More wraps lower ohm's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
There seems to be an error in the thread title. What you have is "more wraps higherresistance, which is how it's supposed to be.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
No, no mistake. I had a dual 6 wrap coil And it read .24 did an 8 wrap dual coil and only reading .34 the 8 wrap was on kanthal and 6 wrap was on staple wire. I always thought if a coil reads .25 it's higher then .34? Sorry I'm new to all this!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
No, no mistake. I had a dual 6 wrap coil And it read .24 did an 8 wrap dual coil and only reading .34 the 8 wrap was on kanthal and 6 wrap was on staple wire. I always thought if a coil reads .25 it's higher then .34? Sorry I'm new to all this!

headscratcher.....................

0.25 is not higher than 0.34

Reactions: KenD

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
Ok Sorry I was figuring it was higher as in I could fire more watts. Noob mistake so .25 is in fact lower then .34 but the watts can go higher at a lower resistance. My bad. Anyhow I figure it out! Made dual 4 wrap coils for the tsunami and 5 wraps dual for the Griffin the 4 wrap was at 1.9 which is nice on the drip tank. And the 5 wrap is at .21 :) sorry for the confusion. Lol

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Ok Sorry I was figuring it was higher as in I could fire more watts. Noob mistake so 2.5 is in fact lower then .34 but the watts can go higher at a lower resistance. My bad. Anyhow I figure it out! Made dual 4 wrap coils for the tsunami and 5 wraps dual for the Griffin the 4 wrap was at 1.9 which is nice on the drip tank. And the 5 wrap is at .21 :) sorry for the confusion. Lol
The lower number is lower (so I think you mean .19, not 1.9). More coil mass can handle more power. So, for example, if using 26ga wire, a 15 wrap coil can handle more watts than a 10 wrap coil. However, a 22ga 10 wrap 22ga can handle more power than a 15 wrap 26ga coil.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Yes you're right .19 not 1.9
Ok so the skinnier the wire more power?you mention a 22 gauge coil handles more power then a 26gauge.

The lower the gauge, the thicker the wire. For example, 22 ga is about .64 mm thick, 26 ga is about 0.4 mm, and 30 ga about .25 mm.

The thicker the coil, that is to say the lower, the lower the resistance per cm and the more power is needed to heat it up.

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
Dammit, I was hoping this was going to get funny. You guys had to go ahead and get it sorted real fast. Smh
Lol Another question guys I noticed on of my coils is heating up faster then the other. But once I start pulsing them they are ok. I scrapped my ceramic tweezers on the one that was slow to light up. Guys at the Vap shop checked it out everything looked good. I'm building with the shifty Allen key that came with the kit. And the coil that's lighting up slower I noticed both screws are starting to get stripped. The coils won't budge if you pull on them they are tight. But the one that lights up quicker both screw are nice and not stripped. Could that be my issue?

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Dammit, I was hoping this was going to get funny. You guys had to go ahead and get it sorted real fast. Smh
That's what we do in the building section. Well. I actually forgot to tell the OP that 18g Ni200 is the best to build with. It heats up super fast for such a thick wire & has a decent resistance. Just make sure to go 24 wraps on a 3.5mm or 20 wraps on a 4.0mm ID :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread