Mike n Tibs DNA Mods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Finally got around to building my three ERM+ boxes last night. Fixing the 510 edges was super simple and super fast. Thanks for all the advice on that front.

I have a couple of questions for those who also got in on the ERM + deal however.

I couldn't screw the DNA200 board all the way down, it would auto press some of the buttons. Even loosening the screws by a turn or two still seems like the board is more than secure, but wondered if everybody had that happen?

And I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the extra piece of foam rubber tape was for? I assumed to eliminate battery rattle if there was any, but I couldn't detect any.
You need to grind down the back of the buttons to fit, the Evolv and the ModCrate are the same, you may even need to slightly hollow them. Diamond grit cutting/grinding wheels are good fro this and cheap on eBay.

The foam is high temp double sided tape the hold the screen in place.

Icemanxxxv

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
KC MO
Finally got around to building my three ERM+ boxes last night. Fixing the 510 edges was super simple and super fast. Thanks for all the advice on that front.

I have a couple of questions for those who also got in on the ERM + deal however.

I couldn't screw the DNA200 board all the way down, it would auto press some of the buttons. Even loosening the screws by a turn or two still seems like the board is more than secure, but wondered if everybody had that happen?

And I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the extra piece of foam rubber tape was for? I assumed to eliminate battery rattle if there was any, but I couldn't detect any.
I just used some sand paper on a flat surface and fitted my buttons that way. Only took a couple of minutes.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.

Foam tape was for the screen, stick it to the board to hold the screen snug;y.

I used a Dremel with a round burr and made a "divot" in the center of each button. Quick and easy.

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I rubbed the buttons on a file until they stopped auto pressing. Worked great. I used my thumb to press the button against the file, kept the file still in my lap and pressed on the button on the cutting strokes and eased up on the return. I've got no rattle and they work great.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Thanks guys. Mike taped the screens on mine, so I guess the foam (in my cases) were extra.

Looks like I'll have to work on sanding the buttons in the near future.

Thanks again.
Yes, I included it with all of them, even if I taped the screen.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
I got the Evolv 510 from one of Mike's co-ops, my first stab at a DNA 75, I tried out some new ideas like soldering the spacers to the board and brazing the back of the box and face side of the board mount screws holes. Made with basic tools: hacksaw, Dremel, cordless drill, lots of abrasive paper and elbow grease.
20160428_024027_Copy.jpg

20160428_024010_Copy.jpg

Made from alu box section.
20160420_125313_Copy.jpg

sanjosse

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
San Jose, CA
Squonk_me,

Any luck?

Looking at the boxes on the Alpine Tech face book page I see they have the G+ boxes cut out for Mitec switches. I ordered one of these, View attachment 514379

and these, DNA40 screen cradle. DNA40 Adjustable Combo Cradle by sanjosse on Shapeways

View attachment 514380

I have some of 12mm Mitec and some C&k switches and I kinda think that I can put a DNA40 with a single 18650 in there. I kinda checked the placement of the screen holder against the G+ box that I already have and it looks like it will fit, with room to use the pre-drilled holes for C&K switches.
Pictures to follow.

If it turns out to be a fail I will just throw a DNA200 in there and use the remote Mitec!

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY
I got the Evolv 510 from one of Mike's co-ops, my first stab at a DNA 75, I tried out some new ideas like soldering the spacers to the board and brazing the back of the box and face side of the board mount screws holes. Made with basic tools: hacksaw, Dremel, cordless drill, lots of abrasive paper and elbow grease.

You've got some mad dremel skills.

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY
Cheers, but it's sanding with the paper on a granite worktop saver that makes it look finished and make it square, but that takes a very very long time.
Well, I was referring to the cutouts, not the finish. I use scotchbrite to finish things.

I've just never been very good at making a clean cutout for the USB/Screen, even using an XY table and the dremel fixed in the vertical. :D I've considered throwing more money at it but meh.

Mandro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Tamworth UK
20160428_024027_Copy.jpg

20160428_024010_Copy.jpg

Made from alu box section.
20160420_125313_Copy.jpg

Up until I got a mini mill, I was using basic tools to build my mods so I appreciate how hard it is to make things square and do cut outs.
Excellent work VapingBad :thumb:

Squonk_me

cut and paste has its consequences
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2015
Dry and windy
Squonk_me,

Any luck?

You betcha! :thumbs:
I had to alter the board holder a bit to make it work with the alpinetech boxes. In order for the holder to clear the already in place holes for the up/down buttons I had to put the holder in "upside down", which would have put the usb holder on the wrong end. But that is not a problem as my plan was to use 18650 batteries and they are easy to change out. Also altered the screen side to allow more movement in placement because I placed the holder against the back of the box to help with straight alignment for the screen. Your holder also allowed me to use header pins to go from the board to the up/down buttons for a direct connection. (bend the pins and they reached the button contacts).

The big plus from using your holder is it will allow me to change the DNA 40 out (should it go bad) and go to a DNA 75 with NO damage to the box. :banana:

mini-IMG_20160427_205934.jpg

mini-IMG_20160427_205852.jpg

mini-IMG_20160427_210007.jpg

Pay no attention to the squonks in the background,,,,,
they are waiting for a trip to the storage box. :firefox:

Squonk_me

cut and paste has its consequences
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2015
Dry and windy
Any one interested in getting some gel to change the color of the screen?
I filled out the request here, made up a company name and,,, got it!

swatch-book.jpg

Free Swatch Book - Apollo Outlet

These samples are about, 1 1/2 X 2 1/2. All the colors of the rainbow and then some.
Way, WAY more gels than shown in that picture!

Last edited:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Pay no attention to the squonks in the background,,,,,
they are waiting for a trip to the storage box.

Noooooooooo......they will be afraid and lonely in the storage box. :blink: Even lowly bottom feeding squonks deserve a loving environment or at least a proper burial.

squonk_crying_by_bloomvaltor-d9tpcu7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread