing you have to watch is that it doesn't get on someone you care about who doesn't vape... just make sure you don't spill any on the floor or anything esp if you have pets. If you do, clean it up immediately.

go_player

ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    do you guys think the disposable latex powder free gloves are enough to protect hands from 100 mg when mixing?

Different people exhibit very different sensitivities to nicotine, so when it comes to routine incidental exposure in handling nic different people should probably take different precautions, and it's likely better to err on the side of caution.

That said, I've mostly stopped even wearing gloves when I mix (I tend to mix relatively small batches- if I were mixing liters at a time I would do things differently,) but I also cut my day-to-day mixing nic down to ~36 mg in fairly small containers. If you don't mix fairly high nic juice (I often do) you could cut your day-to-day stuff to significantly lower than that, and just be careful when cutting it. I started vaping with 24-32 mg juice, back in the days of bad equipment, and I have friends who vaped up to 48, so I have very few qualms about handling small volumes of nic at that concentration- it's just juice to me. YMMV.

The main thing to worry about, I think, is not a drop or two on the hands (which I would consider incidental, if not quite routine, exposure.) It's something going really wrong, like dumping a bottle of concentrated nic in your lap. Gloves won't help much in that case, and I'm guessing you won't be investing in or wearing a lab apron, so your best bet is to make sure that doesn't happen.

I'm not trying to discourage you from wearing gloves, or even goggles, btw. It can't hurt to be careful. But almost any gloves should be fine to protect you from a drop or two (and if you're careful even that should be rare- I mix by weight, and I pretty much never get anything noticeable on my hands. I wash my hands thoroughly after mixing, but that's mainly because I'm a bit paranoid about mixing and cats.)

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    It was packed pretty well with bubble wrap and completely sealed in an envelope like you mentioned. Not sure how the liquid made it out. The packaging looked solid, but it didn't work.

I'm also now remembering that for a while there we had an extremely grumpy mailman that would yell and curse and slam stuff around as he dropped off mail. (He didn't last long thankfully). He might have been the guy at the time and he may have slammed the package down when he dropped it off...

Maybe they turned him into a loader Monkey at the Post Office loading trucks.

giphy.gif

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    really? i've never had any splash in eye.. but now you've got me thinking...
    just normal goggles?

I wear a surgical rubber glove on my right hand, the one that handles the nic dropper. I wear my prescription glasses instead of the safety glasses I bought for DIY. I've heard that 100mg/ml nic is a painful thing to get in your eye. I wouldn't want to be able to describe that from experience.

Personally, I think that having a sink close by is a good thing for safety. It's just too easy to slide over and wash off whatever spills or drips. Occasionally, I'll drip a drop of nic or VG/PG down the side of the opening and it runs down the bottle. Having a sink is a good thing for that. I just cap it, wash it, dry it, and put it back on the scale.

I'll be transferring my liters of nic to 8oz glass soon. I need to look for some thick packing foam blocks that I can cut a round hole in to fit the 8oz bottles to prevent tip-over spills.

Last edited:

go_player

ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    I've heard that 100mg/ml nic is a painful thing to get in your eye. I wouldn't want to be able to describe that from experience.

I'd guess that it would be so, just from how it tastes. I've never gotten any juice of any kind in my eyes, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

When I was a bit younger I wound up putting in my contacts in really unclean conditions while camping at an outdoor festival. Something got between one and my eye, but it was a while before I realized it, and it took me a while to get back to our campsite to remove it. I thought all was fine, for a while, but later in the day my eye hurt more and more, until my friends eventually had to take me to the nearest ER (which was a long way away.)

It turns out that I had scratched the surface of my eye, and while it had healed over (eyes heal very quickly, I guess,) an infection had developed below its surface. I have experienced things that would probably rate higher on an objective pain scale (like having surgery to put my ankle back together,) but none that were quite as intolerable as that was. You can distance yourself from pain in your ankle in a way that you can't from pain in your eye.

So yeah, I imagine you should do whatever you have to to avoid getting juice in your eye ;).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I'd guess that it would be so, just from how it tastes. I've never gotten any juice of any kind in my eyes, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

When I was a bit younger I wound up putting in my contacts in really unclean conditions while camping at an outdoor festival. Something got between one and my eye, but it was a while before I realized it, and it took me a while to get back to our campsite to remove it. I thought all was fine, for a while, but later in the day my eye hurt more and more, until my friends eventually had to take me to the nearest ER (which was a long way away.)

It turns out that I had scratched the surface of my eye, and while it had healed over (eyes heal very quickly, I guess,) an infection had developed below its surface. I have experienced things that would probably rate higher on an objective pain scale (like having surgery to put my ankle back together,) but none that were quite as intolerable as that was. You can distance yourself from pain in your ankle in a way that you can't from pain in your eye.

So yeah, I imagine you should do whatever you have to to avoid getting juice in your eye ;).

I can identify with the eye discomfort. It's something that you can't ignore until it's gone. I tend to have dry eyes from allergies sometimes. When that happens I keep the lubricating eye drops close by.

I wouldn't want nic in the eye. Cleaning solvent was a bad experience the one time I slung a rag in the wrong direction.

Reactions: go_player

go_player

ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    I wouldn't want nic in the eye. Cleaning solvent was a bad experience the one time I slung a rag in the wrong direction.

Yep, have had very similar things happen. Not as bad as the infection, but definitely worth avoiding.

I also used to use a contact solution that involved hydrogen peroxide and a little platinum insert to catalyze it. Once or twice I had to unexpectedly put my lenses back in before the catalysis was complete, and... well, don't do that. Especially if you're not prepared to spend the next few hours in a completely darkened room. Even closing your eyes won't keep light that comes through your closed eyelids from being painful if you get enough hydrogen peroxide in your eyes.

Dunno though- I have a very set routine when I mix, and it would take a real catastrophe for anything to splash into my eyes (rubbing them might be a different story, but I've handled enough funny stuff to avoid that instinctively, my routine means that I pretty much never have much on my hands while mixing, and I day-to-day mix with stuff that's only twice as strong as some of what I vape and thus handle constantly...) I don't feel like eye protection is very necessary _for me_, with _my routine_, and _in the quantities I mix_.

But please note that I'm not giving safety advice here, I would take different precautions if any of the above variables changed, I am a bit of nutjob, and it's certainly better to be safe than sorry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread