My dr is an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
So I went to the dr today for a check up. Told her I quit smoking and basically replace my smoking habit with a pv. What a downer "well now you just need to get off the nicotine". Why can't ppl just be happy that you quit.
Actually my mother had the same reaction. I guess I should just keep my mouth shut. I think ppl who have never smoked, just don't get what a big deal this is.

I have a couple friends much younger than myself in med school. They are taught from day one almost the "big pharma" language and for the rest of their career, or until they think for themselves, you will find this kind of thinking from a Dr. I also have a very good family friend who is 30 years old and she is a PhD. Pharmacist. Sadly, all she knows is "drugs/pills/big pharma talk". She realizes this, but can't change things now. She is so indoctrinated into the big pharma language, it is all she knows. Scary to me.

Doctor from the Latin viewpoint means "to teach". When was the last time any Dr. taught you anything? Guess that means we really don't have many Drs. around anymore. What we do have are big pharma reps with M.D. behind their names.

Want to get sick or die? Become a patient in some of the hospitals we have. Want to see what hospice patients get for their palliative care?
Pills...drugs....pills...drugs...pills to counter their drugs.....drugs to counter their pills. This is NOT hospice care.
But since dead people do not generate revenue, this will be what many get. They do not want a patient to die. I have one family member who is a RN and the other is an M.D. and they have worked it all. They can't stand their jobs anymore. All they see is hypocrisy in Administrators, Drs, in hospitals, in clinics, in anywhere healthcare takes place. All they see is big pharma reps come into the hospitals/clinics with freebie drug samples, pens,cell phones,excellent lunch foods,apparel,tickets,more drug samples,more tickets. You get the idea yet? Anywhere else we would call them prostitutes. Here we call them healthcare professionals.

Any idea how many European countries have free healthcare for their citizens, and many Drs. still make great money by their own standards. Where they actually "take care of you" type of healthcare? Where a single pill doesn't cost $110+? Even Cuba has free healthcare. Imagine that.
Our country is run by dishonest ,greedy people who would not ever agree to being a part of Social Security because they KNOW it sucks. Make them pay into Social Security and watch a dramatic improvement take place. It won't happen of course, because those same corrupt people know the score. Make them use the same healthcare system we all have to use and watch it change for the better. You will be waiting a long, long time. It won't happen either.
I just hope and pray I don't get seriously ill, because I will be basically on my own.

Disclaimer: These are my views and only my views. They do not represent ECF or it's members views necessarily. Granted, there are always exceptions, or at least I hope so. I know a couple anyway.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Rosco, I couldn't agree with you more! I had several bad operations and became very afraid of all things medical. One Dr. I had held Internist and Psychiatric doctrates. He told me to stop being pushed around and take charge of my self. My Dr.s are MY empoyees. Now a days I look everything up on-line and go to appt.s prepared. I have fired Dr's and one was fired from my hospital bed! He thought it was funny until I had the hospital admin come to my room.
An informed patient is a powerful person.

LudaCura

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I have a couple friends much younger than myself in med school. They are taught from day one almost the "big pharma" language and for the rest of their career, or until they think for themselves, you will find this kind of thinking from a Dr. I also have a very good family friend who is 30 years old and she is a PhD. Pharmacist. Sadly, all she knows is "drugs/pills/big pharma talk". She realizes this, but can't change things now. She is so indoctrinated into the big pharma language, it is all she knows. Scary to me.

Doctor from the Latin viewpoint means "to teach". When was the last time any Dr. taught you anything? Guess that means we really don't have many Drs. around anymore. What we do have are big pharma reps with M.D. behind their names.

Want to get sick or die? Become a patient in some of the hospitals we have. Want to see what hospice patients get for their palliative care?
Pills...drugs....pills...drugs...pills to counter their drugs.....drugs to counter their pills. This is NOT hospice care.
But since dead people do not generate revenue, this will be what many get. They do not want a patient to die. I have one family member who is a RN and the other is an M.D. and they have worked it all. They can't stand their jobs anymore. All they see is hypocrisy in Administrators, Drs, in hospitals, in clinics, in anywhere healthcare takes place. All they see is big pharma reps come into the hospitals/clinics with freebie drug samples, pens,cell phones,excellent lunch foods,apparel,tickets,more drug samples,more tickets. You get the idea yet? Anywhere else we would call them prostitutes. Here we call them healthcare professionals.

Any idea how many European countries have free healthcare for their citizens, and many Drs. still make great money by their own standards. Where they actually "take care of you" type of healthcare? Where a single pill doesn't cost $110+? Even Cuba has free healthcare. Imagine that.
Our country is run by dishonest ,greedy people who would not ever agree to being a part of Social Security because they KNOW it sucks. Make them pay into Social Security and watch a dramatic improvement take place. It won't happen of course, because those same corrupt people know the score. Make them use the same healthcare system we all have to use and watch it change for the better. You will be waiting a long, long time. It won't happen either.
I just hope and pray I don't get seriously ill, because I will be basically on my own.

Disclaimer: These are my views and only my views. They do not represent ECF or it's members views necessarily. Granted, there are always exceptions, or at least I hope so. I know a couple anyway.

I completely, absolutely agree with you Roscoe.

Mavrickk

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Norwalk OH
There are still some good Dr. out there, they are few and hard to find. My Dr. is a D.O. and that makes a big difference. a D.O. looks at more than tests and numbers and looks at drugs as a last resort or temp solution. My Dr. is very religious, I overheard him telling one of the nurses that the most important thing is that everyone leaves there feeling better than when they came in, physically, emotionally, or spiritually. He takes the time to get to know me and my wife and how our life is, what is important and what we want and plan to do. I wish other Dr. could learn from him.

mmcall12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2010
Indiana
I like the old school dr, they seem to tell you what is what not use these big medicial terms. Let me ask this when did dentist start doing this, they have a talk to you before they even get started (out $45., make you another appointment to get teeth cleaned (out another $45., then make you another appointment to do what you when in on the first (priceless), my dentist died and got another one in the same place even thou been going there for 20 years, they tell le this on my first visit, and then go throught all that to have a pin whole fixed on the first,,,,, i was so ......, I looking for another one.

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
Yesterday I had cat scans done and after they said I owed almost $400,I said "No,I dont".They said it was my deductable.I said I paid my deductable last month on other tests.The woman said Thats not counted.I took out the update from my ins co out of my purse and said Look Right there,it says its paid in full for the calendar year.She then said Fine,you owe 20% of the charges.I said 20% of the ins co's allowable charges right?She smiled and said Your right!Ill just send this in and bill you the correct amount when we know what it is for sure.Then she asked How did you get so smart about billing?I said because when you people over charge you dont return my money,so now Im not giving it to you in the first place.Im over it.Its my money and I want it NOWWWW!!LOL!!

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
Wow you guys, this is some scarey stuff! Just yesterday I was talking to my former mil and she was telling me that she gets her inhalers from a Canadian pharmacy mailed to her for half the price here. She was also in the hospital over the Thanksgiving holiday with pnemonia[sp] and they released her when she was supposedly 'cured'. She just went back to another doc a few days ago cus she still felt bad and yep, she still had it!
More and different pills and she feels much better. I love my inlaws so much but they are older and go to the docs all the time, they are on so many meds it's mind boggleing...

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
Wow you guys, this is some scarey stuff! Just yesterday I was talking to my former mil and she was telling me that she gets her inhalers from a Canadian pharmacy mailed to her for half the price here. She was also in the hospital over the Thanksgiving holiday with pnemonia[sp] and they released her when she was supposedly 'cured'. She just went back to another doc a few days ago cus she still felt bad and yep, she still had it!
More and different pills and she feels much better. I love my inlaws so much but they are older and go to the docs all the time, they are on so many meds it's mind boggleing...

The "older" generation grew up believing in their Drs. My Mom is 79 and she trusts and believes what her Dr. tells her. I am not so gullible anymore. Why? Because actions speak louder than words. Everytime.

knobbysmoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
North Texas

My son (uninsured) was finally diagnosed as bipolar. He also can not find work. We called around for weeks to every therapist, psch. ect to see if anyone was willing to work with us financially. Maybe we were just lucky or very blessed but we found a great therapist and a great Psychiatrist that were both willing to cut their rates to the bare minimum to treat him. Then (knowing we could not afford the $700 a month pharm. bills) send his prescriptions to Canada so our medicine costs are less than $100 a month. Guess I just wanted to point out that there are some good guys left out there that do care more about their patients health the the all mighty dollar. :)

Joyce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
West Virginia

I had a similar situation with my dad during Christmas. He's 87; was admitted to one hospital on Christmas Eve, with multiple diagnoses...possible heart attack, possible pulmonary embolism, possible congestive heart failure. Then the rigamarole started: no heart attack, it's an embolism, the embolism has been dissolved. No, he never had an embolism, it's congestive heart failure, put him on diuretics. Started showing improvement...jerked him off diuretics because they're too hard on his kidneys, and besides, he has a pulmonary embolism, which has been dissolved, and we're discharging him. He told them he didn't feel ready to leave the hospital, but they gave him the bum's rush out of there...

Fast forward I come home from New Year's Vacation, expecting to find him doing much better. Not only is he not better, my elderly mother is at her wit's end, expecting any second for him to take his last breath. I convinced him to let me take him to a different hospital ER, with a cardio specialty wing. Turns out he had had a damaging heart attack, undiagnosed, and ALSO had developed hospital acquired pneumonia while at the other hospital. He was coming down with it when they booted him out. We almost lost him. He spent an additional 3 weeks in the other hospital, recovering.

They're not medical doctors, they're medical guessers.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
OMG Joyce! Sounds like the St Albans area.....I'm convinced that one of the hospitals there basically caused my grandfathers death.....kinda a blessing though as he had lung and prostate cancer, but just the same, he went into the hospital one day severely dehydrated and died of congestive heart failure. When I finally got the low down of what happened at the hospital, well basically they tried to hydrate him WAAAAAY too fast!!! This is the same hospital where my uncle (who has all sorts of issues) was sent for gangrene in his foot....and they brought him beer with his lunch and dinner.....

There are some great ones out there and there are some that just don't give a dmn anymore......quite sad really. My family here has been lucky so far......

fetasigma

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
kentucky
Being a family practice doctor myself who also vapes. I encourage my patient to use PV’s and send them to V4L often as I think it is a great place to start. However, I tell my patients up front that it is not approved by the FDA and that I cannot medically recommend it, but personally do. Usually I talk to them about it when they express an interest to quit and have tried more than one method to quit nicotine all together.

As far as hospital costs I agree with you all that they are crazy but just remember that your family doctor that is treating you is actually not making most of that money. It is not doctors that are money crazy it’s the rest of the system. Also remember as far as your doctor is concerned he is probably around a quarter million dollars in debt just to get to the point that he can practice medicine. There are good and bad doctors out there some care more and some care less you have to find the one that is right for you and fits your personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread