Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason McRoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2012
Tampa, FL
Wow! What a revelation I had today.

I just started vaping this past Saturday. I bought my starter kit and loved it. I had a little over a half of a pack of cigarettes left so I figure, I will just wean myself off. I was a pack a day smoker. My remaining cigs lasted me another 2 days.

Tuesday was to be my first day of no smoking, vaping only. I did have two that day. Wednesday about halfway through the day I caved and went out and bought a pack of my cigs- American Spirit. I only smoked two of them.

Thursday I smoked four. Today, I smoked one on waking up and one after lunch. About a half hour later I felt a little weak and sick. I thought nothing much of it at the time and went on about my way. At 3:30 I had another regular cig. Immediately after I felt a little sick and weak. Hmm... something is going on here.

I decided to do a little experiment. After dinner I had a cigarette. I felt a little off, but not too bad. 30 minutes later I lit another cigarette. About halfway through it I felt terrible. My stomach was nauseous and I was trembling and starting to sweat a little like I was coming down with something. I put out the cigarette and went for a walk.

After about 30 minutes I started feeling better. Within the hour I felt fine. Since that time I have only been vaping and vaping pretty hard. I feel awesome! It's been 3 hours since that last feeling and now when I think about having a cigarette I feel that feeling again.

Man! I have been a smoker for about 20 years, heavy for about 15 years. These last 5 years I have had major problems with chronic tiredness and lack of energy off and on throughout the day. Now I know for a fact and without a doubt in my mind I was in a constant "sick" state because of these cigarettes. I knew they were bad for me and weren't keeping my body up to par but man I had no idea how bad it really was affecting me until now.

I am happy this happened tonight to give me my own firm reality on what I have been doing to myself all this time. I am not going back now!

-Jason

Reactions: Alan48

Desdenova

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2011
Ortonville, Mi.
First off, hope your still feeling better. I smoked for over 30 years, have tried to quit several time without success. I noticed that when i laid down to sleep, i began to hear a faint whistle combined with a weezy sound. It was my lungs telling me cigarettes were taking their toll on my body. Its been approx 1.5 years now since i gave up tobacco for vaping. Today those noises are all gone. The biggest key for me was nic fix. Make sure your juice is the right nic level to satisfying your urge to smoke. And if you go too high on the nic level your body will let you know. Good luck Jason on kicking the analogs.:vapor:

Reactions: Alan48

CPT.SPALDING

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
WINNIPEG,MB.CANADA
Wow! What a revelation I had today.

I just started vaping this past Saturday. I bought my starter kit and loved it. I had a little over a half of a pack of cigarettes left so I figure, I will just wean myself off. I was a pack a day smoker. My remaining cigs lasted me another 2 days.

Tuesday was to be my first day of no smoking, vaping only. I did have two that day. Wednesday about halfway through the day I caved and went out and bought a pack of my cigs- American Spirit. I only smoked two of them.

Thursday I smoked four. Today, I smoked one on waking up and one after lunch. About a half hour later I felt a little weak and sick. I thought nothing much of it at the time and went on about my way. At 3:30 I had another regular cig. Immediately after I felt a little sick and weak. Hmm... something is going on here.

I decided to do a little experiment. After dinner I had a cigarette. I felt a little off, but not too bad. 30 minutes later I lit another cigarette. About halfway through it I felt terrible. My stomach was nauseous and I was trembling and starting to sweat a little like I was coming down with something. I put out the cigarette and went for a walk.

After about 30 minutes I started feeling better. Within the hour I felt fine. Since that time I have only been vaping and vaping pretty hard. I feel awesome! It's been 3 hours since that last feeling and now when I think about having a cigarette I feel that feeling again.

Man! I have been a smoker for about 20 years, heavy for about 15 years. These last 5 years I have had major problems with chronic tiredness and lack of energy off and on throughout the day. Now I know for a fact and without a doubt in my mind I was in a constant "sick" state because of these cigarettes. I knew they were bad for me and weren't keeping my body up to par but man I had no idea how bad it really was affecting me until now.

I am happy this happened tonight to give me my own firm reality on what I have been doing to myself all this time. I am not going back now!

-Jason

The exact same thing happened to me this week.

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
Mostly just a me too post- I can't think about smoking a cigarette without feeling nauseated, and that's after 28 years of pack and a half a day smoking. I quit cold turkey during a hospital stay, but once I got home, I found three analogs and cheated with a few drags every time I felt stressed out. Made my stomach hurt and my head ache, and yet, until I actually had one lit and smoking, I was still craving them, esp. when I was feeling emotional.

Once I switched to vaping, though, I knew I was done with cigs. Vaping actually does make me feel good, it tastes good, and I can breathe again. I can't say that I haven't craved a single cig since then, but the craving only lasts a second, because then I get kinda queasy thinking about it, and a hit from my e-cig makes everything all better again.

I think a big part of the reason some people tend to be more successful switching to ecigs than others, too, is the approach they take. For me, I was dead serious about quitting this time- my kid was stealing my cigs, and I wanted desperately to keep him from smoking, but like most smokers, I liked smoking, and emotionally, I didn't want to quit at all. My body was definitely ready, and it made itself very clear, but my emotional well being was still tied to smoking. Vaping not only satisfied that security blanket need, but it also gave me fun, which cigarettes never did (ok, with the exception of discovering cloves in high school- that was fun til the coughing up blood part, which was less so). All the nifty new flavors to try, all the fascinating gadgets to learn about, vaping is as much a legitimate hobby as it is an addiction, and how can you crave a weenie little marlb light when you are lusting after pics of someone's gorgeous new Provari on the forum? It's fun.

My brother, on the other hand, who I thought I'd converted, has given up on vaping. He was muttering about having wasted 40 bucks on his starter kit one day, and I asked him if he'd even tried any of the flavors I suggested- he had not- and I suggested he try a bigger, longer lasting battery, maybe a tank set up instead of yucky prefilled cowboy cartos, and he told me he didn't want to spend a bunch of time and money on any of it, wouldn't even try the eliquid I offered him because it was a PITA to fill cartos by himself, and accused me of not giving him enough information when he started. I reminded him that he too had internet access and told him that you've got to expect to do some research and spend a little money to figure out what's right for you when you're starting any new hobby and he angrily interrupted me to say, "It's not a hobby, it's an addiction". So there you go.

And now he's back to rolling his own exclusively, which is just as fiddley and messy and inconvenient as refilling cartos, imo, and of course, back to spending the equivalent of a cheapo ecig starter kit every week. Maybe his body isn't damaged enough to try to talk him out of smoking yet like mine was, or maybe his mindset just isn't there yet, but I definitely think how you see vaping has a lot to do with your success. If it's just a replacement addiction, well, that's no more entertaining or distracting than nicorette gum or a patch. For me, it's become so much more rewarding than smoking, I can't see myself ever going back.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Yup, pretty much. Three months in and cigarettes make me sick. I can't get past the first two drags, on the rare occasion I actually try to smoke. It tastes nasty, it makes me feel sick, and frankly, gross. I really wonder how I ever got addicted in the first place.

I wasn't a smoker for very long, 3 years maybe. But it was a serious and aggressive addiction for me. In three years time I went from an occasional offered cig, to more than a pack a day. My body hated me. It's much happier now, even if I haven't quite kicked the nicotine addiction. But I am down from 24mg when I started, to 6mg most of the day. 12mg in the morning, and when I get off work.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Congrats to the new vapers in this thread! As others have said, good to hear that you're listening to your body's protests.
Every few months I'll take a drag off someone's cig just because I like reminding myself how nasty they taste now. And damn, do they ever taste nasty. I can really taste the acrid bitterness of the FSC chems (mmm, carpet glue!) now that there's no tar coating my taste buds. I can't imagine how anyone starts smoking on current analogs, they're just disgusting.

dhdonline1

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2012
canada
It's amazing to me just how many success stories I read here on ecf! At the same time it's frustrating because even though there are so many of them, the "approved" cessation products are still publicly pushed, despite their high failure rate!

For me, smoking was an obsession! Tried quitting many times, and even for over a year at one point. Yet, I'd keep going back no matter how much I thought I didn't want to. I loved smoking - or at least thought I did! That was, until I started vaping!

Its been about a month... Or over! I find it amazing because when I'd quit before I knew the date and time I last lit up! I honestly don't remember. I still get "cravings" but more out of habbit or ritual. Now if I do feel the urge, I just grab the lava tube, and enjoy the flavor!! :)

Now I have a new hobby, have made new friends here on ecf, and a new lease on life! I. HAVE spent way more than I would have on stinkies but like I said its become the obsession smoking was. To be honest, can you put a price on health?

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Thankfully being around other smokers doesn't seem to bother me ... since I was beyond surrounded by them this past weekend. All outdoors tho, so that helped. It was cool tho, one of my favorite vendors was back, and she switched to vaping sometime in the last year. She uses a kGo and cartos with tobacco flavors. Saw a few other vapers around and referred them to this site for better knowledge. Was mostly a bunch of 808 look a likes, but when they saw my eGo and her kGo, their eyes got wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread