Not open for further replies.

Skyway

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2009
NC - USA
www.bsvoboda.com
If you had started back when I did on the Smoking Everywhere cigalikes and see what is going on today you would know that we have been steadily progressing through the years. Most people today don't even know what a standard 510, 901, 801 and 306 atty are. Its not a bad thing though as newer people always bring newer ideas.
I think the next big thing needs to be better battery situations and smaller chips. I think once the Graphene market actually makes it mainstream then we will finally have batteries small enough to make our units even smaller with better configurations.
There are Vapors that like the big box mods because it shows others that they are indeed not smoking a cig and that helps bring focus but there are new people that just don't want to go that route at the beginning. I think because of this Innovation goes a little slower since there are so many different camps to the vaping world.
Slightly off topic but I kind of wonder how many of there will be once all the smokers finally go toward the ecig market and smoking becomes a thing of the past, if that happens then there will no longer any new Vapor's, lol.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Skyway, I do not see an end to smoking and/or use of tobacco products for at least several decades. Maybe longer. Big tobacco also means big bucks and there are at least two or three states and maybe even the politicians who serve these states who rely on the cash from the tobacco crops.

If the US does manage to put a stop to legal tobacco use, there is always the black market and overseas market that will be hard to curb.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Depends on what you mean by "older". I certainly don't miss the 3-piece expensive cigalikes that died if even a tiny bit of juice got into the battery. I don't miss blue foam. I did enjoy making a 510 adapter from an RCA cable, making my own mech by soldering a switch and wires directly onto a battery, and the awesome performance of the WizardStick+turkey-baster (don't miss the batteries it went through, or the eventual clog-and-die, though!)

I do feel that for all types of heads, the unbelievable pace of last year has slowed considerably. Most of it's been done already, and the next level of innovation hasn't seemed to have started yet. I had high hopes that "dripper tanks" would become popular, but unfortunately, the ones that are out there for the most part just aren't very good. With regulated mods, of course, there has been steady feature-building, and quality/performance improvements.

I wonder if the recent increase in discussions of cartos, cartotanks, and gennies isn't at least partially driven by folks who have run out of new things to try, so they're going back to "old" things to try?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I noticed that "younger crowd" big time at Vape on the Bay. There were a few people my age (early 40s), a couple that were older, and LOADS of early 20s. Point of fact, I actually looked at one of the booth babes and asked a buddy if she was even old enough to be there

I'm a bit surprised there were women there...

foolswithsometools

Apr 19, 2015
And I prefer them to know what they're doing, and when they continue doing it with pride and experience, just like your VW. Plus older Audi's didn't fall short either.
Audi is made by VW, and a lot of the less essential parts like plastic cowls and stuff are interchangeable, complete with both VW and audi logos if you look at it
Just saying that "better made" isnt too relevant here, and even less relevant with the vaping world, where an RDA or mod would be about the same manufacturing, materials, and tolerances as years ago

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
So I get it, we all like new stuff. We all want what the cool kids have. The new technology is interesting exciting and challenging. There is however always going to be that new next best thing. How much better is it?

Reminiscent of just a few short years ago when it seemed every few weeks a new faster and better processor came out and everyone now had buyers remorse from their new $2500 Pentium 36..... Remember? Seemed there was a new one out every couple of months for maybe 2-3 years there until ( what I believe happened) the people manufacturing these processors ran out of headroom with the available materials and just couldn't make them go any faster. I feel the vaping community has recently hit that same wall. We've used up all the easy and readily available ideas and materials. Unless we discover or find a new material that suddenly revolutionizes the industry, this is it folks. Sure there may be small improvements here and there but no leaps and bounds.

So just thinking out loud. Was laying in bed this morning trying to decide on my next vaping purchase. I'm seriously considering going "old" school. Thinking about getting a eBaron Pro Dripper by Leo and running it with a cotton/kanthal build.

i remember not to long ago when like the Kayfuns now can hardly be found and are frequently sold out the eBaron's were the same way. What happened? Is the newer stuff really better or is it just marketing and hype?

What older rba's do you still have and still use on a daily?

What at ways have you found to improve the older designs?

I'm at a smaller scale change in mindset as well. I began to stop using huge air flow RDA's like the Mutation X, CLT v2, and went back to the Orchid V4 RTA. Sure, they're all considered "new" school but the Orchid is pretty basic in design. I love it. I've spent a few weeks mastering the proper build to my taste and I don't have to drip every minute. I was thinking about getting a Goblin, Goliath or Silverplay but then thought why? I busted out the drill, modded the airflow on my $6 orchid base and have been loving life ever since.

It doesn't leak with proper wicking and I get bountiful flavor with a slight reduction in production. Who needs clouds when you work in a large skyscraper business setting and only get dirty looks as a result?

Cheers to thinking of ways to improve what you HAVE instead of looking for minute improvements with the next biggest best thing.

VRein

May 6, 2015
If you had started back when I did on the Smoking Everywhere cigalikes and see what is going on today you would know that we have been steadily progressing through the years. Most people today don't even know what a standard 510, 901, 801 and 306 atty are. Its not a bad thing though as newer people always bring newer ideas.
I think the next big thing needs to be better battery situations and smaller chips. I think once the Graphene market actually makes it mainstream then we will finally have batteries small enough to make our units even smaller with better configurations.
There are Vapors that like the big box mods because it shows others that they are indeed not smoking a cig and that helps bring focus but there are new people that just don't want to go that route at the beginning. I think because of this Innovation goes a little slower since there are so many different camps to the vaping world.
Slightly off topic but I kind of wonder how many of there will be once all the smokers finally go toward the ecig market and smoking becomes a thing of the past, if that happens then there will no longer any new Vapor's, lol.
Funny Skyway, I remember those terms - I actually started out on 801's I think it was. Then I found 510 cartomizers that were relatively cheap and suited me just fine, so in the last 5 years, WOW, the vaping industry has totally passed me by. Only in the last month or less have I started to dwelve into RDA, makes it a bit more fun I suppose. One also has to wonder if legislation won't eventually standardize us all ... hope not

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
If my current vaping hardware is obsolete that's just fine with me, I'm satisfied with it, I enjoy it, I'm comfortable with it. I'm not interested in new technical advances in vaping, I am quite happy with what I have. There will always been those who have to push the envelope, and those who will happily pay for the results, I'm just not one of them and never cared to be among the herd. I like what I have and I'm sticking with it regardless of the scornful criticisms of those who have the latest gizmo box.

Strings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Manitowoc WI USA
Hmmm... Let me see. right this minute, I'm running a Kayfun 4 clone on a Sigelei Legend 2. My usual daily setup is the same atty or a Rose 2 on either a Sig mini box or an HB 50 (depending on if I'm riding). Also have an Innokin 134 sitting here (just for giggles)

By no means is any of my gear the "latest and greatest". But it works for me, and that's all I care about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread