Learning curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuild101

Oct 25, 2016
Hello Everyone. New member and vapor that quit smoking cigs for the past two months. As everyone (I think) I've made noob purchases, such as the Evo tube style MTL but have since moved to sub OHMs on various regulated mods; rx200s, pico mega and a Eleaf TC 100. My subohms consist of a TFV8, baby beast and a 22mm and 25 mm tobeco mini and super tank respectively.

Now, wanting more flavor and a better vape experience, I've since moved on wanting to learn more about RDAs/RDTA and tonight, I've attempted my first prebuilt dual coil build in a Tobeco Velocity V2 RDA (I have a few pics of my failed build). I purchased prebuilt Comp Wires called Hive Wire (.4mm, 26 gauge and I count 5 wraps per Coil) from a local B&M. The tube packaging says .2-.3 OHM per coil. Since the Velocity V2 had dual posts I was told to use two coils. I had a hell of a time trying to get both coils to sit somewhat evenly, as well as pulsate from the inner to outside coils wraps. Not only was I working with minimal tools, but I noticed that the eLeaf was getting extremely hot during pulsating. So hot that I took off the rda and put it on the rx200s, which also started to get hot. I wasn't able to pulsate while using tweezer because I dont yet have a pair of ceramic tweezers. I have several questions and I am trying to learn as I go. First, with the dual coil Hives, is it ok for my mods to be reading the resistance at .15 OHMs? I am totally lost at what wattage to set my mods at because I was getting worried at how hot the mods were getting and while trying to take my first vape on the build, I was unfortunately pierced and slightly burned by spitting ejuice. I am not sure why this was happening except that maybe I over dripped, used to little cottons (which was a pain in the .... to get through the coils in the first place), or running at to high of a wattage. Can someone help me with the build? I am awaiting a Coil Master V3 DIY kit for the appropriate tools but in the mean time I was hoping to get more educated. All help is EXTREMELY appreciated!

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
First, forget going with such low ohm coils, try to aim for at least 0.5 for now, so if if you're going with dual coils, get 1 ohm ones.

Alternative: Since you are starting, just go with a single coil instead. Get used to setting one coilup, getting the cotton right first, before moving to dual coils.

Second, lower your wattage to 30-40W if you're using higher than that (as you don't state what your settings are).... then increase by 5 watts until you reach a point of heat that works for you.

if it's spitting, your cotton isn't tight enough (so you probably need more) ... it needs to wick well, but be balanced at the same time. it shouldn't shed between the wraps either.

If you've dried-burned those coils too much, they'll be damaged.. I always try to get people to not dry burn as much as possible as the metal breaks down with such heating and you'll end up inhaling metal particles. (bad) but you can use a pair simply to practice first. as long as the two coils are the same, that they are at the same distance of the posts and that they heat the same, you should be fine.

Look up as many videos about building coils to help you, and strumming a coil can make a huge difference.

JBuild101

Oct 25, 2016
Thank you for the informative and speedy reply ImFallen_Angel! I will take your advice and shoot for a single coil build at .5. I was a little struck by the sales rep at my B&M shop when he said that I want more surface area and low OHMs. Currently, the dual coils, 5 wraps are reading on my eLeaf at .14 OHMs and I've started at 35 watts and have taken it up to 60 watts to get a nice warm vape. The volts have been around the sub 275-285 range. I've noticed that the vape is decent after a few drops of juice but after a few vapes the flavor on both inhale and exhale is VERY muted. I will wait for my tools and also the new pre built Wotofo 24/30 Clapton wire to arrive before trying another hive wrap build. I should have started off with a more easily coil build instead of this rather thick hive coil. Again I thank you all for your educated information and suggestions. I plan to watch more videos on building and safety when time allows. A+ forum!

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Thank you for the informative and speedy reply ImFallen_Angel! I will take your advice and shoot for a single coil build at .5. I was a little struck by the sales rep at my B&M shop when he said that I want more surface area and low OHMs. Currently, the dual coils, 5 wraps are reading on my eLeaf at .14 OHMs and I've started at 35 watts and have taken it up to 60 watts to get a nice warm vape. The volts have been around the sub 275-285 range. I've noticed that the vape is decent after a few drops of juice but after a few vapes the flavor on both inhale and exhale is VERY muted. I will wait for my tools and also the new pre built Wotofo 24/30 Clapton wire to arrive before trying another hive wrap build. I should have started off with a more easily coil build instead of this rather thick hive coil. Again I thank you all for your educated information and suggestions. I plan to watch more videos on building and safety when time allows. A+ forum!

No problem, the trouble is that there is actually so much variants, so much selection, etc.

And it's why I just recommend that you go as simple as possible to learn, and as you learn, you'll try new things and get them right, better than trying to jump into it blindly into advanced stuff, getting frustrated with it and just not getting it right.

There is no reason to aim for the lowest ohm possible, just as there's no reason to go for the highest wattage. Surface area depends on gauge and metal type... for example, you can get a smaller wire (higher gauge), which will have more wraps than a coat hanger thick wire, and surface area wise, it balances itself, the surface is about the same, but the coil heats up faster and more constant across than a thick wire that needs a lot of power and only heats up after a long ramp and only in the middle anyways.

With a dripper, you have to take care of not getting dry hits, this will not be pleasant and burn your wick (and your coil), so make sure you have lots of cotton in the well and top it off with liquid as much as it will hold. The goal is to have your cotton snug in the wrap, not too tight, but not loose, otherwise it doesn't make contact on the whole of the wraps and just won't be that great.

The coil doesn't have to be squeezed either, it needs to be balanced, so that it heats up as a whole as much as possible, it all depends on metal, gauge and built, this can make a lot of difference.

For tools, there isn't any that will make a huge difference, it's knowledge and practice that will. When I started, my tools were: a thick nail (3.36mm) that I buffed the edges soft and a notch in the head to hold the wire, a set of small screwdrivers, a pocket folding mini pliers, and nail clippers and was fine with this setup for months. I eventually got a jig set, a wire cutter and a tester, and still use all the original tools (aside the nail clipper which the wire cutter replaced).

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread