Looking to get my first vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Not wishing to start a massive bun fight, but lots of folk (like, millions) quit smoking using e-cigs without the need for <100+ watts vaping.
Part of me suspects the industry is beginning to lose all focus here and just go full throttle for devices that consume insane amounts of low nic liquid for the $$$.
Selling lots of it (liquid) with barely any nicotine seems like a win win for the juice people and a possible lose for the vaper.
I am sure the Alien will work out for the O.P. but 75w not being enough and 90w being the bar for attempting to quit smoking is kind of... well... I don't know. Not quite what we expect to hear really.
If the choice tomorrow was to either vape 1.0mg at 100+w or 12mg a 15w and there was no in between, I think I'd go with 12mg at 15w.

I'm sure @Sludge Van Diesel knows where I'm coming from on this.
Only yesterday I had a panic phone call from a vaper who has worked up to 80w and down to 1.5mg who has suddenly realized what they are doing in the UK.
Max bottle 10ml. Max tank 2ml. Max Nic 18mg. Plus price increase, then next year, tax too :eek:
So, he can't buy tanks from May 2017 and is already spending £11 ($13) per day on shop-bought e-liquid. He is a slave to the vaping industry (although he makes coils) worse than he was to the tobacco industry. We don't want to be slaves, do we? Really?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would say the only way to support a large subohm habit would be to rely on DIY. Anything else is simply too expensive for most folks.

I do believe there is always a middle ground to explore. I certainly started with a classic mtl approach, but now prefer an easier, airy draw. Not looking for room filling clouds, but a relaxing vape with excellent flavor. My power range is 25-35W (although really almost always in TC so actual power to the coil is lower) with a 6 mg juice which I DIY. It's a nice compromise spot for me, and I only use ~5 ml of juice a day, even with my lower ohm builds. We all need to find what works best for us. However, I absolutely agree that starting out the average smoker on a high power DL setup is unlikely to be successful. Of course there are always exceptions.

Reactions: djsvapour

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I did 35w dual coil for maybe a month. Now I do a single 5 wrap 26 awg 0.6 Ohm at 15w. Couldn't imagine quitting cigs with a TFV8, really needed that MTL feeling that I still crave today. I still use my above ohm EVODs almost as much as my RDA/RDTA/RTA's. Any above ohm MTL would work but for $4.44 it's hard to beat. You can just buy the batteries for like $2 and any 1.5 Ohm+ tank though. Aspire and Kanger have a bunch that use BVC like the Nautilus mini, K1, evod glass, protank 3 etc I just prefer the old SOCC because they are simple to rebuild.

Reactions: Eskie

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Well he said he was using his friends at 90w and it was satisfactory. So why would he go to 15w? However with the alien he can do 15w if he wants or he can do 220w. Not everyone is satisfied tootle puffing.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Yeah I was just adding to other comments. I'd be broke paying $20 for 4 coils and paying for all that juice at 90w with a TFV8. Need a good job or no life other then vaping to afford that. I'd go through probably 60ml/day. Also thats all he tried, at first he said his main goal was to quit not to fog up his house.

Hickok

Feb 21, 2017
Minneapolis
Not wishing to start a massive bun fight, but lots of folk (like, millions) quit smoking using e-cigs without the need for <100+ watts vaping.
Part of me suspects the industry is beginning to lose all focus here and just go full throttle for devices that consume insane amounts of low nic liquid for the $$$.
Selling lots of it (liquid) with barely any nicotine seems like a win win for the juice people and a possible lose for the vaper.
I am sure the Alien will work out for the O.P. but 75w not being enough and 90w being the bar for attempting to quit smoking is kind of... well... I don't know. Not quite what we expect to hear really.
If the choice tomorrow was to either vape 1.0mg at 100+w or 12mg a 15w and there was no in between, I think I'd go with 12mg at 15w.

I'm sure @Sludge Van Diesel knows where I'm coming from on this.
Only yesterday I had a panic phone call from a vaper who has worked up to 80w and down to 1.5mg who has suddenly realized what they are doing in the UK.
Max bottle 10ml. Max tank 2ml. Max Nic 18mg. Plus price increase, then next year, tax too :eek:
So, he can't buy tanks from May 2017 and is already spending £11 ($13) per day on shop-bought e-liquid. He is a slave to the vaping industry (although he makes coils) worse than he was to the tobacco industry. We don't want to be slaves, do we? Really?

What you're saying is true but I don't have to run it at 200w. It's kinda like the guy who goes out and buys a honda cbr1000 is he going to go 199 mph the entire time? It's just having the option.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
What you're saying is true but I don't have to run it at 200w. It's kinda like the guy who goes out and buys a honda cbr1000 is he going to go 199 mph the entire time? It's just having the option.
Yeah, I think we are just saying you'll probably want a smaller tank. Do you know what your friend had? TFV8 is a massive beast of a tank to start vaping with. It's popular and a great tank for massive clouds but it's like buying a Honda cbr1000 as your first motorcycle before learning to ride a bicycle. You have no option but to use high watts and gulp juice and chuck clouds with that tank, it has no small or MTL coils. Either way it wasn't a waste though even if it's to much now it's way cheaper to buy it in the kit then separately so down the road you'll have saved like $20+ when your ready for it.

Hickok

Feb 21, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, I think we are just saying you'll probably want a smaller tank. Do you know what your friend had? TFV8 is a massive beast of a tank to start vaping with. It's popular and a great tank for massive clouds but it's like buying a Honda cbr1000 as your first motorcycle before learning to ride a bicycle. You have no option but to use high watts and gulp juice and chuck clouds with that tank, it has no small or MTL coils. Either way it wasn't a waste though even if it's to much now it's way cheaper to buy it in the kit then separately so down the road you'll have saved like $20+ when your ready for it.
Yeah i'll just have to test it out I guess. I will keep you guys updated.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Well I got the smok alien and a 120ml bottle of boosted by boosted and I'm really enjoying it so far. Huge clouds and lots of flavor. It does drink ejuice but I think I can live with that at least for now. Thank you to everyone who posted.
Awesome, you should get the RBA section. Throw a couple fused claptons in that thing. Saves alot of money on coils.

Reactions: Hickok
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread