LG HB6s fried my alien?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Magnum

May 10, 2017
went to screw on a tank to my alien and the new coil ohm reading was way off. It should have been reading .4 but came up as .103. I unscrewed the tank and hit the fire button and the screen says ohm too low with no tank on it. screwed on a different tank that should ohm out at .5 ohms but it read at .115 ohms. I took it to a local brick and mortar store and the guy behind the counter said it was the batteries I was using (lg hb6's). He told me that they were strictly for flash lights and they had too high of and amp draw and it fried the board. I researched batteries and what I read said they were highly regarded as safe batteries. So is what the guy told me wrong and my alien just took a crap or was it my batteries?

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
went to screw on a tank to my alien and the new coil ohm reading was way off. It should have been reading .4 but came up as .103. I unscrewed the tank and hit the fire button and the screen says ohm too low with no tank on it. screwed on a different tank that should ohm out at .5 ohms but it read at .115 ohms. I took it to a local brick and mortar store and the guy behind the counter said it was the batteries I was using (lg hb6's). He told me that they were strictly for flash lights and they had too high of and amp draw and it fried the board. I researched batteries and what I read said they were highly regarded as safe batteries. So is what the guy told me wrong and my alien just took a crap or was it my batteries?

It may just be the mod's board. How long have you had the mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
You may have just gotten a defective board. I would contact Smok and let them know and see what they say. I haven't heard anything like this happening from the HB 6's. They may have been made for flashlights but do you think all the cells we use in our mods were made specifically for vaping? A lot of them were here before vaping was even a thing, we just found out that they would work for our purposes and then the manufacturers said hey we can make more money by selling these to vapers. I don't think it was the cells fault that your board fried. I think the "salesman" at the B&M you went to was just hoping to make a sale on a new mod and a new set of cells.

Reactions: Laura Miller

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
I agree with Wheelin, especially the first and last sentences. I used to work in a shop and the boss would push us to "diagnose" most issues other than obvious ones as needing a new complete setup. There is a warranty though, first through where you bought it if they have one, and then through the manufacturer.

I run LG HB6s (cream color) in my Predator, no problems. Honestly though I bought them for my mechs due to the amp rating.

Have you tried to "reset" it? The Aliens can be a bit wonky at times. With batteries in, no tank, press the fire button about 4 or 5 times. Then attach your tank, click fire button once to read. If that doesn't work, try leaving the batteries out for about 10 minutes then try again.

Is there any chance those attys aren't coiled as what you thought? Do they read ok on another mod?

Reactions: Wheelin247

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
Sounds to me like it could be the 510 shorting in the mod since both attys were similar readings.
Check the 510 and make sure there is movement up and down. It may have gotten stuck with a slight short.
You can also VERY GENTLY pull it up. If you got ohms too low with no attys, it is reading something. Or the board is gone as mentioned. Keep us in the loop on progress, my alien is fine with LG browns.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
He told me that they were strictly for flash lights and they had too high of and amp draw and it fried the board.

How long has that, ummm, individual been working in the industry? Because I'd sure hate to see what he does recommend as a safe battery.

Complain to the owner of the shop. If he's just as clueless as the employee, time to find another shop. It's obvious the board isn't fried (it still works, it just doesn't seem to provide the proper resistance ratings). It's more likely that the 510 connector isn't making proper contact or there's a build issue going on.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
He told me that they were strictly for flash lights and they had too high of and amp draw and it fried the board.
This individual has a fundamental misunderstanding of how batteries and electricity works, and has no place giving anyone advice.
The LG HB6 is a high performance 30 amp CDR battery suitable for mods with very high wattage requirements like Alien. Amps are pulled from the battery, they are not pushed. The advice you were given is the exact opposite of what you should have been given. Listen to the advice Retired1 gave you and avoid that shop.

Randy Magnum

May 10, 2017
thanks for all the replies. yeah what he was saying didnt make sense to me but im not an electrician so i just nodded in agreement. I'll try messing with the 510 connector and if that doesn't work I'll contact smok or the vendor. in the mean time I'll use this as an excuse to buy a new mod. so smoant battlestar, wismec predator, or get another alien in one of the sweet new colors?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I took it to a local brick and mortar store and the guy behind the counter said it was the batteries I was using (lg hb6's). He told me that they were strictly for flash lights and they had too high of and amp draw and it fried the board.
That's bull hockey, and you know it, and I know it. And either the guy at the shop knows it too, and is just trying to bend you over and screw you out of a little more of your hard-earned money, or else he has no business being on the other side of that counter. Either way, not someone I'd want to deal with again, and if you choose to take your business elsewhere in the future, be sure to let them know exactly who is the reason why.

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
thanks for all the replies. yeah what he was saying didnt make sense to me but im not an electrician so i just nodded in agreement. I'll try messing with the 510 connector and if that doesn't work I'll contact smok or the vendor. in the mean time I'll use this as an excuse to buy a new mod. so smoant battlestar, wismec predator, or get another alien in one of the sweet new colors?
Stay away from anything from Wismec.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA

On my RX300 I went to pop off the top cap and as I was lifting it off the atty along with the 510 popped out of the mod. Good thing I didn't pull any harder or the 510 would have broke right from the wire. I just pushed it back in and it seemed to work for a while until I was pulling off the top cap again (I forgot the 510 popped off before) and it came out again. I ended up flying it back in and haven't had an issue yet but i e heard Wismec has had other issues too.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Its not your batteries.

As stated above, the employee is an idiot, doesnt understand how a battery works, and has no business advising vapers.
I would avoid that store entirely.
They are just asking for a lawsuit.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
Lol. Did he also try to up-sell you some 4000mah 50amp Efest batteries. Stay clear of that local store.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Its not your batteries.

As stated above, the employee is an idiot, doesnt understand how a battery works, and has no business advising vapers.
I would avoid that store entirely.
They are just asking for a lawsuit.
What store is it, I have a bridge in New York to sell them.[emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
This is getting tiresome. Please, if you're going to warn people of Wismec (or any other brand) please elaborate. That way your posts can be informative rather than just confusing.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread