Status
Not open for further replies.

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
Hey everyone I'm about to join the subtank mini family. so far I've been using a gs-air ms tank that's been working great for me so far but I wanted to change things up a little bit and I've started to get into rebuilding so I went ahead and ordered a mini v2 for my birthday a couple days ago. Just gotta wait for that mail man to bring me my present. :)

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Hey everyone I'm about to join the subtank mini family. so far I've been using a gs-air ms tank that's been working great for me so far but I wanted to change things up a little bit and I've started to get into rebuilding so I went ahead and ordered a mini v2 for my birthday a couple days ago. Just gotta wait for that mail man to bring me my present. :)

Hope to see you back here with a review on your new toy.:thumb: All I use is the rba section....never liked the occ coilheads. I have found the wicking the coil very heavy is the key to running at more than 20w. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you. Welcome to the thread.

Cig

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
Was that with the v1 or v2? I ended up getting the v2 version.

I just got it in the mail yesterday but I didn't get a chance to take a look and fire it up today for a little while before work and then I left it at home and a prize to come home to haha.

But so far I'm loving the thing...except what I've heard comes with every sub ohm tank ever made and that's that I'm literally drinking the juice with this thing. In 5-6 hours I was using it I had already blown through 10+ mls of juice. I remember the early days with my ego setups thinking if I went through 2mls in a day it was a lot.

I haven't had a chance to mess with the rebuildable section yet but the taste off the .5 ohm vertical coil is great for me right around 35-40 watts with the slyerthin juice from vape wild at 3mg. It's making me even look more forward to rebuilding the rba to see what I can get out of that. That'll probably be on my agenda for tomorrow after getting my stitches out. :headbang:

Reactions: cigatron
Hey guys, I need some veteran help. I purchased the stock coils Kangertech provides to use on the RBA deck. Yesterday after wicking, my subtank was ever so slightly spitting. Because I wanted to master the tank, I rewicked only to find my subtank was spitting horrendously. I researched countless threads and forums to no avail. I just went through 20ml of juice today experimenting with my wicking. To make matters worse, I tried the 0.5 ohm occ coil for the fun of it and it vapes beautifully. No popping or spitting whatsoever. ARG! This made me want to get my RBA to vape like this even more. As a last effort, I come to you. Help!

P.S: the stock coils to use in the RBA measured out too 2.5mm. Does anyone know what guage it is as well? Thanks in advance

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Was that with the v1 or v2? I ended up getting the v2 version.

I just got it in the mail yesterday but I didn't get a chance to take a look and fire it up today for a little while before work and then I left it at home and a prize to come home to haha.

But so far I'm loving the thing...except what I've heard comes with every sub ohm tank ever made and that's that I'm literally drinking the juice with this thing. In 5-6 hours I was using it I had already blown through 10+ mls of juice. I remember the early days with my ego setups thinking if I went through 2mls in a day it was a lot.

I haven't had a chance to mess with the rebuildable section yet but the taste off the .5 ohm vertical coil is great for me right around 35-40 watts with the slyerthin juice from vape wild at 3mg. It's making me even look more forward to rebuilding the rba to see what I can get out of that. That'll probably be on my agenda for tomorrow after getting my stitches out. :headbang:

All my STminis have the V1 rba. Flavor is great on the rbas.

Hey guys, I need some veteran help. I purchased the stock coils Kangertech provides to use on the RBA deck. Yesterday after wicking, my subtank was ever so slightly spitting. Because I wanted to master the tank, I rewicked only to find my subtank was spitting horrendously. I researched countless threads and forums to no avail. I just went through 20ml of juice today experimenting with my wicking. To make matters worse, I tried the 0.5 ohm occ coil for the fun of it and it vapes beautifully. No popping or spitting whatsoever. ARG! This made me want to get my RBA to vape like this even more. As a last effort, I come to you. Help!

P.S: the stock coils to use in the RBA measured out too 2.5mm. Does anyone know what guage it is as well? Thanks in advance

As Vincom said, you're probably underwicked. As far as kanthal coils for the rba I prefer twisted 28ga wrapped 6 times around a 6-32 machine screw for a perfectly spaced 2.78mm ID coil. They rock at 30w with 75vg juice.

The stock rba coils are some sort of china nichrome variant.

Reactions: David Wolf

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Underwocked. Hm, I have been wicking so heavily that the coil itself moves while i am gorcing the cotton inside the coil. I am beginning to think that overwicking is leading to too much saturation. My theory is that there is excess liquid in the chamber leading to the spitting..

So how much is too much? For my V1 rba I roll the cotton down fairly firm and start it through the coil by rolling the end of the wick down tight to a needle, then I grab BOTH ends of the wick and pull in opposite directions so that the wick shrinks in diameter while sliding it in. That's the only way I've found to get enough in there. This is just to get enough in the coil itself....I don't know how much wick the V2 needs outside the coil but inside all coils need a lot. Chunky wicking like this makes juice transport quicker into the coil and also can offset bad coil symmetry/uniformity; within reason. Speaking of that, bad coil symmetry can cause burny hits too.

When wicking IS heavy enough and coil symmetry IS good spitting can often be fixed with wattage increase and/or lightening your draw effort and/or selecting a larger airflow setting. So yes, spitting is related to oversaturating/flooding of the coil but most times it's only one section of the coil that's too wet.

In general I've found that the better coil symmetry I achieve the less wick required. Still, even with perfect symmetry I wick all my coils heavy....the wicks last MUCH longer that way as the coil heat tries to break them down. Chunky wicking also allows for higher wattage and airflow settings due to better juice transport which brings on the flavor in a big kinda way.

Last edited:

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
So I've managed to run into a problem with my mini. I guess the last time I refilled it I tightened down the base a little too much and I went to refill it and I couldn't get the base to budge at all.

I tried already tried a pair of pliers with a shirt between them but it just seemed to move the airflow ring around. Any suggestions?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
So I've managed to run into a problem with my mini. I guess the last time I refilled it I tightened down the base a little too much and I went to refill it and I couldn't get the base to budge at all.

I tried already tried a pair of pliers with a shirt between them but it just seemed to move the airflow ring around. Any suggestions?

You'll have to grab the area of the base just below the afc ring with your pliers. Not the small threaded 510 connector though. Good luck cj.

Last edited:

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
You'll have to grab the area of the base just below the afc ring with your pliers. Not the small threaded 510 connector though. Good luck cj.
Yeah I was having an issue with the pliers just sliding off even with a shirt but I managed to get it after sticking it in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then using a paper towel and I felt it open up pretty quick.

So how much is too much? For my V1 rba I roll the cotton down fairly firm and start it through the coil by rolling the end of the wick down tight to a needle, then I grab BOTH ends of the wick and pull in opposite directions so that the wick shrinks in diameter while sliding it in. That's the only way I've found to get enough in there. This is just to get enough in the coil itself....I don't know how much wick the V2 needs outside the coil but inside all coils need a lot. Chunky wicking like this makes juice transport quicker into the coil and also can offset bad coil symmetry/uniformity; within reason. Speaking of that, bad coil symmetry can cause burny hits too.

When wicking IS heavy enough and coil symmetry IS good spitting can often be fixed with wattage increase and/or lightening your draw effort and/or selecting a larger airflow setting. So yes, spitting is related to oversaturating/flooding of the coil but most times it's only one section of the coil that's too wet.

In general I've found that the better coil symmetry I achieve the less wick required. Still, even with perfect symmetry I wick all my coils heavy....the wicks last MUCH longer that way as the coil heat tries to break them down. Chunky wicking also allows for higher wattage and airflow settings due to better juice transport which brings on the flavor in a big kinda way.

Cigatron, thanks for your advice. I wicked my coil as densely as I could. The pull/drag is tighter, however. I think I found a great solution to the spitting. Along with heavier wicking, I eliminated the spitting by making sure none of the cotton was touching the legs of the coil. I think that this was the source of the spitting! No dry hits, no spitting, and a clean driptip for me! Thanks

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Can you make a coil that is 2.5 ohm like the protank II? or is there some reason that would be a bad idea on a subtank mini?

The goal is a cool vape and not use too much e-juice.
What is your current setup? How many watts are you currently vaping at? Are you a mouth-to-lung hitter or direct lung hitter?

letmein

Jan 11, 2014
Yes
What is your current setup? How many watts are you currently vaping at? Are you a mouth-to-lung hitter or direct lung hitter?

Its for my mom and dad. They are using a istick 30W and vamo v2. They istick is vaping at lowest possible wattage (usually around 3,6) and vamo at 4.5 wattage. They are using 2.5 coils, but I want to rebuild for them so I can use organic cotton instead of the store bought protank II coils.

Reason for trying as low temp as possible, is that they have been sick and I want to minimize the risk of getting something nasty. So I thought that high ohm and low wattage, would be the safest way to vape - is that correct?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Its for my mom and dad. They are using a istick 30W and vamo v2. They istick is vaping at lowest possible wattage (usually around 3,6) and vamo at 4.5 wattage. They are using 2.5 coils, but I want to rebuild for them so I can use organic cotton instead of the store bought protank II coils.

Reason for trying as low temp as possible, is that they have been sick and I want to minimize the risk of getting something nasty. So I thought that high ohm and low wattage, would be the safest way to vape - is that correct?

Gonna have to say stick with the protanks for wattages that low. The Subtank minis are going to flood at super low wattages like that with the occ heads and probably with the rba as well. They flow a lot more juice than Protanks with equal draw effort.

I ran my protanks at 8-10w with 1.8ohm rebuilds.....I didn't even realize a protank would make vapor at less than 5w....

Lots of good info here: Protank MicroCoil Discussion!! | E-Cigarette Forum on rebuilding protank heads and wicking with cotton. Tip: you can carefully remove the silica wick from the factory heads, dryburn the coil and replace the silica with cotton.

Good luck, Cig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread