My Mother Thinks that E-Cigs "Glorify" Smoking

Discussion in 'Zero Nicotine Vaping and Quitting Vaping' started by mwplefty, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mwplefty

mwplefty Senior Member ECF Veteran

When she found out that I was vaping, she confronted me about it. She told me that while there were no health risks involved, I was still sensationalizing the physical appearance of smokers. She said that I was glorifying the image of a smoker by using an e-cigarette and in some ways, I was taunting non-smokers by using my e-cig indoors where analog smoking is banned. My mother grew up with parents who both smoked. My grandfather smoked about 2-3 packs per day until his death in July 2004. My grandmother smoked about 1 pack per day until she quit in January 2004. My mother and her two sisters never smoked however. I can understand why the visual of a smoker could be bothersome to her, especially since my e-cig looks EXACTLY like a traditional analog cigarette. Yet, I don't see why she should care if I'm using it out of her sight. I think that I look "cool" when I vape. I'm not going to deny my vanity. Therefore, should I just vape when I'm not with her and not tell her that I vape? Or should I try to set the record straight and convince her that it is not the same as smoking harmful cigarettes? I tried the latter option once, but she did not listen.

2. Jason_ESV

Jason_ESV Moved On Verified Member

Sounds like your stuck between a rock and a hard place. That's a tough one.

3. b0redagain

b0redagain Boom... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sounds like you are trying too hard to make her happy and gain her acceptance of your new found life style. I'd just do what I want to do and hope that she will see the good in it at some point.

4. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

you will never change her mind,,she never smoked so she can never understand either

5. bacc.vap

bacc.vap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Seems as though she knows it's not the same as smoking, yet will always associate with smoking due to history and the fact that it looks like smoking. I would'nt try to hard to prove it's worthiness, won't work. I would just keep on vaping and not do it around her, but if I lived with her she would just have to get used to it.

6. jkmtwo

jkmtwo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hmmmm.....lets see here......smoke real cigs and you die..........vape and you live........

IMHO, she can't be reasoned with, as you said yourself, even though there are no health risks involved, it doesn't matter, she obviously can't handle, or even get the fact that you might enjoy this, and at lest its not smoking.

Solution, pretty simple really, tell her that if you are gonna get greif for it, you might as well do the real thing, this is the point where you should light up a real stogie.

At least, that's what I'd do, I'm a smart ....

7. Clovery

Clovery Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

IMO don't vape around her and don't bring it up unless she asks. It's easy enough to go outside or take a few drags in the bathroom and no one will know. It's not worth upsetting your mother and arguing about it. When I smoked, my mom knew and didn't like it so I never did it in front of her. Vaping is the same way - just because it doesn't stink and pollute the air, doesn't mean I should feel entitled to do it when I'm sitting in her living room.

8. arcturus

arcturus Senior Member ECF Veteran

If you're both adults, why is this an issue?

9. Boognish

Boognish Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

.....seriously, live your life and do what you want. mom will love you no matter what.

10. b0redagain

b0redagain Boom... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Or judge you no matter what. That's what mom's do.

11. Penner

Penner Senior Member ECF Veteran

Did you smoke real cigarettes on a routine basis, before you started vaping?

12. Striker911

Striker911 Moved On Verified Member ECF Veteran

Some people fear change due to the unknown. It shouldn't be a big deal though. If it turns out to be a big deal then you might choose not to vape around her. Really your doing better for yourself and your the only one that needs convinced of that in the end. Good luck.

13. yuttynutt

yuttynutt Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    This seems like it could be a touchy subject, but I don't think you should have to go outside or in the bathroom like a teenager who stole one if his dads cigarettes. This is the kind of thing where you should sit down as adults and discuss it. But in the end she is your mother but you should not be made to feel like you're doing something wrong, because you aren't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

14. bmarley5780

bmarley5780 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

leave her.

LOL

15. CheekyMonkey

CheekyMonkey Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

She might have less of a problem with it if you switch to a non cigarette clone PV - an ego or kgo in SS, titanium, chrome, etc is sleek & sexy, especially topped with a slim tank with SS/chrome end caps and a SS drip tip - you'll retain the "cool" factor, but without the appearance of a cigarette, so less risk of her feeling that you're glorifying the image of a smoker. Plus, you'll get better battery life.

Sometimes a little compromise works wonders :)

16. Clovery

Clovery Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It sounds like the OP already discussed it and his mom has her opinion. If I lived with my mom, it'd be a different story, but when I'm just at her house because she invited me over for dinner, I don't have a problem offering to take out the trash and catching my vape then. My mom does a lot for me and I'm willing to minorly inconvenience myself to avoid upsetting her. I guess it might be different if I were a man.

17. wseyller

wseyller Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sounds like she works for the FDA.

18. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Unless you are younger than 18 then your Mother should mind her own business. Some people can't be flipped. Try selling a conservative on a liberal issue or vice versa for example.

Bottom line. Her opinion is her problem not yours. Unless she's paying for your supplies! ;)

19. Malduk

Malduk Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

She's right. And will be right as long as cigarettes are killing people.
    We're not smoking cigarettes, but we do make the act of inhaling, and blowing out stuff, pretty damn sexy. And yummy :2cool:

20. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Back when i took psych 101 in college I remember something I heard that was common sense but also pretty profound. It's that all of us, on some level, are seeking parental approval for our entire lives. It may have been Freud who came up with this or perhaps Abraham Maslow, I can't recall now. In any event, the fact that you are somewhat worried about this is enough in my view. We owe some respect to our parents. At least most of us do.

At the same time, you've got to pursue you own happiness. The next time she brings this up, I'd say something like " I'd just prefer to not discuss it" and then maybe change it to a positive conversation.

People die from smoking yes, people die in car accidents too and no one is proposing that we quit driving. What they do is make seat belt laws so driving is safer. Vaping is a safer alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.