Mod voltage vs. atomizer resistance questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I have some questions about atomizer resistance and mod voltage. I understand that a higher ohm rating means more electrical resistance, which means less heat from any given voltage. Lower ohm means less resistance, so more heat.

So is there any real difference in vapor using a low resistance atomizer with a standard 3.7 mod, compared with a standard resistance atomizer at a higher voltage?

It seems there must be a difference, because people still pay money for 5v+ tube/box/etc mods even though a lower resistance atomizer is less expensive and ostensibly accomplishes the same thing, electrically speaking. I may just be plain darn wrong, feel free to correct me if that's the case.

Happy vaping!

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Kinda in the same boat...the thing is LR and 3.7v can only take you so far into the wattage range...around 8watts rso...with VV and diff attys/cartos you should be able to "dial" in that sweet spot...whatever that is.........
madjack:2cool:

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php ...plug diff numbers into the volt and ohm range and see the wattage diff...from what I have read, it seems that most like something in the 8-10watt range...some higher and some lower........mj

Last edited:

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
There are some technical possibilities as to why 7 watts at 5 volts might be better than 7 watts at 3.7 volts. For example, 7 watts at 5 volts suggests resistance of 3.57 ohms. 7 watts at 3.7 volts suggests 1.96 ohms. Higher ohms would generally mean more heating coil surface area exposed to e-liquid. So possibly a thicker vapor at the higher ohm situation that might be partially compensated for by taking shorter drags. But my suspicion is that it is more just a matter of taste and choice. Some will like bigger mods better than smaller mods. Some will like higher volts better than lower volts. And some will have just the opposite tastes and choices.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Higher resistance and higher voltage = LESS current draw from the battery , longer charge time, easier on the battery , etc.

Exactly^^

1.5ohms @ 3.7v = 9.13watts @ 2.47amps
3ohms @ 5.3v = 9.36watts @ 1.77amps

As you can see, even though you use a lower voltage with low resistance, the amp draw is MUCH higher. The higher the amp draw, the more strain you put on the circuit, and on the batteries.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    These headers should create vapor quite nicely :evil::lol:
    f1-turbo-bmw-1.jpg

ambientech

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 27, 2011
    somewhere

makasin

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2010
    San Diego
    Yeah, well having higher electrical resistance means less current being pulled from the batteries (the two 3V batts in series in a 6v mod for example), so less strain on the batteries. Plus, using high drains and advanced chemistries, they are able to easily match the power requirements than say a 17670 or smaller. Sure when you get to 18650+ sizes, this problem is lessened, but basically they can potentially last longer and be more reliable, not dropping as much in voltage and having all sorts of funky effects when it's heavily loaded (which is what them atomzers/cartos do). Coz youre practically almost shorting curcuiting the battery if you run it at 1.5 ohms load, on a 3.7V mod. That requires a LOT of power/strain. Battery technology isnt really designed/good enough yet for these types of applications IMHO. But either way, both methods work and produce great results. I just got into 6v vaping and am loving it. a 3.2 ish ohm atomizer is perfect, which is pretty similar to 3.7V with 1.5 ohm, but i can take shorter drags and it gets hotter due to more coil surface area and/or thickness of the coil.

makasin

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2010
    San Diego
    I fly rc planes with lithium polymer batteries and wonder why they aren't used in these box mods over the lithium ion. You could get more voltage and capacity in a box mod with them.

You can get some good cheap high capacity cells from HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : LiPo, LiFe, NiMH Battery>Li-Poly (All brands)

Those are all around 8-11V right? I dont think that would be a good idea. There arent any atomizers with a high enough impedence that would be able to produce vapor without burning the juice or just immediately popping. Even a 4 ohm would be like 30 Watts! BOOM! Although it would be cool if someone made a 20 ohm atty lol but I dont see it getting to that point anytime soon. It would be an interesting DIY thing though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread