Kanger Subtank Mini LEAKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I posted this on the big subtank mini thread but I think it was overshadowed by all the other questions on there.

Anyway I just got my subtank mini last night and using the 1.2 ohm OCC on my istick 30w it is leaking! It keeps leaking juice from the airflow control collar. At first I thought it was because I was running it at low wattages (12-15) to warm it up but today I've been running it from 19-22 watts and every time I take it out of my pocket there is juice seeping from the air holes or the collar seams. One time during the day I removed it from my mod and there was juice on top of my istick!

What is going on?? Has anyone else had this happen with theirs? I heard the original subtank had leaking issues but I thought this was fixed with the mini and nano...

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
So I cleaned out everything like you suggested, but I also switched to the RBA head, and no leaks so far. Thank God.

But I have a new issue:

On the 1.2 ohm OCC I was taking 5 sec draws and blowing clouds. Now using the prebuilt coil reading 0.6 ohms on my istick 30W, I blow decent clouds with 2 sec hits, but when I take a 5 sec draw, the vapor production is significantly LESS than with the 1.2 ohm OCC. What's going on?

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
The only time I had trouble with leaking is when I was getting dry hits and then trying to compensate for it by blocking the air holes and/or dry pulling. Results were I flooded the bottom chamber and then had juice leaking out around the afc. Not saying your doing this but it's possible, under normal use I've had no leaking.

Reactions: haleysdadda

Jockamo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Philadephia,PA,USA
I only use my 25mm with the RBA and have no leaking.

I do recall having some liquid come out the air hole with the replacement coils. They also spit and just didn't give an enjoyable experience. Only used them for a half a day before going to the RBA and been there ever since.

Liquid leaking through the air flow it has to be coming from one of two places. Either dripping from the coil itself or the seal on the bottom of the coil. If it's a large amount my guess would be the seal at the bottom. When you are having the problem, open the tank and see if the inside of the coil is full of liquid.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I only use my 25mm with the RBA and have no leaking.

I do recall having some liquid come out the air hole with the replacement coils. They also spit and just didn't give an enjoyable experience. Only used them for a half a day before going to the RBA and been there ever since.

Liquid leaking through the air flow it has to be coming from one of two places. Either dripping from the coil itself or the seal on the bottom of the coil. If it's a large amount my guess would be the seal at the bottom. When you are having the problem, open the tank and see if the inside of the coil is full of liquid.

Inside of the coil?

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
leaks are due to failed/missing gaskets, coil not screwed on correctly to base or bad coil gasket(more than likely ur issue) or vacum leak.
vacum leak test - turn afc ring to the closed position, no holes, try to drag on it and u shouldnt be able to get any air if u do one of the red seals are not functioning/missing/unaligned, glass is not seated properly etc

Last edited:

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
leaks are due to failed/missing gaskets, coil not screwed on correctly to base or bad coil gasket(more than likely ur issue) or vacum leak.
vacum leak test - turn afc ring to the closed position, no holes, try to drag on it and u shouldnt be able to get any air if u do one of the red seals are not functioning/missing/unaligned, glass is not seated properly etc

How do I know if I have a bad coil gasket? It doesn't happen all the time. Like I've been using the rba since last night with no problems so far.

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
How do I know if I have a bad coil gasket? It doesn't happen all the time. Like I've been using the rba since last night with no problems so far.

then that tells you the premade occ coils have a problem, u should have a 0.5 and 1.2m ohm occ coil, compare the base of the coil and see if the gaskets look the same.
arrow is pointing to coil gasket, if it doesnt seat properly to the base it will leak to ur air flow holes and 510 connection

occ_1coil.jpg

Last edited:
Have you discovered the reason?

Yes, I did find the reason. The O-Rings, while nice to look at, are substandard!! Why else would KangerTech US ("warranty" service provider) offer these for SALE on their websiteSubtank Parts - KangerTech US, LLC
rings.jpg . Let's see; bad O-rings, dissolving insulators, missing authentication server, & no shipping to Canada for replacement parts that I have to pay for!

I am less than impressed & have switched back to my Atlantis with the updated 5ml tank. I'll only use the SubTank when I have somewhere I can wash up afterwards. Problem is FAR MORE prevalent when using in a cold to warm situation; ie winter time in a lot of areas in North America. I have sent them a message indicating my disappointment in this purchase. I sure hope others let them know that their otherwise fabulous product, is less than satisfactory for some customers.

Here's a photo of my standard Kanger SubTank setup now. Do you like my tie?

20150206_150627_3.jpg

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
leaks from airhole would be:
coil gasket, theres 2 of them 1 at coil base and 1 at the top chimney hole
coil not screwed in correctly
debris where bottom coil gasket meets base
defective base and or defective coil head
bad wick or wick pushed too far past the wicking holes
flooding for whatever reason like over priming

bad red seals wouldnt cause leaks coming from within air holes

Last edited:

Jockamo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Philadephia,PA,USA
I'll preface this by saying I have only had the mini for a couple hours and here are my observations on the leaking.

I put in the 1.2 coil, filled and within 10 minutes it was leaking around the AFC. After rinsing and drying the base I reinstalled the same coil but this time tightened it way more then I would normally. Probably another 1/4 turn. it's been about an hour now and not a drop has leaked. So my guess is it's leaking around the gasket at the base of the coil. More time is needed to be sure but it seems to have solved it.

Reactions: teddytoons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread