Madvapes 5v box losing voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkenmonk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Longview, WA USA
A few months ago I bought 2 5v box mods for family members. Yesterday I asked one of them how it was working and she said it was not and had never worked. I picked it up thinking it was something I might be able to fix. What happens is when no atty is present, the led burns bright and volts are reading. When I screw in an atomizer, any atomizer as I have several different brands and styles, and the button is pressed the led lights for half a second then goes dim. No voltage to the atty. I could see nothing wrong. I called my other relative to inquire about the other and she had not even tried to use it. I went and picked it up, and the same thing was happening. Because too much time has passed I can't return them. I have a cursory knowledge of soldering and have made a few mods myself, but these are a bit more complicated because of the led setup. Does any of you mod geniuses out there have any ideas or suggestions on how to fix these? Thanks in advance:confused:

P.S.
It is the color changing led mod with 2AA sized bats.

Last edited:

ericdjobs

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2011
Northern CA
Sounds like you might have a short, I'd check inside around the 510 connector... make sure that the center pin is insulated and there isn't anything touching... my best guess is a short

When I shorted my VV box on accident (picked up the wrong carto that had been shorted awhile ago) the same exact thing happened.. soon as I tried to fire it the ON LED immediately became very dim. I had to pull the batteries and put them back in.

Since it's not happening with no atomizer attached, try and visualize what the atomizer is moving around (center pin maybe?) to cause it to happen.. no idea otherwise

Oh, and try this.. when you screw in the carto/atomizer, screw it in until it JUST makes contact/becomes firm.. DO NOT FORCE IT TIGHT.. I had a boxmod that would short whenver i'd screw in the atty too hard, something to do with the center pin getting compressed.

Last edited:

drunkenmonk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Longview, WA USA
I think that I have figured it out. It seems that I've been buying dual coils for longer than I thought. It can't handle the duals but when I used my new ikenvape stealth it worked just fine. I have pretty much abandoned the box mod anyway. I now have the ego booster for my tornado batts and am very pleased with the setup. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread