Not open for further replies.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Heya @Bamboozled94!

You've gotten some GREAT answers here. Since this is your first adventure at rebuilding, I would recommend that you not try to build some sort of 0.0005 ohm coil ;)

Mebbe in the neighborhood of about 0.5 ohm - let you get your feet wet. Like Neal, I skimmed many of the comments, but the gist is that the longer the wire (stretched out) the more resistance. So, you asked about #wraps - without running through steam engine - it is possible that fewer wraps formed around a LARGER diameter spindle will have HIGHER resistance than more wraps on a smaller diameter spindle.

With most of my RDAs, I usually build on the 2.5mm or 3.0mm mandrels. (I use drill bits a lot, too. 1/16" is "roughly" 1.5mm - which I use for rebuilding my ProTank 2 heads. 3/32" is around 2.3mm; 1/8" is just over 3mm (3.175mm to be more precise))

Also mentioned above - make sure that when you're test firing (AFTER you've measured the resistance elsewhere) that the glow starts in the center and works its way outwards. You can do a little compressing or respacing with some tweezers (without firing the mod! unless you have ceramic tweezers) to even out the glow.

Have fun and continued good luck!

Reactions: daviedog

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Heya guys, I'm kinda new to these forum things so bare with me. I've got a few questions about rda builds.

I've been vaping with a smok x cube 2 with a tfv4 since about Christmas. But I've never tried my hand at the rba. I've just recently had given to me a tugboat rda ( The square zombie splatter. I think this one is the clone I'm not 100% sure) and I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'm waiting on 26g kanthal a1 and some cotton bacon. I also have a kit with an ohm meter coming so I think I've got everything I need to start.

I'm just still very unsure about the whole ohms law stuff and how I exactly work it all out. My batteries are 18650 2500mah 3.7v. And does the ohms meter just give me the ohms that it will be firing at straight away? Or do I have to do math ( I'm not very good at math haha!) I don't really understand the whole resistance aspect and everything either. I'm not too good with electrics. But I'm sure with a little help I can understand

I'm also a bit confudulded on the coiling part. I don't get what does what. What does the amount of wraps do? Does more wraps give a lower ohms, or other way around? I understand having dual coils halves the ohms and what not. I am hoping to make a sub ohm build preferably around .2-.5

I hope this all isn't too much to ask for my first time here and all guys. Sorry that it's a lot. Thank you guys for any help, will be much appreciated :)

I will provide you with a simple analogy which will make it easy to understand basic electricity -----> If you think of electricity flowing through a wire as akin to water flowing through pipes then you can easily learn how electricity behaves in wires ...... In that analogy, the pipes are the wires and the electricity flow (moving electrons) is the water flow .... The smaller you make the diameter of a pipe then the harder it will be for water to flow through it..... In other words, the smaller the diameter of a pipe then the GREATER the resistance to the flow of water....... If you make the diameter of a pipe larger then the easier it is for water to flow through it..... In other words, the resistance to the flow of water DECREASES as you increase the diameter of the pipe......

The same exact phenomenon occurs when you pass electricity (electrons) through wire...... The smaller the diameter of the wire, then the harder it is for electrical current to flow through it...In other words, the electrical RESISTANCE of the wire increases when the diameter of the wire decreases...... Electrical resistance is measured in units called OHMS.......... The higher the ohms then the more resistance to the flow of electricity through a wire or other substance and then the harder it is for electricity to travel through it.........

Another factor that effects how easy or difficult it is for electricity to flow through a wire is the LENGTH of the wire...... The longer the wire, then the more difficult it is for electricity to flow through it .... The reason for this is because those tiny electrons have many obstacles to go through and to get around on their travel through the wire ..... Mainly, they collide with other atoms and molecules that the wire is composed of....The longer the wire is then the more things (atomic wire particles) they have to collide with on their way through the wire ..... The shorter a wire is then the less wire molecules the electrons have to collide with on their travel through the wire and the easier it is for the electricity to flow through the wire....

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bamboozled94

Bamboozled94

Jun 27, 2016
    Thank you all for your help guys, it all payed off in the end. My first attempt came out fine at .48. Flavour is really intense, not a lot of vapour though. But I'm sure with a little more help and plenty of practice I'll be a chimney in no time.

Can you guys suggest some build techniques I can try. I'm willing to get my hands messy and try all types of things guys. So just gimme some ideas.

Thank you all by the way :)

Reactions: AXIOM_1

Continuity

ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2015
    NW, UK
    When you've mastered simple singles, why not try twisted wire coils?

They are good for vapour production and flavour and aren't stupidly power-hungry.

Watch some YouTube videos on coil-building and get some ideas, and see how they're done.

Use Steamengine to make virtual coils and see what wire type, wattage, heat flux (important number - learn what it does and what affects it) and coil diameter affects your coils before you build them.

Reactions: Bamboozled94
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread