Menthol Crystals with no PGA -- What are issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get my hands on PGA or any grain alcohol. In Ontario, these are not available. I have big container of Menthol crystals ready, and only PG/VG/Vodka/Distilled water/??? to mix it with.

What is the best alternatives to mix menthol crystals with? Why use an alcohol when PG seems to work OK? Is there an advantage to alcohol?

I have read that a 2:1 ratio of crushed menthol crystals to PGA is recommended. Is this identical if I use an alternate?

Any menthol cyrstal users help apricated :)

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I used PGA because I had it sitting around. Filled a bottle with crushed menthol and added just enough PGA to disolve them, so my result was pretty close to just menthol with a little carrier.

That's the why of it. I could, it was quick, and it was easy.

If I was in your part of the world I would have used PG instead.

Why ask why?

I mixed PG and menthol crystals at approx a 1:1 ratio for my own menthol concentrate and it works fine. You will probably need to warm the mix a little to initially dissolve the crystals, but at room temperature this mix has shown no signs of crystals reforming.

That's a pretty strong concentration. I would use more PG both so it is easier to dissolve and not so strong or easier to work with.

Maybe you really had less than 1:1 because Dow lists solubility of menthol as ">50%"

This is the entry I have about menthol in my guidebook too: Slightly soluble in water; very soluble in alcohol and volatile oils

VG isn't a good solvent but in a lot of cases PG falls somewhere in between alcohol and water.

FWIW I jammed a bunch of crystals into a 10ml emtpy bottle, then added some PG. I'd say close to 50/50. I DID NOT crush them, just to see. They slowly started disolving, after about an hour they were about 1/2 gone. I ran the bottle under hot water from sink for few minutes, shaking every 30 seconds. Within 2-3 minutes crystals disolved. They have been sitting overnight, and bottle still looks crystal clear.

Looks like there is no need for PGA :)

I'll let this bottle sit around for a few weeks to be sure there is no re-formed crystals, but for now, it seems PG is just as effective (at least at a 1:1 ratio) as PGA..

On a side note, a tiny crystal grain must have got stuck to the tip of my PV... I noticed pretty quckly as my lips tounge and mouth started to tingle... That woke me up!! :p

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
That's a pretty strong concentration. I would use more PG both so it is easier to dissolve and not so strong or easier to work with.

Maybe you really had less than 1:1 because Dow lists solubility of menthol as ">50%"

This is the entry I have about menthol in my guidebook too: Slightly soluble in water; very soluble in alcohol and volatile oils

VG isn't a good solvent but in a lot of cases PG falls somewhere in between alcohol and water.

Good link. Must admit I didn't carefully measure it, I just made it to approximately 50% by eye, and while strong, I can easily make a mix with a slight hint of menthol or a "take your head off" menthol with it :) Just vary the number of drops. The ">" symbol means "greater than" so if I'm reading it correctly they are saying solubility in PG is greater than 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread