need help choosing battery for Ailien 220W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
Reactions: Cheallaigh

CaponeGiaccone

Mar 8, 2016
The G-Priv is the best in quality and demonstrates new technology, the chip's onboard balance charging within the mod itself, and obviously the touch screen. The Marshall G320 has a cheap feeling to it overall. Poorly constructed materials, overkill level of wattage output-like my Koopor Primus 300-This looks like a cheap mod and I bet it's actually a rip off and makes the ol' Marshall seem great. The features of all 3 mods are the same besides a touch screen and handy and safe internal charging...more wattage? I vape V8-T6 coils in the Sense Blazer tank at 165W all night with LG HB6s and the Blazer ceramic coil at lower wattage with 2,600 mAH + 25 ampswith Sony VTC5As. I just don't see innovation. I can vape 300W on the Primus, but I never use it.

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
The G-Priv is the best in quality and demonstrates new technology, the chip's onboard balance charging within the mod itself, and obviously the touch screen. The Marshall G320 has a cheap feeling to it overall. Poorly constructed materials, overkill level of wattage output-like my Koopor Primus 300-This looks like a cheap mod and I bet it's actually a rip off and makes the ol' Marshall seem great. The features of all 3 mods are the same besides a touch screen and handy and safe internal charging...more wattage? I vape V8-T6 coils in the Sense Blazer tank at 165W all night with LG HB6s and the Blazer ceramic coil at lower wattage with 2,600 mAH + 25 ampswith Sony VTC5As. I just don't see innovation. I can vape 300W on the Primus, but I never use it.
well i bought it because of the looks its the best looking mod ever created

DarrellG

Memba
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2016
Boston Massachusetts
KenD, since you seem to know this pretty well, I hope you, or someone else, can clear this out for me...

Shouldn't the voltage sag of the battery be taken into account when making this calculation?

For example with your 220w calculation...
"242 (220w+10%) / 5.8 (2x 2.9v) = 41.72 amps (per battery)"
...if the 2.9v is measured at rest, which i assume it is, and let's just for this example assume the sag at this point take the voltage to 2.0v at run-time (maybe extreme?), then the calculation of the actual draw from the battery would be more like this, if the actual output to the coil should be able to reach 220w...
242 (220w+10%) / 4.0 (2x 2.0v) = 60.5 amps (per battery)
...or maybe the set/stated watt in the mod is calculated internally based on the voltage at rest, so the actual output watt to the coil would not be the 220w, but rather something like 83.44a (2x 41.72a) x 2.0v = 167w?

Or what else is it that I misunderstand? ...I'd really like to get clear on how this actually works!

@TredecupleCentupleCoil

The 2.9v in your example wouldn't be at rest. The way I understand it is that any time you hit the voltage cut-off, i.e. "weak battery" or whatever equivalent warning, it's due to sag while under load. Meaning it's impossible for a battery's resting voltage to ever reach the actual cut-off (unless you put your mod on a shelf and forgot about it for a long time).

Suppose the cut-off was 3.2v. Your resting voltage could be well above that, but with a high enough amp draw (high wattage) it could drop down to the cut-off (and no lower) when you take a hit. It would then slowly rise back up to a higher resting voltage afterwards.

Hopefully that makes sense. And hopefully that's correct. It's late. :unsure:

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
@TredecupleCentupleCoil

The 2.9v in your example wouldn't be at rest. The way I understand it is that any time you hit the voltage cut-off, i.e. "weak battery" or whatever equivalent warning, it's due to sag while under load. Meaning it's impossible for a battery's resting voltage to ever reach the actual cut-off (unless you put your mod on a shelf and forgot about it for a long time).

Suppose the cut-off was 3.2v. Your resting voltage could be well above that, but with a high enough amp draw (high wattage) it could drop down to the cut-off (and no lower) when you take a hit. It would then slowly rise back up to a higher resting voltage afterwards.

Hopefully that makes sense. And hopefully that's correct. It's late. :unsure:
In the Djlsb vapes review and the test the cutoff was 2.8-2.9v. Now, that could be the cutoff under load, but most mods in Daniel's tests cut off around 3.2v, including ones I have that I know cut the batteries off at around 3.2v resting voltage. Daniel also explicitly comments on the low cutoff of the Alien.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: DarrellG

DarrellG

Memba
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2016
Boston Massachusetts
In the Djlsb vapes review and the test the cutoff was 2.8-2.9v. Now, that could be the cutoff under load, but most mods in Daniel's tests cut off around 3.2v, including ones I have that I know cut the batteries off at around 3.2v resting voltage. Daniel also explicitly comments on the low cutoff of the Alien.

I'll give that a read, thanks. And sorry if my info was wrong; still trying to figure this stuff out and thought I finally had. The saga continues...

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I'll give that a read, thanks. And sorry if my info was wrong; still trying to figure this stuff out and thought I finally had. The saga continues...
Not sure if my info is right :) It would seem that the Alien discharges the batteries lower than e.g. Joyetech mods, but I haven't yet gotten mine (though I will have on Monday, I hope) so I can't say for sure.

Oh, and I really recommend subscribing to the Djlsb vapes channel. The best reviews and tests by far. No other reviewer comes close in expertise and in-depth look at devices.

DarrellG

Memba
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2016
Boston Massachusetts
Not sure if my info is right :) It would seem that the Alien discharges the batteries lower than e.g. Joyetech mods, but I haven't yet gotten mine (though I will have on Monday, I hope) so I can't say for sure.

Oh, and I really recommend subscribing to the Djlsb vapes channel. The best reviews and tests by far. No other reviewer comes close in expertise and in-depth look at devices.

Subscribed. I recognized Daniel immediately from appearances on other shows. Very detailed information. His wording was a touch unclear on the resting voltage/sag issue. I'm thinking I'll drop that question in his comments. Have fun on Monday! :thumbs:

Reactions: KenD

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
FWIW, I use a number of mods in rotation and most cut off at 3v to 3.2v based on readings taken by the Xtar VC4 and Efest LUC 4 chargers. Most are 3v, though, and we never know what the sag voltage was when cutoff was triggered by the mods. By the time we get to the charger the battery voltage has recovered a bit.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Got my Alien yesterday and been vaping it exclusively for 28 hours now (with a pause for sleeping :) ). Getting this kind of battery life out of two 3000 mAh batteries is extraordinary. The batteries are nearly fully discharged now so it'll be interesting to find out what the actual cutoff is.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Got my Alien yesterday and been vaping it exclusively for 28 hours now (with a pause for sleeping :) ). Getting this kind of battery life out of two 3000 mAh batteries is extraordinary. The batteries are nearly fully discharged now so it'll be interesting to find out what the actual cutoff is.

Drained the batteries and their resting voltage came out to 2.9, compared to 3.2v on my Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods and 3.25v on my Ijoy RDTA Box. Remember that when calculating the amp draw and maximum safe wattage when using the Alien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread