Not open for further replies.

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
New Measuring Equipment!

We have added some new laboratory grade items that will make measuring a breeze!

For those who are looking to accurately measure minuscule amounts of liquid we suggest our new Glass Pipettes and a Pipette Pump! The Pump retails at $10.00 and you can purchase the Glass Pipettes for $.65 each. The graduations for the 2ml Glass Pipette is 1/50ml and for the 5ml Glass Pipette 1/10ml!

The Pump and Glass Pipettes are reusable and instructions are included for use and care with the pump. They are super easy to use! They come in two sizes. The 10ml Pump works with the 5ml Glass Pipette and the 2ml Pump works with the 2ml Glass Pipette.

We have also added a 50ml Graduated Cylinder and a 50ml Graduated Beaker, these retail at $3.75 the same as our 10ml Graduated Cylinder. The beaker can take some heat, so its perfect for warming up PG or VG when your mixing in Ethyl Maltol or tobacco Absolute.

Happy Mixing! :toast:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
Correction - Our Pipettes for the pumps are not glass, they are made from Polystyrene. Clean, plugged, sterile. Calibrated to deliver to the tip, with two rings near the top to indicate the small amount remaining to be blown out to complete the main volume delivered. Black marking, have negative, reverse graduation. Non-Cytotoxic and Pyrogen free. Graduation accuracy +/- 1.5%. Reference line for attaching pipet aid. Standard tips for normal cell culture applications and transfer of liquids.

robosax

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
ronkonkoma, NY
robosax.com
thanks for the quick reply!

I'm going to have to get used to these. I've been practicing with some distilled water and just squirted myself! doh! I'm all wet. haha

I just had an 'aha' moment filling some 3ml bottles. 3ml bottles hold 3.1ml, and my test batches have been 2.5ml. I've always mixed by drops, so I never knew the exact measurements. oh boy, I'm feeling so accurate. lol

you're right, these are fun :D

robo

Last edited:

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Okay, I don't think I can stand not having a pipette pump any longer. I want to order while the anniversary sale is on (now that new flavors I want are available!!) but I'm torn between the large pump and the small one - and how many pipettes should I get??

I need help from y'all who've been using a pump, please! I've been getting so frustrated.... how did you decide what pump/pipettes to order, and did you later wish you'd ordered differently?

I figure at minimum, I need one pipette for nic base (I use 50-50 so I think there's plenty of PG already) - one for VG - and several more for various flavorings? And maybe one for water/vodka (which I currently store in a glass vial with traditional glass dropper). I typically mix at least 2-4 bottles at a time because then you have to wash everything and let it air dry before putting it all away. And then I can't seem resist mixing "just one or two more" while I'm at it :laugh: - so I like dedicate one measuring device for each ingredient.

I mix right into the bottles, because measuring cups are too big (and more to wash). First I measure the nic base for all, then the VG, but I'd like to start making tiny batches of three-four flavor experiments. Or make variations to compare (Rum, plus or minus Butter, or Cream, you know how it is). So I'm thinking maybe 10 pipettes?

I've mostly been using 3 ml syringes because of the small increment markings, but sucking VG into a syringe with an 18 gauge needle takes forever, plus I always seem to get air in the syringe so forget about accuracy, it's impossible. And the needle doesn't reach the liquid when the bottle is no longer full, so I have to tip the bottle with one hand, then I only have only one more hand to hold the syringe AND pull the plunger back (I keep the bottle seal in place to minimize spills, using needles to poke holes but then the paper seal rips so easily as I wrestle to keep suction going for 2.5 ml when I'm doing a 6 ml bottle).

I've got teeny unmarked plastic pipettes I have to use for my LorAnn's bottles because they don't have dropper tips like the PA flavorings. So the drop size of my flavorings differ... then sometimes I forget how much thinner the flavorings are after working so hard to measure the VG, and whoops, too many drops of flavoring shoot out. I got hand cramps trying to count drops of VG, it's so thick. So I think I really need a consistent measuring device like a pump, to use for everything. Is it faster than syringes with needles?

Yesterday I wanted to verify how many drops of flavor compare to a milliliter by using a syringe as the measuring device, again because of the small increment markings. But the thin liquid dripped right out of the needle while I was counting drops, DUH!

I spent almost three hours yesterday making only four 6 ml bottles of recipes I've already figured out! (I had to start by cutting some 48 base down to 36 because I have recipes using both strengths, I'm math-challenged and those drops/ml/% calculators can get confusing. I haven't found a good calculator yet that really helps me figure out everything, but that's another story.)

Seems like a pump would solve a lot of my issues, instead of my current mish-mosh. I've got pretty good manual dexterity but when it comes to measuring for mixes, I feel all thumbs!

How do drops translate in terms of 1/50 of a ml? That seems a very fine increment, but 1/10 of a ml is probably too big for tiny mixes such as 1 ml experiments. Some calculators say 20 drops = 1 ml, others say 22, others say 30, others use %. If you adjust a flavor by one drop, how can I tell what that means percentage-wise? Sigh.

It seems like the smaller pump would be better for small mixes. I figure I could just fill a small pipette twice if I was mixing 6 ml and needed larger quantities. So far I've only made 6 ml a few times, when I come up with something good. I crave variety and I still have several unmixed straight flavors (I need more bottles!) not to mention all the combinations I want to try out.

Surely I'm not the only person fumbling through this process, so I want to ask the pump-using DIYers on the forum (then others can learn from my questions too). I hope this is a good thread to ask on.

Will a pipette pump make my mixing life better/faster and solve these problems? I have this feeling it'll be just the trick, but maybe it's my methodology... I'm feeling overwhelmed by too much equipment that's not quite right, and there's never enough space in a New York apartment, so I really don't want to get both sizes. I can't figure out which one would be better for me to start with, or if other mixers have evolved a more satisfactory process by using one of these revolutionary-sounding pumps.

I REALLY need advice! I bet I'm not the only one... Thanks so much for any guidance!

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
VaporChef -

Good questions. You are running into a lot of issues that we ALL seem to run into :)

First things first, measuring with drops is not accurate, unless you're always using a particular dropper bottle size. It can be good for rough estimates (i.e. 10 drops flavor, 30 drops e-liquid and 10 drops PG USP) of percentages, but as far as getting actual milliliter increments, you are best served with a graduated cylinder.

If you need micro measurements, or just simply an easier way to measure smaller amounts (especially useful when making your own flavor blends, of say 3-4 different flavors), the pipette pump becomes a very handy tool. With a pipette pump you can measure .25ml of flavor 1, .55ml of flavor 2, and .40ml of flavor 3, very quickly and very easily.

Keep in mind, the pipette pump with the polystyrene pipettes are very LONG, so you need some space when working with your liquids. The pipette pump can be used one handed with the simple thumb roller, to draw the liquid up, while you watch the measurements down on the lower end of the pipette.

The 5ml pipette is about 2-3 inches longer, but is about twice as big around as the 2ml pipette.

I would say, the 5ml pipette would probably be your best option, since it too can measure 2ml, the graduations are not as small. Not everybody may need that much precision, but if you do then you will want the 2ml pipette.

Between a 10ml graduated cylinder, 50ml beaker and a 5ml pipette with a pipette pump, you should be able to measure up enough liquid to mix up weekly or monthly batches of flavored liquids.

All of this equipment, if taken care of, can last a while. You can clean them out with distilled water and/or PGA. Since the price of the pipettes are low, I would suggest to get a few of them so you dont have to run to your wash bin to clean out flavors.

I hope this helps!

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
It does help, Ren, thanks, but not enough yet. I had been considering the beaker/cylinders as well, but I still can't visualize these pumps with piecemeal info and no photo. That's why I thought this thread could help collate all the details in once place. (Hard to think like a lab rat when my last chemistry class was over 30 years ago, LOL)

So let me ask more specific questions about the pump parts. First, is it quick and easy to swap to a clean pipette after dispensing each ingredient, or is that a fiddly pain?

Second, does the pump hold the liquids securely inside the poly pipettes without dripping back out, like squishy handheld plastic pipettes do? (seems like it would)

Does the pump stand up on its own? Can you suck up an ingredient and then pause or set it down if you need to, like to answer the phone?

Next, size. If the 5 ml pipettes are 2-3 inches longer and twice as fat as the 2mls - how "LONG" and fat are the 2ml pipettes to begin with?

Is the pipette's tip/opening big enough to make it easier to suck up thick, viscous VG? (e.g., bigger than an 18-gauge needle) I considered pre-thinning VG with water, but the next problem is weak flavorings where you use a lot, and compensate with less water/vodka... Don't want to make juice too runny, especially in 100 degree weather.

Next, if a recipe has measures like .55 ml (as I've seen calculators do) -

1/50 = .02 ml increments = 2 ml pipette.
1/10 = .10 ml increments = 5 ml pipette.

Notice, neither of these provides a .05 increment, so... is it easier to eyeball .05 increments between the markings on the 5 ml, or the 2ml? How tiny/far apart are each one's markings in linear terms like inches - could you give me a better idea by comparing them to the .10 markings on a 3ml syringe?

That's enough questions for this post. I hope we continue this dialog over a few days, if you don't mind... I'm most grateful for all the details!

GrannyM

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Saginaw, MI
Hey VaporChef,
I have the larger one only & so can't give you a comparison, but I'll give you info based on what I have.

It does help, Ren, thanks, but not enough yet. I had been considering the beaker/cylinders as well, but I still can't visualize these pumps with piecemeal info and no photo. That's why I thought this thread could help collate all the details in once place. (Hard to think like a lab rat when my last chemistry class was over 30 years ago, LOL) If you google "pipette pump", you should be able to find pictures from some other (not ecig) sites & also realize what a good deal One Stop DIY is offering. :)

So let me ask more specific questions about the pump parts. First, is it quick and easy to swap to a clean pipette after dispensing each ingredient, or is that a fiddly pain? Very, very easy!! The pipette is just pushed into the pump which has kind of a silicone type gripper - it does stay secure when in use - then just pull it out again.

Second, does the pump hold the liquids securely inside the poly pipettes without dripping back out, like squishy handheld plastic pipettes do? (seems like it would) Yes, liquids hold securely. Then either slowly dispense by turning the wheel back down or 1 push of the side button dispenses it all at once.

Does the pump stand up on its own? Can you suck up an ingredient and then pause or set it down if you need to, like to answer the phone? NO, it will not stand up by itself. You'd have to lay it down on its side.

Next, size. If the 5 ml pipettes are 2-3 inches longer and twice as fat as the 2mls - how "LONG" and fat are the 2ml pipettes to begin with? The 5 ml pipettes are about 13 1/2 inches long. Inside diameter of the tube (not the tapered tip) is about 3/16". The pump itself is about 6 1/4 inches long. It's very long all assembled (about 20"), but very easy 1 handed operation. The length makes it feel a little akward at first, especially when using a small 5 ml plastic bottle. I practiced with plain water 1st & I think it took all of 2 minutes to figure it out, lol.

Is the pipette's tip/opening big enough to make it easier to suck up thick, viscous VG? Plenty big enough - you won't have any problems. (e.g., bigger than an 18-gauge needle) I considered pre-thinning VG with water, but the next problem is weak flavorings where you use a lot, and compensate with less water/vodka... Don't want to make juice too runny, especially in 100 degree weather.

Next, if a recipe has measures like .55 ml (as I've seen calculators do) -

1/50 = .02 ml increments = 2 ml pipette.
1/10 = .10 ml increments = 5 ml pipette.

Notice, neither of these provides a .05 increment, so... is it easier to eyeball .05 increments between the markings on the 5 ml, or the 2ml? How tiny/far apart are each one's markings in linear terms like inches - could you give me a better idea by comparing them to the .10 markings on a 3ml syringe? The .10 increments are just a little more than 1/8 inch apart. Very easy to judge where about 1/2 between the marks would be.

That's enough questions for this post. I hope we continue this dialog over a few days, if you don't mind... I'm most grateful for all the details!

So go ahead & order one! You'll love it!

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Thank you so MUCH, Granny, that is exactly what I needed to know! Your response is so complete I can't even remember what other questions I had!

I just LOVE the community at ECF. And now this information is available to benefit everyone! I'd bet it helps other DIYers decide to go for it too, because of all the advantages to be gained by using a pump.

I will indeed get the 5 ml, as Ren recommended (and a good deal it is, too - Googling for photos really helped, the thing even looks like a magic wand, LOL). I still need to figure out the other components of my next order, but I'll get to it as soon as I can. (In the meantime that new Honeysuckle flavoring might even become available!)

Thanks again very much to you both. Between the two of you, I am much more confident that most of my frustrations will be eliminated by having the "right stuff" ! This seems to be the missing piece of hardware.

If anyone knows of a calculator that can figure out the nic level of a juice from the amounts and ingredients that went into it, that would also be immensely helpful. Often I've started from a recipe but fumbled, or not followed it exactly, or had to adjust it after, and I don't know what strength it ended up at. I'd love to be able to figure that out, so I hope someone can chime in again...

I'm just so grateful this forum exists!

ckreef

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Central GA

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Thanks for posting the link ckreef, but that's the one I've been using. It calculates the ingredients you SHOULD use to get a desired nic mix. Didn't you notice there's no nic STRENGTH in the bottom section where the calculated results are displayed?

I want one where it calculates the nic strength resulting from what actually happened, LOL!

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If anyone knows of a calculator that can figure out the nic level of a juice from the amounts and ingredients that went into it, that would also be immensely helpful. Often I've started from a recipe but fumbled, or not followed it exactly, or had to adjust it after, and I don't know what strength it ended up at. I'd love to be able to figure that out, so I hope someone can chime in again...

I'm just so grateful this forum exists![/QUOTE]

Try out my FREE ejuice calculator. Google "eJuice Me Up" it's by Breaktru Software. You can also mix multiple nicotine levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread