New to rdas and need a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamboozled94

Jun 27, 2016
Heya guys, I'm kinda new to these forum things so bare with me. I've got a few questions about rda builds.

I've been vaping with a smok x cube 2 with a tfv4 since about Christmas. But I've never tried my hand at the rba. I've just recently had given to me a tugboat rda ( The square zombie splatter. I think this one is the clone I'm not 100% sure) and I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'm waiting on 26g kanthal a1 and some cotton bacon. I also have a kit with an ohm meter coming so I think I've got everything I need to start.

I'm just still very unsure about the whole ohms law stuff and how I exactly work it all out. My batteries are 18650 2500mah 3.7v. And does the ohms meter just give me the ohms that it will be firing at straight away? Or do I have to do math ( I'm not very good at math haha!) I don't really understand the whole resistance aspect and everything either. I'm not too good with electrics. But I'm sure with a little help I can understand

I'm also a bit confudulded on the coiling part. I don't get what does what. What does the amount of wraps do? Does more wraps give a lower ohms, or other way around? I understand having dual coils halves the ohms and what not. I am hoping to make a sub ohm build preferably around .2-.5

I hope this all isn't too much to ask for my first time here and all guys. Sorry that it's a lot. Thank you guys for any help, will be much appreciated :)

Reactions: Eskie

bassboy9909

Apr 18, 2016
Indiana,USA
ok here we go I am still kinda new at building coils but i will answer as best as i can

the ohm meter will tell you what your coils are reading and what they are going to fire at.
i have 24 gauge kanthal a1 and my builds come out around .4 to .5 with 8 wraps around a 4 mm pin from a coil master coiling jig
as far as ohms law i have no clue but have used steam engine page but can't figure how to link it but @Bonskibon did post it
the more wraps the higher your resistance will be less wraps less resistance

Reactions: Bamboozled94

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Thank you guys. I understand a little better now. And thank you for posting the site, when I get building I will use it. And also is there a minimum amount of wraps I can do. I've only really seen 7 wraps. Can you do for say 5? And does the size of the hole have anything to do with effecting the resistance?
Everything works together to give the desired results. Be sure to check the "heat flux" as well, that was something new to me that I wasn't aware of at first. Still learning myself. :)

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
the longer the piece of wire the higher the resistance (ohm), it t so a larger inner diameter = more wire, the more wraps = more wire, the higher the number on the gauge of wire = more resistance 28g is higher resistance than 26g etc. the number of coils will halve your resistance...example: a 26g kanthal 6 wraps around a 3mm rod single coil should be close to 0.7 ohms make a second coil exactly the same and the 2 coils will be 0.35 you tube is your friend... watch some coil building tutorials

Bamboozled94

Jun 27, 2016
That's made it a hell of a lot more clearer thank you. I'm still a bit hazel om the heat flux thing. But I'm sure a little bit more reading will help.

Also another thing is do I have to use temp mode? That's another area I'm very unsure of is the temperature aspect of everything. Even down the hot vapour and everything. Not sure what causes it.

And I would be watching videos of it but at the moment I don't have enough Internet data on my phone to do so haha!

I do apologise that I have so many questions guys, but thank you so much for answering them :)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
the thicker the wire ( lower gauge number) the less resistance per inch of wire
the longer the wire, the more resistance occurs. So, as you make the coil with more wraps, the resistance increases...

so basically, a thin ( 30 ga for example) coil that is the same build as a thick ( 22 ga. ) coil will have more resistance than the thicker one...

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Thank you guys. I understand a little better now. And thank you for posting the site, when I get building I will use it. And also is there a minimum amount of wraps I can do. I've only really seen 7 wraps. Can you do for say 5? And does the size of the hole have anything to do with effecting the resistance?

the hole size matters... the larger the hole the more wire is used thus increasing the resistance
the more wraps one uses, more resistance...
try to think of it as how long the wire is ( X ohms per inch)that is required to make the coil.. even tho the coil can be small looking, it can contain up to 3-5" of wire

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm assuming you're putting this on your Smok, not a mech mod, right? If so, it's regulated so you have built in protections. You don't say what kind of batteries you have, but I do hope they're name brand 18650s that are married (kept as a pair and charged together) for your mod.

If you want to build a coil out of Kanthal 26g that's around 0.5 ohm, use this calculator on Seam Engine Coil wrapping. Enter the type of wire, the gauge, and the target resistance, it will tell you how many wraps you will need. If you're doing dual coil, just enter that and it will calculate out the wraps for those coils as well. Good luck!

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Heya guys, I'm kinda new to these forum things so bare with me. I've got a few questions about rda builds.

I've been vaping with a smok x cube 2 with a tfv4 since about Christmas. But I've never tried my hand at the rba. I've just recently had given to me a tugboat rda ( The square zombie splatter. I think this one is the clone I'm not 100% sure) and I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'm waiting on 26g kanthal a1 and some cotton bacon. I also have a kit with an ohm meter coming so I think I've got everything I need to start.

I'm just still very unsure about the whole ohms law stuff and how I exactly work it all out. My batteries are 18650 2500mah 3.7v. And does the ohms meter just give me the ohms that it will be firing at straight away? Or do I have to do math ( I'm not very good at math haha!) I don't really understand the whole resistance aspect and everything either. I'm not too good with electrics. But I'm sure with a little help I can understand

I'm also a bit confudulded on the coiling part. I don't get what does what. What does the amount of wraps do? Does more wraps give a lower ohms, or other way around? I understand having dual coils halves the ohms and what not. I am hoping to make a sub ohm build preferably around .2-.5

I hope this all isn't too much to ask for my first time here and all guys. Sorry that it's a lot. Thank you guys for any help, will be much appreciated :)
You will need to do the Math.

Resistance is determined by the length of wire in the coil. Higher resistance you will use more wraps. A lower resistance coil will have less wraps.

Batteries can only generate x number of amps most often 20 amps some 25-30 amps.

Usd ohms law to determine how many amps you are pulling out of your batteries with the resistance of your coils and the wattage you are using.

Reactions: daviedog

Bamboozled94

Jun 27, 2016
I'm assuming you're putting this on your Smok, not a mech mod, right? If so, it's regulated so you have built in protections. You don't say what kind of batteries you have, but I do hope they're name brand 18650s that are married (kept as a pair and charged together) for your mod.

If you want to build a coil out of Kanthal 26g that's around 0.5 ohm, use this calculator on Seam Engine Coil wrapping. Enter the type of wire, the gauge, and the target resistance, it will tell you how many wraps you will need. If you're doing dual coil, just enter that and it will calculate out the wraps for those coils as well. Good luck!

My one set are samsung and both kept together. And my other set I bought from one of my local vape stores and they are also kept together. They both charge fine and I don't think there are any problems with them. How do I actually check them and know whats wrong or not.

And that calculator worked I think. I think I know what I got to do. But the heat flux is still very confusing.

Also another quick question, what should I fire it on? Watt or temp mode? And can rdas fire on as high as tanks? I mean I fire my tfv4 at 80 watts. Is that safe for an rda?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
My one set are samsung and both kept together. And my other set I bought from one of my local vape stores and they are also kept together. They both charge fine and I don't think there are any problems with them. How do I actually check them and know whats wrong or not.

And that calculator worked I think. I think I know what I got to do. But the heat flux is still very confusing.

Also another quick question, what should I fire it on? Watt or temp mode? And can rdas fire on as high as tanks? I mean I fire my tfv4 at 80 watts. Is that safe for an rda?

Is it safe? Depends on the coil you build. As far s the batteries they sound fine. I'd start out a lower wattage and work your way up to your sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NealBJr

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
flux is still very confusing.
Was confusing for me too at first. That is measuring how much heat is being delivered to your coil. If it's red it's going to be hot. I try and stay within blue, green as I like a cooler vape anyways. Some tweaking to other settings can change how the heat is dispersed.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Ok.. I'll admit, I kind of quickly read the replies, but not in depth, let me go over everything, so if I repeat something someone else said, forgive me. :)

You have a SmokTFV4 and Xcube II. The prebuilt coils are Kanthal. Kanthal is what's called "resistance wire", which means, it resists the energy flow, and turns the resistance to heat. Ohms is a measure of resistance. 0 ohms means it doesn't resist energy at all, .5 ohms means it resists a bit of energy, and 1.0 ohms means it resists even more. If your ohms is too high, you'll have to lower the wattage,, since a higher wattage will make the coil too hot.

Ohms law is simply plugging in two values to get a third.. you have volts, watts, and ohms. Pick two, and you'll be able to get the third automatically. Kanthal heats nicely at around 4.2 to 5 volts of electricity. If you have a low ohm coil, plug in the ohm rating of the coil, the voltage that you want, and you'll get the watts to set it at. There is a handy "ohms law calculator" that can do the math for you. The Xcube will provide the volts depending on what ohms the coil is and the wattage you set it for. The Tri-coil head I have on my mod (I have a TFV4 too) is now reading .22 ohms, so I have it set for 100 watts, and it gives 4.69 volts.....this is what my Releaux gives me.

Now, temperature control is designed for specific wire. Titanium, Stainless Steel and Nickel are what's called "non resistance" wire. It doesn't resist energy that well. However, that wire is special in the fact that the ohms change as it heats up in a very predictable manner. So, when you put a temperature control coil in, you set the "baseline" ohms, so It knows what the coil is at room temperature. As you fire the mod, it tracks the change in ohms as it heats up. Since it's predictable, it knows that when you reach that temperature, the ohms will be "X" more than the baseline.. then it stops. If you try temperature control on a kanthal, I don't know what will happen (I've never done it), so it might burn the coil... for sure, it won't work like it's supposed to.

How high can you go on your RBA.... There's so many factors when it comes to rebuilding that it's not an easy question to answer. The main variables with that, are what ohms you have your coil, how thick your juice is, and how well the RBA section can supply juice, and how well your wick can take the juice. I can almost guarantee it won't take 100 watts. When I rebuild my coils, I usually have it set at 30-40 watts.. but that is the way I coil and build my coils... the best bet, is to start it at a lower wattage, and work up until you can tell it's going dry.. then back off the watts a bit. If it floods, you'll need to rewick it.

26 gauge Kanthal is my preferred wire. I usually wrap it about 8 times, around a 2.5mm rod. the resistance comes out to about 1.8 ohms.. I usually use two coils, so it comes out to .8-.9 ohms once everything is put together.

Steam Engine main page is a good source for starting.. just throw in some numbers and see what you get.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Just to show the difference in heat flux I saved a couple of examples so you see what I'm talking about. I like to vape 1.2 ohm coils at 12 watts. I use 28 gauge wire and you can see in Steam Engine what my results will be. If I change the wire to 30 gauge with the same settings the heat flux jumps and is to hot. Once you play around with the settings a bit you'll be more comfortable.
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Don't use an ID of under 2.5 mm. You run the risk of deforming the coil when wicking.
Dry fire, make sure your coil heats from the center to edges.
Keep legs equal, should not turn red.
Heatflux comes into play when you have built a good coil & would like to use with a different gauge wire in another atty..
My post of the coil wrappings wrong? Don't want to confuse the OP as just understanding myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread