Microcoils and Mechs

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by kingdal, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. kingdal

kingdal Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I've been playing round with microcoils and find them good to use on the right mod. They work great on a VV device but how do they vape on a mech? With the relatively higher ohms, are you going to get the same punch as say, a 0.8 ohm coil on a mech?

Whats the highest resistance microcoil you can go on a mech mod and still get a great vape?

2. Jeremy Evans

Jeremy Evans Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have gone as high as 1.8 or so, but I only use mechs. So most of my micros are sub-ohm setups. With a micro you learn that the resistance isnt as important as you would think

3. kingdal

Supporting member
    Thats interesting. How do you get your micros to sub ohm level?

4. REOfanatic

REOfanatic Moved On Verified Member

you could try what jcwest did and get "paperclip wire" lol or you use 26awg or less. or if its to hard to wrap, you can use ribbon kanthal. you will just need more space to work with.

5. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Some folks (super_X_drifter for example) will go as high as 2.5Ω on a mech. I'm with Jeremy, up there. My most recent micros are low gauge dual coils @ .5 & .6Ω

I ran a dual 29 guage, recently, with about 7 wraps, and it netted .6Ω

6. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I run a 2 ohm on a mech. It's my all day vape. It's off the chain. Key factors are: 1/16" bore, 30ga Kanthal A1 and rolled cotton wick. It's around 12 wraps.

On my VV, I bump it up to around 14 wraps 2.3ish) and slightly adjust the power to the north (or east on my dial)

I get no noticeable drop all day on my mech. Just copious clouds of warm, satisfying vapor :)

7. darkzero

darkzero Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I don't go higher than 1.2-1.3 ohm using 28 awg on a micro on mechs. Higher than 1.5 is too cool for me with drop in TH & I need higher nic (back to what I started at) to make up for it but that doesn't do anything for heat.

8. Stringer63

Stringer63 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hey super-x, just wanted to throw you a shout out for all of your info on the micro coil. Got one rockin on an igo-l with a cotton ball wick and fogging the house up! Hell, I'm even looking at taking the reo plunge to bottom feed this badass setup.

9. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    ^ you're welcome bro. Thank you :)

Once you get that badass mod and atomizer, you self kick your ... for not getting it sooner. Or you may just congratulate yourself for reaching the summit of mount vapesuvious. :)

10. Alexvac

Alexvac Full Member Verified Member

Im running microcoils of sorts on my aga-t, I have 2 coils in parallel wrapped 6 times each so its a total of 12 wraps. I'm using 32g kanthal and it measures 1.4 ohms. The flavor and vp are absolutely amazing by the way.

11. FogHawg

FogHawg Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

A 1 Ohm coil (7/8 wraps of 28g on a 16g needle) around a wisp of rolled cotton in an RM2 on a Reo Grande makes me a very happy piggy!

12. kingdal

Supporting member
    Great responses everyone! Thanks for all the feedback!

I just set up a Kayfun with a 10 wrap microcoil 30g Kanthal at 2.3 ohms. I found this to be an anemic vape on a mech, and too coolis, although it works great on my Provari. So now I guess I know what my upper limit is on a mech

13. pdib

2.3 seems high for a 10 wrap 30g micro. (methinks?)

14. steven445

steven445 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I am so mad I vaped an EGO for the first 11 months of vaping!
    I had the Ego Mega type B atomizer for $10 each on a Ego C twist.
    I always thought, this isn't that great lol!
    Then I upgraded to a Provari in December 2012.
    Now July I think I found the keeper!
    Reo Grand!

15. kingdal

Supporting member
    I can confirm that lol.

Now I find even a 1.5 ohm micro with 30g is kinda weak. Its weird but I tested the battery on a mech at 3.8v and the vape wasnt so good. I put the same iGo-L on a Provari at 3.7v and all of a sudden its alive. I'm thinking maybe I have to clean my mech but I cleaned it just a week ago. Plus it seems I cant get a decent vape with microcoils on a mech, no matter which of my mods I use. They all give out weaker vapor. But works fine on the Provari.

I'm thinking I should play around with twisted Kanthal

16. kingdal

Supporting member
    I can confirm that lol.

Now I find even a 1.5 ohm micro with 30g is kinda weak. Its weird but I tested the battery on a mech at 3.8v and the vape wasnt so good. I put the same iGo-L on a Provari at 3.7v and all of a sudden its alive. I'm thinking maybe I have to clean my mech but I cleaned it just a week ago. Plus it seems I cant get a decent vape with microcoils on a mech, no matter which of my mods I use. They all give out weaker vapor. But works fine on the Provari.

I'm thinking I should play around with twisted Kanthal

17. kingdal

Supporting member
    +1 on that! If it wasnt for superX, I wouldn't know what a microcoil was. The tutorial on building microcoils was especially good!

18. kingdal

Supporting member
    is that like pbdib's coil? Sure would appreciate a picture

19. pdib

How's the humidity in . . . . . ."The Far Side" . . . .kingdal? I went to Chicago recently (very humid) and my mech performance went to crap. Had to make a trip to the local Ace Hardware for 600 +1500 grit sandpaper and some "ox-guard" lube.

20. gotalotgoingon

gotalotgoingon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have one that I just wrapped with 30 gauge and it is 3.1 with 15 wraps so that is pretty close.

: provari, kayfun
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.