Leaving the pass through plugged in?

Discussion in 'Battery Issues' started by panderson01, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. panderson01

panderson01 Super Member ECF Veteran

2 part question:

1) Has anyone had any issues with leaving the whole unit, atomizer, cartridge and pass through plugged into the usb power source for extended periods, even over night?

2) Has anyone had any issues with leaving just the pass through only connected to the usb power source for extended periods, even over night?

I just got mine yesterday and would rather learn from other peoples mistakes instead of my own.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. ZambucaLu

ZambucaLu ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I never unplug mine....and leave it with all parts attached unless I am taking off the atomizer and cart to put on my stand alone pen. I've been using it since mid Nov.

But I'm sure others do it differently.

Lu

3. GabbyD

GabbyD Senior Member ECF Veteran

I'm afraid of the switch failing, which some here have reported. I am not electrically inclined so I'm not sure what the ramifications could be, but I figure I'm not going to risk my $800 Chinese product to a $15 Chinese product. LOL! There's no reason to not unplug it so that's what I do when I'm not sitting here.

4. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

I bought a USB portable power block for mine so I can vape anywhere with it and I never take it off unless I need to recharge the power block. I get 2 full days of heavy vaping with the usb battery block before the block needs recharging and a much stronger hit. Goodbye batterys!!

5. jimgman

jimgman Senior Member ECF Veteran

mines been plugged in straight for well over a week, and no problems, though the pc does shut down at night. i have that atomizer dedicated to the usb, so the whole thing hasnt been unplugged since i got it.id say it pretty safe. seems to me that it would be like saying you should unplug your keyboard and mouse every day:confused:

6. Sun Vaporer

The first time I used a USB passthough on my computer I got an error stating "USB Plug Overload" and quickly pulled it out--lucky no damage to my new computer--BUT no way was I going to try that again. That is why I ordered a USB Powerblock for 20 dollars. I know it has been stated on the forum that no reports of computers frying, but the passthough has no fuse in it and with the error message I got I am not risking it. Plus with the Power Block, I am not tethered to my computer for USB vaping.

7. nitewriter

nitewriter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I understand your concern Gabby

I have a passthrough too and I had it plugged into my computer till my USB portable power pack arrived. I disconnected it at night, using the "safely remove hardware" tab at the bottom of screen. After doing it the first time, the tab dissappeared.

I don't turn my comp. off every night (reboot) and it came back after I did, but I only use my portable or batteries from now on. I don't want to risk it either.

8. Ladycats

Ladycats Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I leave mine plugged in all night .. no problems, or error msgs .. nada ...

9. spike

spike Senior Member ECF Veteran

To start with I unplugged mine every night and anytime I was away from the pc, then I got lazy and have left it in since, battery alone or the whole unit. PC is switched off at night after around 12 hours use during the day. All OK thus far.

10. tribalmasters

tribalmasters Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Just keep her plugged in as you like! As long as the switch is fine there should be no problems and you can enjoy your ecig at all times ohhh yeaaa!

11. MikeMac

MikeMac Full Member

Peoples Republic of California - SF Bay Area
    I've had mine for a few days now. Though I have it plugged into a USB2.0 hub that has it's own power block. I can even shut down the computer and use it since the hub is always powered through it's own brick.

I would think that plugging it into your keyboard port (like on a Mac) or into the front or back of your PC could cause problems since there is a maximum power load it can handle. Which incidentally is why USB hubs come with power bricks.
    :thumb:

12. tribalmasters

tribalmasters Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I got mine and it made an unsatisfying vape, my USB ports only output 500ma but the atomiser likes to have twice that power. Luckily I found my old ipod mains charger, it plugs into the mains and provides an amp via its USB port, works perfect now! I'm waiting for my USB battery to arrive and had the idea of getting me a USB splitter cable to allow the power of 2 USB ports to power the ecig much like some portable hard drives use. I leave it plugged in and powered on all the time, I am sure the crusty old ipod charger doesn't care :)

13. MikeMac

MikeMac Full Member

OK, so I've been experimenting with my USB passthrough and reading all these posts about a USB Hub not having a minimum of 1 amp.

So, I sit at my desk all day long anyhow. I don't need it for the car or whatever. So I scrounged around my electronic components and found a power cube from some old router or drive or something (don't know what it came from). Nevertheless, I read that it puts out 5VDC @ 2.5amps! Sweeeeet!

So I proceeded to hack off the USB plug on the passthrough and directly wired it into the newly found power cube.:thumbs:

So now I plug into the wall and straight into my vaporizer with cartridge! It works GREAT!!

14. MikeMac

MikeMac Full Member

I just noticed. It does heat up a vaporizer real quick (all that power ya know). So I best not be constantly hitting on it. At least not too much.:p

I think it works maybe TOO good! NOT!

15. Sun Vaporer

Wow you must be getting a great hit--but I think that would fry any atomizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look out:confused:

16. SuperStack

SuperStack Super Member ECF Veteran

2.5 amps seems rather high, you may possibly end up frying your atomizers much sooner.

But if you wish to be a guinea pig, then let us know how it works out after using it a while :)

17. MikeMac

MikeMac Full Member

Oh ye of little faith! :rolleyes:

It hits strong and hasn't missed a beat. Been using it every minute or two since I last posted. Dripping 2 small drops every 10-15 minutes. This thing KICKS hiney!

This is too much fun! :shock:

Wait, I'm think I'm feeling a little whoooosey...:confused:

Just kidding! :D

I'll let you all know tomorrow how it goes.

18. Duncan

Duncan Full Member

If this will power the Janty Classic Kissbox, via the USB connector, I want one! Could some kind soul post a link to one, preferably in the UK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.