Tugboat rda mech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Wat kind of batterie do I need to go at .16 ohms my vape shop said I can go that low with my setup

With a mech mod, there is NO BATTERY MADE that can go that low safely. Correction, The Sony VTC4 can handle 25A but it gets really hot really quick with that kind of load.

You should really do your own research before building coils. Start with battery safety and Ohms Law. A better understanding of both can be obtained by reading @Baditude blogs.

Baditude's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Its your safety we're concerned with, pulling 25A from any battery in a mech is a risky business. I highly recommend you do some research on battery safety and ohms law and then build yourself a coil setup that your system can handle. If you still insist on going .16ohms then look into getting a regulated mod that will allow builds that low.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well I want clouds . Can I get nice clouds at .5? Just takes longer to heat right ?

You can get great clouds at 0.5ohm, and the thinner wire will heat up and cool down faster making for a better vape! You'll also be using your battery more efficiently and well within the safe limits of the battery.

-Treeburner

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1 to everything everybody else is telling you. Yes, you can get good cloud at .5 ohms-- if you know how to build a coil. If you absolutely have to go lower, get a 2-battery parallel mod-- better still a regulated mod like the Sigelei150-- fill it with VTC4s or HB6s, and you can go down unto the .25-.3 range. Going .16 on a one-battery mod is like getting on your knees and praying for catastrophe. If they told you at your vape shop you could do that on the gear they sold you, you need a new vape shop. Especially now you know more than they do.

ThatGuyIvory

Jul 23, 2015
Warsaw, Poland
I believe the Sigelei will actually allow a .1 ohm, not sure if I would recommend it, but its regulated and if it will allow it then I say safer than on a mech!
Which is a bad idea since it's a regulated device and you don't need to go low to get a good vape. In fact, on .1 build it'll take 3,8-9v to get to 150, pulling almost 40A from the batteries. On a 0.4 build you wouldn't reach 20A and get your power. Conclusion: 0.2 and lower is stupid, dangerous and if that's not enough it's simply ineffective.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
The Sigelei (if Im not mistaken) takes 3 18650 batteries in parallel. That means that while each battery produces 4.2V the Amperage is nearly tripled. If one uses say 3 VTC4s then each battery is rated for 30A(though they get hot quick in that range), meaning there is the potential for using nearly 90A. If Im wrong and its only 2 batteries, then you still have close to 60A. Im not saying that its recommended to pull that kind of amperage, but its there, and in a regulated mod, there are controls to deter dangerous use(it just wont work). I agree that .2 and lower is kinda useless(unless you're dealing in TC mods, which to my understanding work well in the .1-.2 range) and its overkill, but one can vape safely in those ranges and effectively in those ranges given a bit of building experience and the proper coil builds to make use of that added power.

This is my understanding of regulated parallel mods, I dont have have experience with them, though I will be getting one soon(I hope), so if my understanding is incorrect then I will have to do more research.

Again, I am NOT recommending building that low, but, if(and ONLY IF) you have researched properly, you know what you're doing, and you wish to try it, then(and ONLY THEN), will it be allowable provided the mod has the proper safety measures built in.

Reactions: ThatGuyIvory

ThatGuyIvory

Jul 23, 2015
Warsaw, Poland
The Sigelei (if Im not mistaken) takes 3 18650 batteries in parallel. That means that while each battery produces 4.2V the Amperage is nearly tripled. If one uses say 3 VTC4s then each battery is rated for 30A(though they get hot quick in that range), meaning there is the potential for using nearly 90A. If Im wrong and its only 2 batteries, then you still have close to 60A. Im not saying that its recommended to pull that kind of amperage, but its there, and in a regulated mod, there are controls to deter dangerous use(it just wont work). I agree that .2 and lower is kinda useless(unless you're dealing in TC mods, which to my understanding work well in the .1-.2 range) and its overkill, but one can vape safely in those ranges and effectively in those ranges given a bit of building experience and the proper coil builds to make use of that added power.

This is my understanding of regulated parallel mods, I dont have have experience with them, though I will be getting one soon(I hope), so if my understanding is incorrect then I will have to do more research.

Again, I am NOT recommending building that low, but, if(and ONLY IF) you have researched properly, you know what you're doing, and you wish to try it, then(and ONLY THEN), will it be allowable provided the mod has the proper safety measures built in.
It takes 2 batteries, though I do agree with You.
Also my comment, while quoting You, was mostly directed to OP.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
Which is a bad idea since it's a regulated device and you don't need to go low to get a good vape. In fact, on .1 build it'll take 3,8-9v to get to 150, pulling almost 40A from the batteries. On a 0.4 build you wouldn't reach 20A and get your power. Conclusion: 0.2 and lower is stupid, dangerous and if that's not enough it's simply ineffective.

On the sigelei, the most amperage you are going to pull getting to 150w is about 24 amps, whether you are on a 0.1 ohm coil or a 0.25 ohm coil. You have to remember that a regulated mod is going to be pulling the volts the battery is out at the amps needed to get the wattage desired. If you are at 6.4 volts(the bottom end cutoff voltage), it is going to draw 6.4v at 24 amps(technically 23.4375, but we will say 24 after inefficiency), then the mod is going to step the voltage down(sigelei 150w can only output 7.5 volts max, and can't boost the voltage over what the batteries are putting out) and raise the amperage up to what would be needed to hit 150w. You can only hit the full 150w on it through the full charge cycle of the battery if the coil is between 0.1 ohms and 0.273 ohms, since the sig can't boost the voltage. From a full charge until the batteries hit 7.5v, you could run as high as 0.375 ohms, but then you would have to turn the wattage down as your batteries drain.

Examples:

If you are running 150w on a 0.1 ohm coil and the batteries are fully charged and putting out 8.4v, the mod is going to be pulling 8.4v right under 18 amps from the batteries(for sake of math, we are just assuming no voltage drop, though there would be some in the real world). The chip is going to take that 8.4v at ~18 amps and buck it down to ~3.87v at ~38.7 amps. The chip will be handling the ~38.7 amps, not the batteries.

If you are running 150w on a 0.25 ohm coil and the batteries are fully charged and putting out 8.4v, the mod is still going to be pulling 8.4v right under 18 amps from the batteries(for sake of math, we are just assuming no voltage drop, though there would be some in the real world). The chip is going to take that 8.4v at ~18 amps and buck it down to ~6.12v at ~24.5 amps. The chip is going to be handling the ~24.5 amps.

If you are running 150w on a 0.1 ohm coil and the batteries are at the cutoff voltage and putting out 6.4v, the mod is going to be pulling 6.4v at 23.4375 amps from the batteries. The chip is going to take that 6.4v at ~23.5 amps and buck it down to ~3.87v at ~38.7 amps. The chip will be handling the ~38.7 amps, not the batteries.

If you are running 150w on a 0.25 ohm coil and the batteries are at the cutoff voltage and putting out 6.4v, the mod is still going to be pulling 6.4v at 23.4375 amps from the batteries. The chip is going to take that 6.4v at ~23.5 amps and buck it down to ~6.12v at ~24.5 amps. The chip is going to be handling the ~24.5 amps.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Dude, do you even vape?

My Instagram feed leads people to believe I do nothing other than gamble, drink beer, and chuck clouds.

I'm far more diverse than people seem to realize. I also uhh.. Play video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread