FDA New FDA director nominated from American Enterprise Institute

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Trump Nominates FDA Head With Deep Ties To Drug Companies | The Huffington Post
Gottlieb, 44, is a resident fellow at the conservative American Enterprise Institute think tank

"Other companies that may benefit from Gottlieb’s presence are manufacturers of electronic nicotine delivery systems such as e-cigarettes. The American Enterprise Institute has consistently argued that there is no evidence to show that the risk of vaping comes near to the risk of smoking."

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I read the story. I say I'm hopeful, not celebrating. A cousin of mine is now a physcian but was previously a biochemist. His wife is a psychatrist. His wife points out that doctor and scientist are not the same. Sciience is the new kid on the block. Medicine is ancient. Doctors want things that work. The reason it works isn't always so important. vaping works. In the mean time I reached over and swung open the freezer door, 1,2,3...yup, all present and accounted for.

Soooo, I was thinking... We should target the new FDA commisioner, Scott Gottlieb with an email letter writing campaign and a petition when he officially starts at FDA. Gottliebs FDA contact info is not posted as of yet. I'm relishing the moment as I see somone appointed at FDA that could roll back their stormtrooper tactics on e-cigarettes. This subject is what first opened my eyes and started my awareness of the entirety of big government in the USA and how it negatively affects individual liberty. Kind of awesome to witness the changes that have been wrought... :blush:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
More on Gottlieb from an email I received today...

Paul Blair
Strategic Initiatives Director
Americans for Tax Reform

First, read this 2013 Forbes piece written by Gottlieb, "FDA's New Tobacco Scheme, and Its Legislative Underpinnings, May Go Up in Smoke." In the piece, he outlines the two dominant forces at play in the aftermath of the Tobacco Control Act, which brought tobacco products under regulatory control of the FDA. Those two forces were the anti-tobacco crowd (activists) and current and future manufacturers of reduced risk products, like vapor products. In 2013, he concluded that "only one party can win."

To date, the activists have won. Absent immediate changes, the FDA will oversee the prohibition of vapor products in less than two years. But, if confirmed, Gottlieb can put a stop to that. The question becomes, will he? I've got good reasons to believe there's going to be a culture shift at the agency in a way that's more helpful than the status quo.

Second, a bit more on his background. Gottlieb served as Deputy Commissioner for Medical and Scientific Affairs at the FDA under President George W. Bush, is a clinical professor at NYU's School of Medicine and a venture partner at New Enterprise Associates, and is currently a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI).

As I often point out, they're as big a fans of the concept of harm reduction over at AEI as we are at ATR. A few pieces of commentary from AEI's Sally Satel:
Where does this leave us? This nomination continues a significant opportunity for advancing a stated goal of the Trump administration: Big League regulatory reform. Gottlieb is a cancer survivor. He isn't some out-of-touch public health bureaucrat with little to no understanding of the real impact that bureaucracy can have on saving (or destroying) lives. I remain optimistic that this good, very good for the goals of the vapor industry and its millions of consumers who are living healthier lives as a result of market innovations.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Scott Gottlieb: FDA’s new tobacco scheme, and its legislative underpinnings, may go up in smoke (from March 8, 2013)
FDA's New Tobacco Scheme, And Its Legislative Underpinnings, May Go Up In Smoke

Scott Gottlieb knows a lot about TCA and about THR, which is very helpful.
Brilliant find Mr. G. Do you have any more writings like this? I learned some things from this article and that's not so common any more and the author! He avoids taking an obvious position but he's going to be well aware of the issues and able to defend his views on the merits.

More on Gottlieb from an email I received today...

Paul Blair
Strategic Initiatives Director
Americans for Tax Reform

First, read this 2013 Forbes piece written by Gottlieb, "FDA's New Tobacco Scheme, and Its Legislative Underpinnings, May Go Up in Smoke." In the piece, he outlines the two dominant forces at play in the aftermath of the Tobacco Control Act, which brought tobacco products under regulatory control of the FDA. Those two forces were the anti-tobacco crowd (activists) and current and future manufacturers of reduced risk products, like vapor products. In 2013, he concluded that "only one party can win."

To date, the activists have won. Absent immediate changes, the FDA will oversee the prohibition of vapor products in less than two years. But, if confirmed, Gottlieb can put a stop to that. The question becomes, will he? I've got good reasons to believe there's going to be a culture shift at the agency in a way that's more helpful than the status quo.

Second, a bit more on his background. Gottlieb served as Deputy Commissioner for Medical and Scientific Affairs at the FDA under President George W. Bush, is a clinical professor at NYU's School of Medicine and a venture partner at New Enterprise Associates, and is currently a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI).

As I often point out, they're as big a fans of the concept of harm reduction over at AEI as we are at ATR. A few pieces of commentary from AEI's Sally Satel:
Where does this leave us? This nomination continues a significant opportunity for advancing a stated goal of the Trump administration: Big League regulatory reform. Gottlieb is a cancer survivor. He isn't some out-of-touch public health bureaucrat with little to no understanding of the real impact that bureaucracy can have on saving (or destroying) lives. I remain optimistic that this good, very good for the goals of the vapor industry and its millions of consumers who are living healthier lives as a result of market innovations.

The 2013 article by Gottlieb shows he fully understands the two basic forces at work in the governments involvement in regulation of tobacco products. The activists are the force that want to shutter the tobacco industry and anything to do with the tobacco industry entirely. The tobacco industry, being the other force mentioned in the article, wants to survive by adapting to the changed regulatory environment by shifting it's product line to smokeless products, such as e-cigarettes.

What gives me pause, is the fact that the vapor industry is not even mentioned, let alone being considered in this article. Gottlieb had to have been aware of the explodng market for vapor products and the FDA's stance against them in 2013. So, in the article, he does not give any consideration to the vapor industry. If that is still his stance, then I expect to see FDA regs play out as intended. The independent vapor companies will be regulated out of buiness and big tobacco will transition to and own the market for vapor products.

Reactions: LaraC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread